Thread: Grand Canyoneering in 3D at Neptune's Boulder, CO, April 5th

Grand Canyoneering in 3D at Neptune's Boulder, CO, April 5th

For all you Front Range canyoneers, save this date! It's just a short drive to Neptune Mountaineering in south Boulder. It should be a great show and not to be missed! Hope to see you there.

Thursday, April 5 at 8 p.m.
    Grand Canyoneering in 3D
    PRICE: $3
    Exploring the Rugged Gorges and Secret Slots of the Grand Canyon! After four years of painstaking work, including some heart-thumping escapades, Todd Martin shares his experience as the first person to systematically explore the technical canyons buried deep within the Grand Canyon. His recently published book, Grand Canyoneering (available at the talk) is the first extensive guidebook covering technical canyoneering in Grand Canyon National Park, highlighting 117 drainages, from Waterholes Canyon upstream of Lee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome! Be there or be talked about!!! Tom

FWIW: John Hart was the first photographer I ever met that was doing 3D, his stuff is amazing. I did a couple trips with John in 2000 that he shot in 3D and that was the first time I had seen it done. His 3D shows are worth seeing.

Don't forget, come on up to Boulder to see this great show on Thursday. I think it'll be awesome!

I'm in for sure...I've been a GC fanatic for most of my life. It was through his book that I discovered this site. Are you going to be there, Tom?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I'm in for sure...I've been a GC fanatic for most of my life. It was through his book that I discovered this site. Are you going to be there, Tom?
    It is a little far for me... so no, I will not be there. But I am sure where will be a good turn out of the canyoneering cognoscenti of Boulder.

Tom

I was there last night, great presentation. There was also a 3D slide show of a bunch of Grand Canyon rafting pics plus some canyoneering of Deer Creek.
    It was funny to hear the Boulder crowd (I am not one of them) laugh at the pics of canyoneering anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    I was there last night, great presentation. There was also a 3D slide show of a bunch of Grand Canyon rafting pics plus some canyoneering of Deer Creek.
    It was funny to hear the Boulder crowd (I am not one of them) laugh at the pics of canyoneering anchors.
    Can you explain/elaborate on your anchor statement please?
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Can you explain/elaborate on your anchor statement please?
    Yeah. When Todd showed the slides of the canyoneering anchors (especially the rock wedged in the crack and the knot block) the crowd kind of laughed like they were disapproving (not a loud laugh, though). I got the impression that they thought the anchors were very sketchy compared to what they (presumably as rock climber/mountaneer types) were used to or comfortable with.

I guess a lot of canyoneering anchors might be sketchy compared to what climbers (especially sport climbers) use, but the difference between relying on an anchor to catch a fall of a lead-climber compared to transient anchors (sand trap seems to be a great example here) used for a smooth rappel was probably not something the crowd was considering. They also seemed to disapprove of the dead-man anchor in one of his pics. I am sure that some of the members of the crowd have done canyoneering, but the percentage of folks who have is probably significantly less than it would be in a city that is closer to the actual canyons.

This is my impression from sitting in the crowd and hearing whispers and quite laughing among some of the crowd members.

Thanks - I can understand these observations.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden