Thread: Welcome to the Jungle!

Welcome to the Jungle!

I finally finsihed the trip report from my last trip to Central America back in 2008-2009. It's not quite as exciting as some of our new reports (the kids were younger back then), but I hope you enjoy it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview

This is the story of a spectacular journey we took through Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador between December 18 2008 and January 5 2009. Participants were my wife Kimberly, my six year old son Kessler and my four year old daughter Shaylee. We climbed several rugged mountains, explored deep gorges, climbed to beautiful waterfalls and saw much wildlife. The photos will tell most of the story.

Kessler and Jesse climbing one of the difficult waterfall pitches in the Ca
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

[B]Monta
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Wow. Pretty cool, Scott.

The tall summits are kinda on my list of things to do down there. Nice to see some photo's of them. Not super popular, I'd imagine!?

Not super popular, I'd imagine!?
    The country highpoints in all of CA are somewhat popular, at least comparitively (one reason I've climbed most of the highpoints in CA isn't
    necessarily because those were the most interesting mountains or to highpoint, but because they tend to have the better marked trails/routes [off trail hiking in thick jungle is quite challenging!] and are easier to get to [though that is also comparitive since they are still quite challenging as well]).

We met one father and son climbing Celaque and the trails are in fairly good condition. El Pital has people living high on the mountain (some things they grow there only grow up high) and has a communication tower up high (but we took the more scenic hiking trail).

Outside this TR (and ones we visited on a previous trip), the high peaks and volcanoes around Costa Rica are popular and some of the active volcanoes are as well, but other than the country highpoints and a few active volcanoes, most of the mountains aren't too popular (I've been to all CA countries except Belize) and most are very seldom climbed.

The Pico Bonito area (where the waterfalls in this report are located) certainly has the most spectacular, rugged and scenic mountains in CA, but they aren't something we could try with kids. You would probably like them though.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

punta sal honduras