Thread: Worm Moon

Worm Moon

I've tried to get a photo of the full moon rising over Mount Garfield a few times over the last year without much luck. All day it was cloudy and overcast so I thought today would be the same, but an hour before the moon was set to rise the sky began to clear. I decided to head out and see what kind of photo I could get. The sky above the Book Cliffs was a bit hazy, but the moon was still visible. I'm not completely happy with this photo, but so far it's the best I've been able to get. I'll keep trying for a better one!

Moon Over Mount Garfield by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Here's a photo of the moon alone once it cleared the low layer of haze in the sky.

Worm Moon by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great pic
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

nice shot Randy I saw it but was still at work lol

Stunning shots Randy.
    Greg

I was looking at it rising and setting and hoping someone got it. It was full (or close) and on the East horizon at dusk and again on the Western horizon at dawn. Perfect timing. That can't happen too often.

Nice pic. I am jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    It was full (or close) and on the East horizon at dusk and again on the Western horizon at dawn. Perfect timing. That can't happen too often.
    It actually happens every month. The day before the true full moon.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

So I am thinking.....wow, can that be right? (and it pretty much is) I think that there has to be some variation anyway (there is) and then I guess that it would match closest near the equin...uh....equin....uh....whatever the plural of equinox is. And....I was exactly wrong on that though the time delta between twilight and rise/set would seem to match best in the spring for lower daylight; or at least based on my 3 month, random sampling anyway. then again, there is a 50/50 chance that I wrote it down wrong or blew the math.

Bonner county Idaho:

Jan 8 2012: Twilight 0700, moonset 0657; twilight ends 16:46, moonrise 1456 (exact on one about 2 hr delta on the other I would call this one a no go or I got the date wrong)
    July 2 2012: Twilight 0409, moonset 0344; twilight ends 1931, moonrise 1956 ( 25 min and 24 min good shot for daylight with moonset/rise shot)
    Mar 5 2012: Twilight 0547, moonset 0432: twilight ends 1809, moonrise 1451 (1 hr 15 and 1 hr 18 min)

Nice capture!