Thread: Cave disclosure.

Cave disclosure.

After 2 recent discoveries I'm conflicted about whether or not I should disclose the location of 2 local area caves to the forest service (both caves are on forest service land). I feel like this would maybe draw unnecessary attention to these caves. They are remote, uncomfortable and fairly unremarkable as far as caves go and pose little hazard to those who might venture in as far as I've explored, but even so, do I have any obligation to disclose their location?

Edit: There is absolutely no evidence that anyone has ever been inside before. Not even footprints in the long undisturbed soil on the floors. I'm confident that I'm the only person, at least in my estimation, that has been inside in recent history. There are stories told locally that there are other caves nearby that contain Indian artifacts and even remains. If found, should these be disclosed? Does the presence of historical significance change my obligation?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would not tell the Forest Service if they don't know about them good :).. and if there is historical signifigance to some caves I would talk to the UofU Anthropology department before going to the FS :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    even so, do I have any obligation to disclose their location?
    YES- Disclose them to me! LOL. I'd definitely be interested in going along with you to explore them more.

On a more serious note- no obligation to tell the Forest Service. What would it accomplish other than tipping off the bureaucracy.

The Fed's are the biggest grave robbers on the planet..... Universities are probably the second biggest grave robbers on the planet.... just sayin'

Maybe you could make an anonymous phone call, don't give details on the location, but maybe hear what they have to say regarding benefits of disclosing that information. After all, what would really be the benefit of telling them?

Don't tell them. They'll probably gate it off or make it so you have to get a permit to go inside. I think things like this are best left known only to those who discover them, and whoever they chose to share that with. Maybe someone else will find it later on, and think that they're the first to be there - that's always such a cool feeling, and telling the fs would probably put an end to that type of thing...