Thread: Main Blarney, Right Leprechaun and Lucky Charms

Main Blarney, Right Leprechaun and Lucky Charms

After canceling a couple trips recently due to weather concerns, I finally made the long trip from Boulder down to the North Wash for some winter canyoneering.

Left friday evening with three friends and we camped by Goblin Valley hoping we could pick up some propane in Hanksville the next morning (we couldn't, sold out at 3 places). I'd driven by the road many times, but had never gone into Goblin Valley and we decided to check it out... was very unique and well worth the $7 dollars. I live in Boulder, CO and I recently heard an advertisement for Goblin Valley on NPR in Denver, thought that was kinda strange.

Saturday we descended Blarney. We encountered no water, the navigation was straightforward and the anchors were rigged already.

Sunday we did The Right Fork of Lep. I'd read accounts of groups dropping into the wrong drainage so I was anticipating some route finding, but it really wasn't too bad. Here's how we found our way. There is a drainage between Sandthrax and Leprechaun. From the widest spot in the Sandthrax Campsite road look north up that drainage and you will see a prominent cliff with a rock formation (that kinda looks like a diving board) pointing left (west). Hike up the sandstone slope to your right (east) until you get to this cliff with the diving board lookin rock. When you arrive, stay to the left of the formation and keep the cliff to your right (walking at the bottom of the cliff). There is a foot trail that leads to the head of the canyon.
    We encountered water in one pothole, but it was fairly easy to stem over.
    We re-rigged the deadman at the second rappel. The webbing was too short and the setup was causing pretty bad rope grooves. The only webbing I had long enough was bright green (sorry everyone, I know it's tacky) but now the quick-link is just over the edge so no rope grooves and the start of the rappel isn't even that awkward. What a beautiful canyon. One of my buddies and I hiked up Belfast Boulevard to the confluence with The West Fork of Lep... we really enjoyed it, definitely heading down The Main Fork next trip.

The last day we ascended/descended The Lucky Charms. We had a map from Tom's website with arrows suggesting we go up the East Charm and head down the West Charm and we had a map from Todd's Hiking Guide suggesting the opposite direction. We went with Tom's suggestion and it turned out to be the right choice without a doubt. The slot heading up the East Charm is a tight and short one, a couple little upclimbs with one fun and challenging climb up a fluted dryfall towards the end of the slot. This climb can be bypassed easily. We re-rigged a deadman anchor on the second rappel heading down the West Charm to eliminate rope grooves.

Overall it was a fun and safe trip with good friends and the best weather one can hope for when canyoneering in February.

-Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images               

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! I did those ones last year with a buddy. They are all really fun. Have you checked out shillelagh? There is a 45' and 106' rappel in it that are pretty fun and it is the exact same approach as Blarney. You just go left near the end of the approach.

You chose the good fork of Blarney! (in my humble and also correct opinion). Sweet pictures!
    --Cliff

Mountain Man
    Nice TR, thx.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Some fun canyons, I did Blarney a couple times last year. I even took a scout group down Blarney, and they loved it (thanks North Wash Outfitters). I do have to agree with Dan-wild, shillelagh has a great rap, although the rest of the canyon isn't as fun as Blarney.

Nice! Its funny, the cliff around the entrance to Blarney makes that first rap look menacing. From my perspective, the cliffs around created an optical illusion. I swore the first rap was 80 feet before we went off. (that rap is more like 40 feet if I remember correctly) Once we got down, I looked up and thought wow, that was no big deal...

Anyway, still looks like 40ish feet in your photos. Nice job!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

That last picture is top notch! Fun trip!
    Darin