Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Not Murder an Amazing Camera

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Semi hard case, double dry bags and buried in the pack. I don't get it out unless I'm inspired. Oh, and a tripod is essential too. But that's just me.......
    Where was that picture taken? Like, seriously. That is awesome!
    --Cliff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Where was that picture taken? Like, seriously. That is awesome!
    Looks kind of like boundary...
    - Gavin

Yup, second to last waterfall in Boundary

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Around my house, this very system is know to fail. Don't ask me how I know.

(Edit: I used a ziplock that had seen better days, and a camera sized drybag hung on the outside of my pack. I soon discovered this setup was worthless.)

Bob
    Must be "user error" I've only had water problems TWICE. First was when it got left hanging it on a fence post before a surprize summerand the second was when my wife needed a couple extra inches of 'lean' to get the right perspective at the community pool. Everyone else thought it was great watching "the lady in a white shirt and skirt climbing out of the pool holding a camera above her head." That D70 was awesome - it lived through both events after drying on the dash for a few days.

I've never had a problem in dozens of canyons with the D700. Judging by all the holes in my pack, hanging a drysack on the outside of my pack is the last place I'd put anything of value unless I wanted to convert the drysack to a wetsack! A couple bumps against the sandstone and the camera is going swimming too. Maybe try the setup again with something less valuable but bury it deep in the pack under something like rope. Then carry the PS for the quick shots. Also, when packing the bag within a bag, I always have the "opening" ends on opposite ends. Not sure if that does anything, but I've convinced myself that if water were to get in one end, gravity will keep it away from the other end. YMMV If money was no object I'd buy a dedicated case.

It has been mentioned before, but I use a Pelican case (either the 1120 or the 1200...not sure) for my XSi. I have taken it through numerous canyons including wet canyons (Boundary for example) without any problems. The only issue is it is a bit bulky and its edges are a little hard on the pack it is riding in (assuming the pack is stuffed full). It is also a process to get the camera in/out (open the pack, get out the case, open the case)...but probably easier than the double dry bag technique. An added benefit is that the case protects the camera from the canyon walls. There are definitely some cons, but it is the best solution I have found for an SLR.

FWIW: I carry my camera in a small drybag in the top of my pack. I place a bandana in the drybag and it will soak up any minor leakage. I've been carrying my camera this way for more than 20 years and never ruined one from water..... I have destroyed around a half dozen camera's in the slots in other ways.... dirt, dropping, smashing, yada, yada... but never from water.

I have witnessed every type of system mentioned so far fail. Drybags normally fail because someone did a crappy job of folding and sealing them. I'm watched several keg's fail, mostly from the lids cracking. And I wouldn't trust anything to a Pelican as I've seen them fill with water dozens of time for a multiple of reasons.

All the systems mentioned work better if carried in the top of your pack. As many of you have probably noticed the top pocket of you pack has a tendency to stay pretty dry most of the time. The bandana trick works with all the systems mentioned and I highly advise adopting it.

If you do dunk an electrical devise do not turn it on. Instead take out the batteries, and allow it to dry thoroughly for a couple of days. Then put it back together at which time it may or may not work. But if you turn on an electrical devise with water inside you will fry the circuits for sure.

Hope that helps someone....

Protecting a camera is always tough. I used lots of different options. I have a canon s95 in a housing. I also use GoPro's, but my main go to body is a panasonic GH2, and I carry it in a chest harness in an ortlieb dry camera bag. As long as you are careful, it won't fail. It's about as good as it gets in my experience.

That said, I've lost my fair share of cameras. Thousands of dollars worth. It's part of the gamble.