Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Not Murder an Amazing Camera

How to Not Murder an Amazing Camera

The following is a hypothetical question about canyoneering with camera equipment:

One day Gigantor was sitting around the office drinking coffee. He was in a bad mood. His coffee seemed especially bitter for some reason.

[SIZE=2]Last weekend he successfully soloed Keeper Pothole Canyon. Upon returning to the office, everything appeared somewhat bleak, like he was watching a TV with the color saturation turned down. How could such an awesome adventure leave him so unfulfilled? The Bogleyites were fawning over his Trip Report. GoPro had even contacted him with a sponsorship offer. Yet, the video he posted to the timeless track ‘Thunderstruck’ left his artistic side feeling empty, like some sort of cheap cookie-cutter clich
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Reminds me of this.....

4. Likes The Good Cop liked this post
    [QUOTE=Slot Machine;490075]The following is a hypothetical question about canyoneering with camera equipment:

One day Gigantor was sitting around the office drinking coffee. He was in a bad mood. His coffee seemed especially bitter for some reason.

[SIZE=2]Last weekend he successfully soloed Keeper Pothole Canyon. Upon returning to the office, everything appeared somewhat bleak, like he was watching a TV with the color saturation turned down. How could such an awesome adventure leave him so unfulfilled? The Bogleyites were fawning over his Trip Report. GoPro had even contacted him with a sponsorship offer. Yet, the video he posted to the timeless track

Mountain Man
    In all seriousness, I would strongly urge you to forgo carrying such equipment in a technical canyon.

A small waterproof p&s in a soft case slung close to the chest is leagues better. I've carried a dslr, a g10, and several p&s'es. My best shots have been from the p&s'es over the years. The others are too hard to tote, too cumbersome to pull out, and too delicate with wet and sandy hands around. You end up not pulling the fine cameras out, plain and simple.

In something like Coyote Gulch, by all means. But otherwise I just wouldn't.

Sent from my ICS'd Vibrant

I so know how it goes.

Name:  camera..jpg
Views: 475
Size:  58.0 KB

If you really feel like taking some top-notch pictures then why not bring a nice camera? These people are just haters! If you don't mind the hassle of getting it out when you want to snap a shot then: stick it in a case, some foam, a dry-bag, a keg, a nice sturdy backpack, and then put it in a portable nuclear silo...wait. ..maybe you shouldn't.

I have been considering adding a Canon G-12 point-n-shoot (PNS) for just such reasons. It has the digic IV processor and though I don't have one have seen spectacular photos. i think I do take canyon/climbing trips where the SLR is just too bulky. I take it, but it doesn't come out much unless I stop for a bit. I could use a quality, PNS for some trips. However, all my money went to replace the SLR in the picture in by previous post. Maybe a future purchase.

DesertDuke

G-12 is a very good camera but a bit bulky. Take a look at its sister camera the s100. I believe they have similar sensors but the s100 is a smaller package. I love that the lens goes to 24 mm for wide views. It has a reasonable high res video. Canon makes a practical underwater case for these cameras that will protect the camera from the canyon environment yet allow you to take great photos. Yes its bulky but not too bad.

Here's a photo for the case for s95, the prior model:

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    I so know how it goes. Name:  camera..jpg
Views: 475
Size:  58.0 KB
    Duke... you can't post a picture like that without a story.

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Canon makes a practical underwater case for these cameras that will protect the camera from the canyon environment yet allow you to take great photos. Yes its bulky but not too bad.
    Another option is the Canon PowerShot D10 (what I use). It is very durable, I've taken it snorkeling, snowboarding and canyoneering many times. I even sanded off part of the lens housing while sliding through Middle Leprechaun and it still works great. I highly recommend it for canyoneering, although I would like to take some better pictures than it is capable of.

I think the PNS with the underwater case is a good compromise between my D20 and your high end camera.

But lets say I'm hell bent on taking an epic photo like Dan Ransom's 'Escaping the Pit of Despair'. http://500px.com/photo/833594
    What kind of cases would you use when venturing out with a $12,000 camera? Do you do anything special to clean it when you return?

And a question that is slightly off topic, but still canyoneering specific: how do you keep the lens from fogging up in a cold damp canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    Insurance :)
    Do you have any experience with this? Does insurance cover smashing a camera in a canyon? Are you talking about an extended warranty or is there a separate company that insures such things?
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Good questions

For the fogging question, the camera case I showed has room for a desiccant. I use Pioneer's Moisture muncher. For small electronics that have done more swimming than they were designed for, I throw them into a Bheestie bag(bheestie dot com) when I get back to the car. REI has this in stock in Los Vegas and Scottsdale. If your item has a pulse there is hope but it doesn't work miracles. For example I had a swim watch that I did not correctly screw down the crown. It filled with water. A day in the Bheestie bag and 24 hours in the oven on low; well let's just say that it is taking an extended vacation in Switzerland with the watchmaker for the next 6 months. Transitions from a warm to a cold environment can be an issue for internal fogging but so far, I have not had this issue.

Ken

To paraphrase one of my favorite saying…..

There are two types of canyoneers in the world.... Those that have trashed a camera in a slot canyon and those that are going to trash a camera in a slot canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Do you have any experience with this? Does insurance cover smashing a camera in a canyon? Are you talking about an extended warranty or is there a separate company that insures such things?
    I have a separate policy for my camera gear through the insurance company that I have my homeowners and car insurance with.

Though I have not had to make a claim yet, I sat down with my agent and made sure my gear would be covered if it was lost, stolen or damaged. I asked what would happen if I dropped it in a river or off a cliff....I was told it would be covered, I just have to pay the deductible.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

[QUOTE=Iceaxe;490157]To paraphrase one of my favorite saying
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Duke... you can't post a picture like that without a story.
    I WISH that one came with an epic story. "Yah......there I was, 10 thousand feet in the air, hair on fire, parts flapping in the wind......" Something starting like that.......but actually.....upon arrival in Southern Utah headed for some canyons, Mrs DesertDuke knocked it out on the ground while closing the door of the Suburban. "Hmmmm...I felt a bump, better see if I ran over anything". This was, of course, right at the beginning of the weekend canyon trip so I went the entire weekend sans camera. We are from Idaho so returning for a camera or anything else is/was out of the question. Perfect light the entire weekend? Of course there was!! I think missing the photos was more lost value than the camera itself. I did keep it and plan on pranking her later with a fake drop of the new one.

I usually put the SLR inside a 2-gallon ziplock freezer bag and then put that in a lightweight dry sac. I use a new freezer bag each trip. It's much cheaper than a dedicated case and it works. I usually only do this if the canyon is limited to a few swims. A lot of water in the canyon makes it not worth the effort.

And while you're being ever so careful with the multi-thousand dollar SLR, don't forget about the cell phone in your pocket before swimming.

BTW - I've had great success using the dash of the car in the summer time to bake out SLRs and cell phones. Usually just need to replace the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Exergy View Post
    I usually put the SLR inside a 2-gallon ziplock freezer bag and then put that in a lightweight dry sac. I use a new freezer bag each trip. It's much cheaper than a dedicated case and it works. I usually only do this if the canyon is limited to a few swims. A lot of water in the canyon makes it not worth the effort.
    Around my house, this very system is know to fail. Don't ask me how I know.

(Edit: I used a ziplock that had seen better days, and a camera sized drybag hung on the outside of my pack. I soon discovered this setup was worthless.)

Luckily my mistake only cost a nominal amount of money and a few picutures of The Subway. I'm wondering what people use when they take a pricey camera down a narrow physical canyon? A canyon where the zip-lock system would spell certain doom for your gear. Let's mix in a couple of swims just for fun. Has anyone tried an Otterbox for their SLR?

Bob
    Last edited by Slot Machine; 03-04-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: the ziplock method usually works, it failed once for me

Bob

I use two roll top dry bags when I bring my leica or my SLR 5D: one inside another. The whole package stays inside a third larger roll top dry bag that lines my pack unless I am taking a photo. It is a pain but so far no harm to a lot of price camera gear. Great images, I love wide but it's a big effort. I'll attach a couple of images taken with these cameras. The canon S90 in the submersible case is a dream by comparison. Even this spends a lot of time in the pack. Once home every thing gets blown out with dry compressed air to remove the fine Colorado Plateau red dust.

The Subway images are shot with the Canon 5D with a 14-40mm lens. The Golden Cathedral shots are take with a Leica M9 using an Elmarit 2.8/21 mm asph and an external view finder. Nice glass is good.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images      

21. Likes accadacca, The Good Cop liked this post
    Semi hard case, double dry bags and buried in the pack. I don't get it out unless I'm inspired. Oh, and a tripod is essential too. But that's just me.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

23. Likes accadacca, The Good Cop liked this post
    Love that image! High dynamic range? I may have to break down and use my tripod more.

Ken