Thread: Wire Pass conditions

Wire Pass conditions

Well, here goes. Can someone state how difficult or easy the passage currently is thru the wire pass. I have read about a couple of drop-offs but I know this can change with flash floods and we are planning on doing our first hike in Buckskin a mile or three and then return the same way. I also have Multiple Sclerosis so I am not quite as capable as I once was physically but still can climb and walk/hike several miles on most days (it's a variable kinda thing). Thanks for any input or suggestions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I assume you are planning to drive down House Rock Valley Rd., to the parking area and then proceed east down Wire Pass to the Buckskin Junction; and then possibly walk into Buckskin and back. First, there is a minimal day use fee, for each vehicle; Second, the wash is wide and open all the way to the NCButtes turnoff and then is semi open and then somewhat constricts. There are some minor down climbs but nothing difficult (for children or older adults). Finally, one reaches the confluence of Buckskin. Once at Buckskin, if the stream is running, and water level is high, like knee deep, I'd not proceed unless you have neoprene, some ropes and hiking poles. I was there last fall (have been in and out of Wire Pass many times); don't know status of slot this winter/spring. (If for some reason it's a rainy period and the river next to the HRValley parking area is running, I'd not get anywhere near the lower slot of Wire Pass.) Otherwise, personally, I'd not worry about it. If Buckskin is (mostly) dry, it's very beautiful and a worthy trip. It's also legal to walk around the north edge of Coyote Buttes (outside management zone); that can be done on the same day you go down Wire Pass to Buckskin.

Here is a picture of the biggest obstacle in Wire Pass

Name:  Buck07s..jpg
Views: 451
Size:  16.7 KB

You will notice hikers pile rocks up at the base to make the drop a little easier. Current conditions normally depend on how high the pile of rocks are. The picture is a couple years old but the obstacle never changes too much. Hope that gives you some idea.

Everything else you could ever want to know about Wire Pass and Buckskin is here:
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

This picture is just below the confluence of Wire Pass and Buckskin
    Name:  buckskin2..jpg
Views: 460
Size:  18.7 KB

We hiked Wire Pass and a little ways into Buckskin Gulch on 3/13. The picture Iceaxe posted above was the biggest obstacle and it was not difficult. From the trailhead we hiked about two hours then turned around - although we didn't get that far into Buckskin Gulch on account of all the stoppage time for pictures and a four year old looking for ghosts. It was dry as far as we went. Not sure how that has changed with the recent weather there.

The road to the trailhead had some washboarding and some hard ruts, but wasn't a problem (we had a Jeep Liberty).

I have pictures of some of the rock obstacles, but haven't posted them yet - will take awhile to go through all the pictures. :P

Enjoy!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by pudgy_groundhog View Post
    We hiked Wire Pass and a little ways into Buckskin Gulch on 3/13. The picture Iceaxe posted above was the biggest obstacle and it was not difficult. From the trailhead we hiked about two hours then turned around - although we didn't get that far into Buckskin Gulch on account of all the stoppage time for pictures and a four year old looking for ghosts. It was dry as far as we went. Not sure how that has changed with the recent weather there.

The road to the trailhead had some washboarding and some hard ruts, but wasn't a problem (we had a Jeep Liberty).

I have pictures of some of the rock obstacles, but haven't posted them yet - will take awhile to go through all the pictures. :P

Enjoy!

Katherine from POTN?

Welcome to bogley. Aren't you hiking down the Grand also?

Yep! Memorable user name, right? ;-) I recognize your username ... different avatar though. ha ha. I thought I saw another use or two from POTN as well on here? Win?

We did spend some days in Grand Canyon. Hiked down the South Kaibab, two nights Bright Angel CG, one night Indian Garden, and out. Great trip except for snow the last day - I ended up carrying my daughter and her feet got really cold. Otherwise, we all had a great time!

Yes Win is on here also, Stan used to but not for a couple of years.

Would love to see your Grand Photo's and others on your trip.

I need another vacation just to go through all the pictures. lol. Will definitely post some as I go through them. We were in the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, then the rest of the time in Page. Fantastic trip!

If your still in the Wirepass area, consider a hike out to Cobra Arch, we were there a little over a week ago, some great rock formations besides the arch.

thread is 3-4 down from this one.

Unfortunately, we are back home now. Cobra Arch sounds familiar, but would have to read up on it. Future trip .... we'll definitely be back there!

Quote Originally Posted by pudgy_groundhog View Post
    Unfortunately, we are back home now. Cobra Arch sounds familiar, but would have to read up on it. Future trip .... we'll definitely be back there!
    Ah--dang, now ya have to come back, I'm guessing you had a great trip.

Thanks for the pictures, I can definitely handle the small boulder drop. Have not been back to southern Utah for seven years and have been aching to return. Just did'nt figure on getting thrown for a physical loop a few years ago, but told my wife I need to get out there at least one more time and have been working hard to strengthen myself. Planning on checking out Buckskin, Whitehouse to confluence (if the legs hold up), Hackberry, Yellow Rock, Toadstools, and drive down to old paria (love that surreal location), 2 days at Bryce and maybe Willis Creek. I am a southern Utah junkie getting hooked 9 years ago. Have spent endless hours scouring Google earth and reading Kelsey's paria river book. More pictures would be great if you find the time.

Sorry to hear about the MS. But that's great you are still out exploring and enjoying. :)

This was the worst part in Wire Pass and it wasn't too bad. We were able to get back up and over without the rocks, but the people behind us took time to stack the rocks up and they made it fine.

Name:  IMG_0706..jpg
Views: 365
Size:  132.5 KB

There were a few places like this, but no problem:

Name:  IMG_0886..jpg
Views: 349
Size:  162.2 KB

We also went to several of the places you mentioned. I posted a sampling of some of our pictures on Facebook (all unedited - it was basically just to show my mom and some friends) if you want to look:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s....703034&type=3

If you've read the Kelsey books, you'll like this. We were getting ready to hike to Yellow Rock when a guy comes by on a four wheeler. He pulls up to talk to us (he was looking for some errant cows) and turns out it was Ralph Cheynoweth - the guy who first found Hidden Cache when he was a teen. We had just read that story the day before, so it was neat to run in to him. He was really friendly and we talked for awhile about his story, growing up in the area, ranching, etc. Really nice guy.

FYI, you might already know this, but when we were there Cottonwood Canyon Road was closed about 15 miles or so from Highway 89. We had planned to drive the road, but changed plans once we found it was closed (river crossing the road - or a "big mud puddle" as the BLM put it).

Sounds like you'll have a great trip!

Hi Katherine, great to see you here. Sounds like you had a terrific trip,some nice pictures on FB.
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Thanks Win! We did have a great time - can't wait to get back!