Thread: Teacher Leaves Family for Student

Teacher Leaves Family for Student

MODESTO -- A 41-year-old Enochs High School teacher in Modesto has resigned and moved in with an 18-year-old student.
    The reaction has been largely shock, disapproval and betrayal.
    The teen's mother has waged a very public campaign on Facebook since last week, when her daughter moved out of the family's home and into a Modesto apartment with the man. He has left his wife and children, one of whom is a junior at Enochs.

Modesto police are investigating whether there was inappropriate contact before the girl turned 18 in the fall.
    And school district and teachers union officials worry that an ethical and moral line has been crossed, even if the student is legally an adult.
    James Hooker was placed on paid administrative leave Feb. 3 by Modesto City Schools and resigned Feb. 22, he said Tuesday. Hooker taught business and computer classes, and he was an adviser to three active campus clubs.
    "In making our choice, we've hurt a lot of people," Hooker acknowledged. "We keep asking ourselves, 'Do we make everyone else happy or do we follow our hearts?' "
    Hooker and Enochs senior Jordan Powers said Tuesday in an interview at The Bee that they are making a life for themselves "day by day."
    Powers was in Hooker's virtual business class and an associated club until his suspension. They said they met when she was a freshman.
    Tammie Powers, Jordan's mother, said she believes Hooker pursued her daughter. She said her daughter's grades fell this year, and Jordan had panic attacks.
    "I believe it was the stress of the lie," Tammie Powers said. She said her daughter was "always compliant," kept her room tidy at their Waterford home and minded her curfew. No R-rated movies until she was of age. No lone trips to the mall or the movies.
    "I was really, really careful. I wanted her to be safe," she said.
    "In hindsight, in retrospect, I should have looked at things differently," Powers said.
    Powers said her first inkling that her daughter was involved with her teacher came Jan. 16, during her young son's trip to the emergency room. Hooker came to the hospital with her daughter, who left her phone with an older sister.
    The sister, suspicious, found dozens of text messages from Hooker. Powers said when she confronted her daughter, she denied any romance existed. Still worried, Powers contacted Modesto police detectives the next day.
    Looking back over phone records, she said she found an estimated 8,000 text messages between the teacher and student going back through the summer. In the fall, about 32 texts a day, starting at 6 a.m. were recorded, she said.
    School officials contacted her about a week later with concerns, she said. Discussions between police, school and the family continued for another week, ending with Hooker's suspension Feb. 3.
    At that point, Powers said, she was assured by school officials that Hooker would stay away, and her daughter said she was done with Hooker.
    "She promised me they didn't have contact. I didn't know until last week there was a sexual relationship. We didn't see any of it," Powers said.
    Jordan Powers' father died in 2001. Tammie Powers is engaged, and her fianc

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Man, this girl is going to look back at all this someday and figure out how screwed up it is.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Good for him. You only live once, and young and supple is quite nice. I would imagine that most men over the age of 40, having a shot at an 18 year old, would take it. I know I would! Some people may not like that, but it's true. Screw morality...

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Good for him. You only live once, and young and supple is quite nice. I would imagine that most men over the age of 40, having a shot at an 18 year old, would take it. I know I would! Some people may not like that, but it's true. Screw morality...
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but wow. I'm guessing you don't have kids specifically a daughter.
    I can almost (That's a big almost.) go with the whatever it it makes you happy go for it, but what about his family he's leaving. What about their happiness?
    You just get bored with your wife of 20 years or whatever and just start chasing tail, leaving your wife to raise your kids?

Quote Originally Posted by archbishop View Post
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but wow. I'm guessing you don't have kids specifically a daughter.
    I can almost (That's a big almost.) go with the whatever it it makes you happy go for it, but what about his family he's leaving. What about their happiness?
    You just get bored with your wife of 20 years or whatever and just start chasing tail, leaving your wife to raise your kids?
    fish on!! set the hook.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Looks like his intent is to turn her into a Hooker... At least it appears she had a little hooker in her. His wife, soon to be ex-wife, was also a hooker.

Good luck out there in the job market buddy

Book deals pay way better than real jobs... as do TV movies, reality shows, etc... We are all somewhat outraged when we hear/see this type of behavior. Then we all need to see what the real story behind it was, hence... it sells. Maybe we can get him his own train wreck show - aren't the Kardashians about used up?

They are both of legal age.... so this is none of my business... or yours.....

Bogley BigShot
    That man is sick and the child has mental issues as well. This is not healthy or right.

When she grows up - she will understand that men like this are gross and be sad and wonder why she ever did this. She wants and needs love and thinks that is what he will give her. Instead she will find that a man like this - that is attracted to a child that is as young as the law allows has so many mental issues. He is most likely insecure and using her to try and fix what he feels he needs.

Been there. Done that. It's not good!

12. Likes canyonphile, accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    They are both of legal age.... so this is none of my business... or yours.....
    Both of our business if we can sign him to that book deal first...

WOW! Not my thing, but as long as they are consenting adults and sex did not occur when she was a minor they can make their own choices. Is he making the best choice or going about this the right way by dumping his family and wife, I don’t think so. Marriage is difficult enough when the situation is ideal, and this is far from ideal. What about having children, she will probably want some time of relationship with her family eventually. Lots of difficulties ahead, but look at the bright side she will be benefiting from the senior citizen discount when she is 25, pretty good financial planning if you ask me.

I've been told I have the maturity of an 18 year old, and am almost 40. So this story makes sense to me.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.