Thread: K-Tell Facilitates First Board Run using Lift at Alta 80-81

K-Tell Facilitates First Board Run using Lift at Alta 80-81

The new snow brought back a great memory of what I THINK is the first (allowed, non-wildcat) snowboard run on Alta. I had purchased a Winterstick roundtail the winter of 80-81. Just a few of us Milovich fans back then and few had seen or heard of Wintersicks. (BTW, he continues to ingore my FB request). My friends and I knew the rule at the resorts was that one could only ride the lift with skis. It didn't say anything about what one could carry. But how to ride up with skis and get them down? My answer was K-tell and the fun ski. I strolled up to the lift with K-Tell Fun Skis on and carrying my board, with a pack on my back. This brought about pushing me to the side and many official looking employees showing up with radios. They kept telling me no and I kept telling them that I was not violating any rules. At 15 years old they didn't much care about me; but my skills at arguing kept it alive for an hour or so of debate. Finally, they let me through. I was demanding a refund and transport home and I think they gave in just to get rid of me. At the time, the workers there had never seen or heard of a stick and no one on the radio knew what it was either. They kept trying to explain "its some thing to surf on snow". However, baords were quickly banned shortly after on all resorts in the area. Later they realized the $$$ they were missing out on and started to allow them. If anyone has a similar story i would love to hear it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    The new snow brought back a great memory of what I THINK is the first (allowed, non-wildcat) snowboard run on Alta. I had purchased a Winterstick roundtail the winter of 80-81.
    Sounds like at least Milo beat you to it...

http://sportsguidemag.com/features/5...arding-in-utah

And yet still treats me like some stalker he has never met when I try to FB contact him. What is up with that?

Yes, I would guess that there are some others that had a hook-up of some sort and got some rides in......friend running the lift, etc at various times.

Cool story. Hey I had some fun skis.

First time I heard about a snowboard, my neighbor, older than me, the "cool guy", was explaining how this guy was "skateboarding" down the slopes but without the skateboard trucks or wheels, and his feet were tied to the board. And it looked effin' bitchin'