Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wahweap Hoodoos Access ???

Wahweap Hoodoos Access ???

Hello all,
    I'm new to the site and just wanted to say hello real quick! I also have a question regarding access to the Wahweap Hoodoos. I am interested in visiting in a couple of weeks and I would like to use the access that comes from the north, off of BLM 431. I don't want to drive into the wash or into the creek or anything like that. I am just wondering if it is possible to still get to the 4WD Parking Lot noted in Laurent Martres book or if the BLM completely closed the road going in there? Any help would be great!

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am no expert on the area, but I have researched this exact question since I will be in Page, AZ next week. The consensus is that BLM 431 is absolutely closed approximately 4-5 miles before the Hoodoos. I personally plan to hike into them from the South from near Big Water. Maybe someone will chime in the confirm what I have read elsewhere.

4. Likes Glenn liked this post

Thanks...

Hey, thanks for the update. That's what I was worried about, and I'll go with that unless someone local can say otherwise.
    Ryan

White Sands Jeep Road

So on the same subject of the road closure, can you still access the north end of white sands jeep road? Or is that after the road closure?

My understanding, again based on what I have read, is that the closure of 431 is prior to the White Sand Road.

Thanks Again

Right on, I'll go into it keeping that in mind. Again, if anyone from the area has any updates to this it would be much appreciated. I really appreciate your info Steve. I hope you have a great trip!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Just off the phone with the Bigwater BLM office.

They say the entire road has been an "administrative" road, ever since the inception of GSENM.

Administrative means you must have a "permit" to be on this road. The only ones with a "permit" are law enforcement and ranchers with cattle in the area.

They said in the past that enforcement has been week but it now is more closely monitored.

Ever how we let this kind of crap happen is beyond me, what does an occasional tourist/photographer damage that cattle don't?

And on that note, there ain't a lot out there to destroy(road from Cottonwood to Wahweap Cr.)

10. Likes Glenn liked this post
    That's really too bad. I believe that laws and regulations are there for a reason and I am a law abiding citizen to say the least. On the same token, I do think that this is kind of ridiculous, the fact that there is cattle grazing the land clearly illustrates that this is not a "roadless, wilderness area." That's really too bad that they closed the road to the public. I suppose I'll have to hike in from the south entrance to Wahweap Creek.

I have 2 messages in to Mike Noel, see if he calls back.

Bogley BigShot
    That road has always been a no no.

The regular hike in is easy and spectacular as long as you don't go in the dead of summer.

according to the BLM and I have no proof, it was only closed when GSENM was formed.

I would really like to know-Why.

Whats out there to hide or protect?

I've driven the road, it ain't purty.........

Makes a nice access point to the hoodoo's for someone who is not physically capable of the Bigwater slog.

Bogley BigShot
    Well yes, that is what I mean since the GSENM.

Maybe our legislature will help. Looks like more states vs. feds.

I really like the idea of repealing GSENM...

From KSL.com

Utah lawmakers sound a lot like that rebellious rock group The Who: We're not gonna take it.

The Republican controlled House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved a passel of bills late Wednesday demanding the federal government transfer its lands to the state and setting a deadline to do it. Democrats called the effort a waste of time, money and energy. Legislative attorneys have warned lawmakers that trying to wrest public lands from the federal government would be found unconstitutional.

One resolution calls for the governor, the Senate president and the House speaker to send a letter to federal government demanding it sell off its public lands in Utah and deposit 5 percent of the proceeds into the state public education fund.Another bill sets a Dec. 31, 2014 deadline for the federal government to transfer the land to the state.

The bills would eliminate Grand Staircase National Monument and wilderness study areas. They also give the state authority to permit oil and gas drilling, mining, grazing and logging.

So on a side note to this conversation... If I was planning on accessing the Wahweap Hoodoos from the Bigwater TH does anyone know of a good camping spot near there?

...everyone has a different taste.
    Heading south on US 89 to JCT Lone Rock road.
    Ca. 0.3 mi before you reach the JCT, turn right (west).
    Folllow the dirt road, till you see an old corral.

Find your spot.

This area is called Wild Cat Tank.
    There are nice hoodoos too.
    If you like to scramble up, you're below Stud Horse Point.

Have fun to the wahweaps.
    It's a wonderful hike from the south.

Sounds great! Can you scramble all the way up to Stud Horse Point?

Sorry, but I'm not really sure.
    Maybe on the left hand side of the Slot - or farther west, after you met the big hoodoo.
    Maybe the local 'mountain goats' knows a little bit more about that.

Just off the phone with State representative Mike Noel.

We had a 20 minute conversation, he gave me some homework to do on this particular road, I'll try to get the information the first of the week.

The state is working hard on these issues right now and has filed a lawsuit against the Federal Gov.

Mike stated in every instance that an "administrative road" is illegal. Once again I will check into this further on Monday.

It's nice to know that citizens can have this kind of discussion with our elected officials.

22. Likes zzyzx liked this post
    ...good work.

Given his track record, I'm not sure that I'd take Noel's word as gospel on these matters. Not saying he's wrong, but I'd hate to see you in trouble with law enforcement due to Noel's anti-federalist agenda.

Good luck, but proceed with caution.