Thread: Pine Creek/Keyhole Conditions in April

Pine Creek/Keyhole Conditions in April

Hello all from sunny Las Vegas,
    I'm planning a weeklong trip at the end of April and was wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to what the typical conditions of Pine Creek and Keyhole would look like around late April/early May. My thoughts are that the water will be a bit cold, but shouldn't run into any snow or ice. Considering we've had a pretty mild winter, it should be a nice time to go...

Also, how are these two canyons on the weekends? Do they get overcrowded? Should I try to do them on a weekday?

Thanks in advance for your insight,
    Tyler

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tley430 View Post
    Hello all from sunny Las Vegas,
    I'm planning a weeklong trip at the end of April and was wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to what the typical conditions of Pine Creek and Keyhole would look like around late April/early May. My thoughts are that the water will be a bit cold, but shouldn't run into any snow or ice. Considering we've had a pretty mild winter, it should be a nice time to go...

Also, how are these two canyons on the weekends? Do they get overcrowded? Should I try to do them on a weekday?

Thanks in advance for your insight,
    Tyler
    Greetings Tyler, and welcome to the Bogley...

I would expect both Pine Creek and Keyhole to be full of water for most of this spring, and thus quite cold. Ice and snow are unlikely that late, but still possible, I guess.

On summer weekends, they can be crowded, but early May is not summer. I would expect you would most likely have the canyons to yourselves, as only the hearty will be looking for that kind of adventure that early.

WHEN these canyons ARE 'crowded', you can usually avoid the crowds by going early or late. Almost everyone swarms in during the middle of the day, say 10 am to 4 pm. First thing in the morning, and after 5 pm, you can have either canyon (or both) most likely to yourself, even on say July 4th.

Tom

Hey Tom,
    What would you recommend by way of wetsuits? Would 4/3 be about right for April?

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    WHEN these canyons ARE 'crowded', you can usually avoid the crowds by going early or late. Almost everyone swarms in during the middle of the day, say 10 am to 4 pm. First thing in the morning, and after 5 pm, you can have either canyon (or both) most likely to yourself, even on say July 4th.

Tom
    X2
    To avoid crowds when doing these two canyons (which is a short day I love) I generally start keyhole at first light, and then move to pine creek. Only once have I ended up behind someone (done this sequence a half dozen times in the last 8 months).

Plus, if Keyhole is anything like it was for us last year in April, water will be running through it, which makes it tons more fun! As far as wetsuits go, I felt fine in my full 7mm, so if that's comparable to a 4/3 (I'm not sure how two-piece wetsuits work) then you should be fine.
    --Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Plus, if Keyhole is anything like it was for us last year in April, water will be running through it, which makes it tons more fun! As far as wetsuits go, I felt fine in my full 7mm, so if that's comparable to a 4/3 (I'm not sure how two-piece wetsuits work) then you should be fine.
    In the confusing nomenclature of wetsuitage, "4/3" means that the main body of the suit is 4mm, and other parts are 3mm for enhanced flexibility. Since the Hyperflex are primarily surfer suits, the arms are 3mm plus a few panels here and there.

I would want more than a 4/3, like, more neoprene over (maybe a shortee), or Capilene(TM) Polyester(TM) underwear underneath. You could get by in a 4/3, it just would be plenty cold.

Tom