Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What moto should one buy to start

What moto should one buy to start

I am not new to motorcycles, I ride street plenty and would be coming from a mtn biking background. I know there are a ton of choices. Not going to be doing SX, will be riding typical west terrain. Let's hear what opinions there are? Since photo is fast should one lean towards team green. J/k.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are you thinking Enduro (street legal) or full on dirt?
    Enduros are usually heavier but have the added advantage of running into towns for gas while on longer type rides. Plus lights if caught out after dark, and better top end speed.
    Full on dirt are typically lighter, faster out of the hole and have a closer gear box but not as fast on the top end.

I would suggest what ever brand you decide on to keep it as light as possible for the first dirt bike and maybe in the 250cc range but not bigger than a 450cc at least till you feel real comfortable in the dirt.
    And remember there is always going to be loose sand, rocks, river crossings and climbs with loose or rocky or muddy conditions. Lighter is better for better control.
    I have not owned a 250cc since 78 and I think that they have plenty of power now days from I've been told.
    nelsonccc has a 250cc YZ two stroke that seems to have plenty of power to go just about where ever you would care to go. He swears by it for trail riding.
    On the other hand I have a YZ450cc and I'm a total rookie but feel that it will work while I get better and more experience.
    But I did get an XR650 thinking was a do all bike before I got the 450.
    It is a great open desert bike but at 350 lbs it is way to much for the tight stuff. Throw in some sand in the tight stuff and it is pure hell.

As for directions on brands I'll let those with better insight help you there.
    Hope any of this helps you in your quest.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Things to consider, do you want to be able to ride from trail to trail? Do you want to have to kick start it or use the magic button. How much do you want to spend? I ride a WR 450 with a recluse z start pro clutch in it. The bike is a little heavy but I like electric start and being road legal, the clutch is a no brainer for dummies. The bike will not stall. If you want light go 2 stroke. I also have a WR 250. It feels lighter but just doesn't have the same low end grunt a 450 has or the top end for that matter. If you are leaning street legal I would go 450, the motor is comfortable at 65. You cannot go wrong with KTM but they are a little more pricey. Both originally and for parts
    Something else to consider is dealer location in regards to where you live. The big 3 have a lot more dealers around if you need to pick up a part. This is especially true if you are out of town. Shop KSL and you can find deals galore.

Mark

I like quick,light, and snappy dirt bikes. Therefore I favor the smaller 2 strokes. A 2 stroke 250 will be cheaper and is extremely easy to work on. I like them as trail bikes since they are easy to pick up an maintain. However, they are not as easy to ride as the 4 stroke 450's.

Anything you get short of a big enduro will be a ton of fun. Most of these guys on here ride newer 4 stroke 450's and ride them well but I'm still partial to the 2 stroker.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

live2ride? Do have friends that can let you test ride dirt bikes? If so that will help you out a ton I'm sure.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

Hmm 2 smokies harder to ride? Maybe? Less you keep em wound tighter than a third world hooker.
    The clutch slippage I can see however in the tight stuff.
    4 strokes are like tractors there I suppose.

It's been a long dam time since I've road a t smokie but I do remember that you have to know what gear your in at all times and with a 4-t you do get away with much more.

And I for one do not miss the mixing of gas and oil at all. BUt

What moto should I start with?

EIW this is the question we always ask ourselves.
    If it's to heavy it's not much fun.
    If it's to light it's not much fun.

So just where is the happy medium?

Something peppy but trail ready but with good go get her done attitude.

Now I've said this before but?
    If I was in these shoes I do believe that I would try to find the electric start Enduros with about a 400cc 4-t (thumper 4 stroke) in a area of say.
    1- Drz-400
    2-XR 400,500,600, air cooled but they have no electric strt but a true and tried reliable machine. (older bike)
    3- is like 1 but a Kawi klx 400 (same exact bike as the suzuki DRZ)
    4-If money is not an object then get the 390 Husaberg that acca just got period. Small but big on power , street legal, but most important is it is fuel injected. This simply means that no matter your altitude you are rocking.
    No screwing with jetting or any other thing.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Things to consider, do you want to be able to ride from trail to trail? Do you want to have to kick start it or use the magic button. How much do you want to spend? I ride a WR 450 with a recluse z start pro clutch in it. The bike is a little heavy but I like electric start and being road legal, the clutch is a no brainer for dummies. The bike will not stall. If you want light go 2 stroke. I also have a WR 250. It feels lighter but just doesn't have the same low end grunt a 450 has or the top end for that matter. If you are leaning street legal I would go 450, the motor is comfortable at 65. You cannot go wrong with KTM but they are a little more pricey. Both originally and for parts
    Something else to consider is dealer location in regards to where you live. The big 3 have a lot more dealers around if you need to pick up a part. This is especially true if you are out of town. Shop KSL and you can find deals galore.
    Mark
    I would have to agree with Mark. What kind of riding, do you need street legal, new or used, power needs, and how much are you spending. Narrow this stuff down and then the pickings get easier.
    After that, it becomes what brand, Model and year made. Keep posting your decisions, and you will get more info from all of us. We really enjoy helping new riders get off on the right foot. OH Yeah, and if you're buying new and want a desert bike, I have an easy pick. Husaberg FE 390. Best bike on the planet! Next to the FE570 of course.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    OH Yeah, and if you're buying new and want a desert bike, I have an easy pick. Husaberg FE 390. Best bike on the planet!

I don't mind a kick start, probably a bike where I can just stay on dirt? Can't you add street legal lights to some dirt bikes? I also don't want a bike that I have to upgrade in 6 months. Money wise, I am willing to drop 5k on a mtn bike, probably could get a nice dirt bike for that.

The money part all depends on what is the best bang for the buck? Maybe start used then dial in to my needs

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    I don't mind a kick start, probably a bike where I can just stay on dirt? Can't you add street legal lights to some dirt bikes? I also don't want a bike that I have to upgrade in 6 months. Money wise, I am willing to drop 5k on a mtn bike, probably could get a nice dirt bike for that.
    Yes most of Us have added some barely legal kit to get road legal. But you need a battery to power it all, which means enduro, electric start etc. You can buy a ton of used bike for 5k. I paid 2,800 for my WR 450 and have been thrashing it ever since. KSL.com baby.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Who is the dealer around here for Husaberg?

Quoted wrong post my bad

2800 bucks sounds great, I am all game I just need to get pointed in the right direction and not get taken to the cleaners on ksl

When you narrow it down a bit go to NADA Blue Book and look at the values. Most people are pricing them above blue book. Use the book against them.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Who is the dealer around here for Husaberg?

Quoted wrong post my bad
    Boise or Vegas. I did some homework. The parts are relatively easy to obtain, you just can't run to the store to pickup up Husa specific pieces. That being said, KTM makes the Husaberg and alot of the parts are interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    2800 bucks sounds great, I am all game I just need to get pointed in the right direction and not get taken to the cleaners on ksl
    If you ride the bike and it is tight, accelerates good, suspension feels smooth (no hang up spots) and starts easy, that's good. Remember, ALL used bikes have low hours. That's because people are full of shit.
    I had a guy try to sell me an RMZ450 and claimed it had 3 hours on it. Looked at the chain, and there was flat spots. Sorry fella, I don't think so. Check the chain for flat spots, and the side case covers near the shifter and brake.
    They will usually have some wear, but less is better. Of course they can replace a chain, but most aren't smart (or ambitious enough) to change it for sale. If the bike is dirty and no attempt to clean it for sale, I would walk away.
    It's one thing to not do it while you own it, it's entirely another thing when you sell it.

To add to what Mark just said. Most of the enduros speedometers are resettable. So when they say 300 miles is not an actual odometer.

Some of the above possibilities for buying used is the reason that Redspecialized and I looked specifically at bikes in the $3000.00 and under range. All of them require expensive valve changes or adjustments even if the bike is a 2010 model. This was an attempt to keep the investment as low as possible. I have no intentions of riding a knobby tire on roads atleast legally. There seems to be more dirtbikes for sale in comparision of endure type with electric start and lights on ksl.