Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What moto should one buy to start

I might have a really nice KTM for sale soon. Maybe...if I can part with it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I might have a really nice KTM for sale soon. Maybe...if I can part with it.

This is a very nice bike.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    To add to what Mark just said. Most of the enduros speedometers are resettable. So when they say 300 miles is not an actual odometer.
    This is true of my WR450. No actual odometer, just trip A&B. "I swear it only has 500 miles on it". Yeah right! Even an aftermarket hr meter doesn't mean anything unless you know who you're buying from. Ktm and Husa have both odo and hr meter. No lying with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    This is a very nice bike.

And this one in Blue! Not quite as nice.

My .02 for what its worth. Lots of great advise on here already. I just went through almost the exact same thing you are going through now. I currently ride an 07 kawasaki 1600cc mean streak. I've ridden bikes my whole life. Had a yz250 and a ktm495 in my earlier yrs. I've been out of dirt bike for about 10-15 yrs. So I'm not totally new to bikes, but I definately would consider my self a rookie in the off road arena.
    When I was looking for a bike, i didn't want to spend over 3k. I looked for about 3 months striaght on line. Read about every review I could find. Went on ksl almost every night to look at bikes. Got some great advise from people on bogley and even fourtycal let me take his 2strokers for a spin at 5 mile. At first I was dead st on a cr500. A buddy of mine had one growing up and it was the most powerful coolest thing back then. However, after riding several 2 stroke bikes I decided I had better try a 4thumper before getting a bike. I was scared away from them after hearing some horror stories about valve mataince with them with them and the cost of repairs, they weren't really even in the picture for me. After riding my first one I was hooked. The power delivery was just different. Don't get wrong I still really like 2stokes but thought the 4 stroke would be a better allaround bike for me. I contacted several shops and was told as long as I kept the airfilter clean and changed the oil, the valves were not as big a deal as they were made out to be.

So my point in all this, there are lots of good bikes out there. You'd be happy with several probably. I would just make sure you get the typeof bike for the type of riding you want to do. And then test ride as many as you can to findout which you like. Keep an open mind, what I ended up buying was a lot different than what I started looking for. Most of the bikes without light on then are more set up for mx style ridng, jumps, fast and not as much low end torque (usually cheaper). Bikes with headlight from the factory usually have smoother suspension, more torque, not quite as fast, but do better on with trail riding (usually cost more). That being said, any of todays bike you can ride almost anything, some are just better at certain things than others.

Also, when I was looking at bikes I tried to find one with the most after market parts. You'll find adding barkbusters, kickstands, gas tanks, levers and more really starts to add up.

So when it came down to it I couldn't decide on two bikes. A crf450r and a kx450f. So I bought them both. Keep the one I like and sell the other. It ended up working out perfect. A buddy of mine really like the red one and bought that. So now I'm the happy owner of the green monster.

Some good advise given to me. "Just buy a bike and ride"

Laslty, stay away from xr 650's, big, heavy and slow, only good for old men. Ok, just teasing, I had to say that to get mtnseeker going. I'm sure the xr is great bike.

My .02 for what its worth. Lots of great advise on here already. I just went through almost the exact same thing you are going through now. I currently ride an 07 kawasaki 1600cc mean streak. I've ridden bikes my whole life. Had a yz250 and a ktm495 in my earlier yrs. I've been out of dirt bike for about 10-15 yrs. So I'm not totally new to bikes, but I definately would consider my self a rookie in the off road arena.
    When I was looking for a bike, i didn't want to spend over 3k. I looked for about 3 months striaght on line. Read about every review I could find. Went on ksl almost every night to look at bikes. Got some great advise from people on bogley and even fourtycal let me take his 2strokers for a spin at 5 mile. At first I was dead st on a cr500. A buddy of mine had one growing up and it was the most powerful coolest thing back then. However, after riding several 2 stroke bikes I decided I had better try a 4thumper before getting a bike. I was scared away from them after hearing some horror stories about valve mataince with them with them and the cost of repairs, they weren't really even in the picture for me. After riding my first one I was hooked. The power delivery was just different. Don't get wrong I still really like 2stokes but thought the 4 stroke would be a better allaround bike for me. I contacted several shops and was told as long as I kept the airfilter clean and changed the oil, the valves were not as big a deal as they were made out to be.

So my point in all this, there are lots of good bikes out there. You'd be happy with several probably. I would just make sure you get the typeof bike for the type of riding you want to do. And then test ride as many as you can to findout which you like. Keep an open mind, what I ended up buying was a lot different than what I started looking for. Most of the bikes without light on then are more set up for mx style ridng, jumps, fast and not as much low end torque (usually cheaper). Bikes with headlight from the factory usually have smoother suspension, more torque, not quite as fast, but do better on with trail riding (usually cost more). That being said, any of todays bike you can ride almost anything, some are just better at certain things than others.

Also, when I was looking at bikes I tried to find one with the most after market parts. You'll find adding barkbusters, kickstands, gas tanks, levers and more really starts to add up.

So when it came down to it I couldn't decide on two bikes. A crf450r and a kx450f. So I bought them both. Keep the one I like and sell the other. It ended up working out perfect. A buddy of mine really like the red one and bought that. So now I'm the happy owner of the green monster.

Some good advise given to me. "Just buy a bike and ride"

Laslty, stay away from xr 650's, big, heavy and slow, only good for old men. Ok, just teasing, I had to say that to get mtnseeker going. I'm sure the xr is great bike.

SLOW?
    Dam I love this site.
    RedSpecialized hit it spot on and no the BRP is not for sale.
    Just follow that kind of advise and it will shorten your search.
    Some day I may even let him have a taste of the King of Baja.

I'm pretty sure he can hold on long enough.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

But, I do believe that if you Live2ride have not done the dirt thing yet.
    Follow all this advise and like said before do your own home work and keep asking questions.
    I have the gut felling you'll more than likely find just what your after.

On a side note: Do not go to big. This is nothing like street and will take some time to get a solid feel for dirt.
    The little 250-300cc will just amaze you at how darn fast they are.
    Mostly when your a little side ways.

Have you decided to do a street legal (enduro) or full dirt.

If your in my area sometime I'll be more than happy to let you test ride two big bikes. 450 is big right? It is to me anyway.
    And don't worry none if you drop them. Just enjoy and get a better feel for just what you may be after.
    Dropping them from time to time is just dirt riding. Ask anyone.
    Even if they will not admit it unless seen. Right nelson?

But most important like you say Live2Ride is keep the rubber side down and have fun with it.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.