Thread: Zion NP Region

Zion NP Region

Hi, new member here. I'm going to be in the Zion NP vicinity late next week. I'll basically have two full days and an afternoon. I've been to Zion and the surrounding area about 5-6 times over the years, so I don't need newbie advice at all. For background, I'm the kind of guy that will only visit a national park when it's not crowded, and I mostly enjoy wilderness areas and general, open BLM land experiences away from the crowds.

My questions:
    1) I'd like to visit the Cave Valley site in Kolob Terrace. How much snow can I expect up there, and is the road currently open to Cave Valley? I live at the same altitude in northern Utah, and we've had a stunningly low snow year, so I'm assuming we can get around here without much hassle or with some snowshoes at a minimum. The NPS website says that road closure is at "Maloney Hill," but I can't find that on any map I own? WTF?

2) How snowy is east Zion right now? We're planning a long day exploring east Zion (it's been years since we played around in E Zion, love it). I was down there about 4 weeks ago, and snow levels seemed manageable in most areas, but I was wondering if things changed drastically for some reason.

3) Considering the South Fork Indian Cyn site, also, but we only drive a stock Subaru Outback, so I'm not going to screw around with that sandy road. I know the pictographs are amazing, but is the long, sandy hike in there worth it? I mean, is it just an ugly slog along a 4WD road where we would get dusted off 100x times, or is the road area actually pretty and a nice hike?

4) Any other suggestions from kind folks out there? I'd be willing to drive a couple hours in any direction. Like I said, we like stuff way off the beaten path, and we're both very fit and experienced hikers/climbers/bc skiers. To avoid repeat advice, we've been: all over Zion, Wahweap, Rimrock, N. Coyote Buttes and Wave, Peek-a-Boo (Red Cyn), Coral Pink SD, Kolob Cyns.

Thanks in advance. As soon as I get to an appropriate post count, I'll start sharing some photos and fun here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

1.) Road is open... the closure is the steep hill before the Wildcat Canyon Trailhead, so well after what you're looking at.

2. Name:  P1070300..JPG
Views: 227
Size:  560.6 KB

East Zion, yesterday. South-facing is almost totally clear, north facing not so much. Some chance of snow Monday/Tuesday though so could change, but it's warming up enough to keep things pretty light.

I hiked to the South Fork Indian Canyon picto site back in November 2004. I only drove down the sandy trail a short ways. I was leery of driving thru a large water hole with a 2wd rental, but the rest of the track out to where the picto trail begins was obstacle free and hard packed sand. Very easy hiking. The time passed quickly. Certainly wasn't a boring slog. If conditions are similar now to what they were then, you likely could drive all the way to the single track trailhead in your Outback. Someone who's been there recently might provide a more current description of the sandy road conditions.

If you never have been out to Whitney Pockets near Mesquite, you might consider that as an alternate destination spot in the event that the weather in the zion area is not to your liking.

Thanks, erial.

Great info on the road, much appreciated. I've been all over Gold Butte in NV, it's just an amazing place. I was actually considering going that far south if weather was looking iffy.

Have you ever explored the Arrow Canyon Wilderness Area further west of Mesquite on I15? Some amazing petroglyphs in the area, and a great slot canyon.

My wife went to Wake Forest, btw.

You might already have info on this, but just in case you might consider exploring the southern base of Lambs Knoll in addition to the more prominent site on the east side of Kolob Terrrrace rd in Cave Valley.

Your wife attended Wake Forest U? Presumably not when the school was actually in the town of Wake Forest. WFU relocated to Winston-Salem 50 some years ago. Wake Forest, the town, is no longer overrun by Demon Deacons just crazy yankees like myself.

Thanks, erial. I did hear about some interesting things in that area, but thanks for the reinforcement. Anything else in the area I should keep an eye out for?

Sorry about the Wake Forest confusion. My wife's family isn't really in NC anymore, so I had no clue there was a town by the same name as the school. Also a Yankee -- grew up in PA (but left at 17).
    "Powder snow skiing is not fun. It is life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality. What we experience in powder is the original human self, which lies deeply inside each of us, still undamaged in spite of what our present culture tries to do to us. Once experienced, this kind of living is recognized as the only way to live

Bogley BigShot
    2) How snowy is east Zion right now? We're planning a long day exploring east Zion (it's been years since we played around in E Zion, love it). I was down there about 4 weeks ago, and snow levels seemed manageable in most areas, but I was wondering if things changed drastically for some reason.

It's been a dry year as snowfall goes, but the area can still make up for that in March - so no idea as to how much snow will accumulate in the next week. As of right now, there has been 2 decent snow storm, and there is still quite a bit on the rocks.

3) Considering the South Fork Indian Cyn site, also, but we only drive a stock Subaru Outback, so I'm not going to screw around with that sandy road. I know the pictographs are amazing, but is the long, sandy hike in there worth it? I mean, is it just an ugly slog along a 4WD road where we would get dusted off 100x times, or is the road area actually pretty and a nice hike?

It's Sand Dunes - so it's not Zion. When Bo and I did it we did not drive too far in. If I remember right, it was on a packed dirt road and there was not a ton of elevation change, so it was not all that bad.

4) Any other suggestions from kind folks out there? I'd be willing to drive a couple hours in any direction. Like I said, we like stuff way off the beaten path, and we're both very fit and experienced hikers/climbers/bc skiers. To avoid repeat advice, we've been: all over Zion, Wahweap, Rimrock, N. Coyote Buttes and Wave, Peek-a-Boo (Red Cyn), Coral Pink SD, Kolob Cyns.

Well dang! I don't know what to suggest, except go over this list and see if there is something you have not done....

My favorite this time of year - South Canyon Grand Canyon
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...and-canyon.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/hik...ional-park.htm

I also went to Wake Forest (the school... not the town). I have nothing else to add. Carry on.

There's snow in the forecast so Indian Canyon could be a problem. I was out there two weeks ago and the sand was firm, a little packed snow. I was in 4WD but may not have needed it. The trail got icy in the shade but not really dangerous. I will be adding micro spikes to our kit, though!

Cave Valley should be OK unless we really get pounded with snow. I was up that way yesterday and the hike would have been really pleasant.

How about the Red Cliffs area, especially if it snows. The hike out Cottonwood Wash from a trail head in Hurricane is great. So is the hike down to the arch in the Babylon area. From there you can access the Virgin River and route find your way back.

Babylon Arch:

Cottonwood Wash:

Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

I was at Cave Valley about 2 weeks ago. No snow on the road at all. There was snow and ice on the trail, especially near the cave, but not a major problem (I also busted two people camped in the cave. I think I interrupted some naked nap time.... Although it looks like it will be snowing up there tonight. Typically the road isnt a problem and I think they may even keep it plowed all the way to maloney but I could be wrong.

I second Whitney Pockets off Gold Butte. There are some awesome petroglyphs, landforms out that way. Valley of Fire State Park is also pretty fun, and as Win mentioned the Red Cliffs National Conservation Area also has some cool opportunities.