Thread: Kid Carriers

Kid Carriers

I'm looking to start getting my 6 month old out on some hikes with me this spring and need to get a good kid carrier backpack. So far I am leaning towards the Kelty lineup, but does anyone have any suggestions? I plan on getting quite a few miles with it over the next couple of years so I am willing to pay for comfort and quality if need be. Thanks for any ideas.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I'm looking to start getting my 6 month old out on some hikes with me this spring and need to get a good kid carrier backpack. So far I am leaning towards the Kelty lineup, but does anyone have any suggestions? I plan on getting quite a few miles with it over the next couple of years so I am willing to pay for comfort and quality if need be. Thanks for any ideas.
    I sold the Kelty Kid Carriers for many years. They are good, but now I sell the Deuter Kid Komfort I, II, and III's. I honestly believe they are more comfortable for both the child and parent. You might look into them as well. Osprey has come out with a new Child Carrier as well. I'll have them in stock in a couple weeks. They look real nice, but have no track record to compare them yet?

http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpacks.php?category=125

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/segmentation/osprey_kids

The ones put out by Sherpani are really comfortable.

A few tips- borrow several different makes/models and try them out. It helps to have something that is out of the store and friends that can tell you the pros/cons of it.

Get something that has storage capacity, preferably under the kid's seat. Not being able to carry water, goodies, diapers, etc is a real drag. If the storage is under the seat it lowers the center of gravity and gives you more stability than higher storage does.

One that's comfortable for you and the kid = happy times. Don't buy cheap to save money if you're getting an uncomfortable product.

As @IntrepidXJ has said "I learned a long time ago that if I don't buy what I really want the first time, I won't be happy and will end up buying what I originally wanted ayways, costing me more money in the long run."

We had a Kelty for about 10 years and used it to pack 3 boys around not only hiking, but sporting events, boat-gun-hunting shows, mowing the lawn, etc. and still got 40 bucks for it on KSL. Sad to see it go.

I really like the more compact look of the Kid Comfort II, but the Osprey's intrigue me as well beacause I have always been more than happy with rheir packs. I guess I am just going to have to go try a bunch. Thanks

My kids have loved the Kelty I picked up from @Alex

We've been using the Deuter Kid Comfort II for the past 4 months. Our son was 6 months old before he could hold himself up in it. It is very comfortable for me and for our son, just as comfortable as my Osprey backcountry pack. The only downside: the harness for the child is somewhat awkward to clip in place. Our son is usually ready to fight me by the time he is all buckled in.

I highly recommend checking it out.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    They are good, but now I sell the Deuter Kid Komfort I, II, and III's.
    this ^^^ I went into 3 shops and tried out every single pack with my son buckled in & then hiked around the store doing some shopping to get a feal. ended up choosing a Deuter model. YMMV.

We shopped around in 2006 when our first was about 6 months, and ended up getting a Deuter Kid Comfort (II, I think). Our kids have now outgrown it, but we hiked many miles with it on over the years, and we're very happy with it. We did outings up to about 6 miles without a problem.

fyi, I picked up a Kelty KID 3.0 for $99 at REI today. Deal of the Day. Figured it was a great price.

http://www.rei.com/product/829975/ke...-2011-closeout

We went with a slightly non-standard option - the Ergo, which is a soft carrier. We started using it when our daughter was around 5 months old and used it even last year when she was closer to four for a two week hiking trip. We had tried a frame carrier, but liked the Ergo better. If we had had another kid, I would've looked closely at the Sherpani carriers - have heard good things about those.

Pros of the Ergo:

Very comfortable and because the kid is up against your back, center of gravity hasn't changed much and balance isn't affected.
    Soft carrier is very packable and easy to take anywhere (from the grocery store to hiking). This has been useful as she's gotten older and hiked some on her own - can just put the carrier in the backpack.
    Can be used as a front or back carrier (good for when they are little - I usually carried her in the front if we were just out for a walk or doing errands)
    Easier for the kid to nap - they just lie their head down on your back and you clip the hood into place (keeps their head from rolling around).
    Up against the back is good when it's cooler weather.

Cons:

Up against the back can be hot with warmer weather (we usually carried multiple change of clothes for our daughter).
    Can't attach anything for rain or bugs like you can on frame carrier (this was non issue for us - most of our hiking is in the Northeast where it's mostly shaded and we didn't hike with our daughter in inclement weather or if bugs were horrible)
    No additional space for carrying things like on a frame carrier (this was also a non issue for us - we always hiked with each other or other people, one person carries the kid, the other a backpack).
    Kid sits lower in the back so there is no "over the shoulder/head" visibility (our daughter never seemed to mind).

Picture of Ergo with a baby:

Name:  norah5-1..jpg
Views: 194
Size:  28.6 KB

Three year old (hard to see Ergo clearly here, but it's what I had handy in photobucket):

Name:  408_steve_norah_r&.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  69.6 KB