Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commercial Canyoneering Video's

Quote Originally Posted by carspidey View Post
    i am a downhill mountain biker and they just shut down two of my favorite trails built on public land by the people... it sucks...
    Which ones?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carspidey View Post
    i guess public land is not really public huh?

this sucks...

i am a downhill mountain biker and they just shut down two of my favorite trails built on public land by the people... it sucks...
    Public land really is public land. But that does not mean that YOU get to do whatever you want there.

Public Land is managed through an extremely complex process that attempts to provide a seat at the table for all interested players. Rarely does one player's interest predominate, so... If you looked into it, became engaged with the land manager either as an individual or polyg... as a group, your interests could be represented. Which means you might get some of what you want. Or not.

But the land is public, and managed in a public manner.

I'm sorry two of your favorite trails got shut down. If you want them open again, you have a lot of work in front of you.

Tom

Interesting topic. I have enjoyed reading it. I didn't realize how much was required for commercial videos/photos.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    In our case, we paid the salary for the park ranger for the days he was with us. I am not sure if that is done on EVERY permit or not. My guess is in GCNP the producers cover all those expenses. And yes, the permits are expensive, prohibitively so.
    Several years ago, The Travel Channel produced a series, "The National Parks" Haleakale, Denali, Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce. Bellevue Productions secured their permit from Zion and spent several days in Zion. I was asked by Zion to be a chaperone for 3 of those days. (Zion found a cheap way to monitor the filming) I was not paid to assist. I do know that Ron Kay took them for a day or two as well? (Maybe he was on the clock?) We were limited as to where this filming could take place. The first day was filmed in Refrigerator Canyon, and Angels Landing; second day was Lower Emerald Pool, and Weeping Rock; third day was The Narrows and Orderville Canyon. The crew consisted of generally 5 or 6 people from Bellevue Productions and myself and the park was animate that they stuck to the pre-plan as agreed upon. I also was a "Stunt Double Climber" for Gerald MCcreany? quite a few years ago for a series that was shot for "The Promised Land". The production team for this was a lot larger! I bet they had to jump through a lot more hoops for this one? When SUU shot the "Canyoneering" video a few years back I also know that they had to jump through the same hoops! I bet a lot of other commercial ventures have taken place in Zion without securing the appropriate permits though?

Are you folk really suggesting that Canon, Inc, a multinational with billions of dollars in sales each year, made an advertising commercial without getting all the necessary permits? I just have a hard time believing this. They spend hundreds of millions of dollars in adverting and that is just the US market. If you study the canon website for the second shot campaign: http://yoursecondshot.usa.canon.com/, it suggests that their film team travels with you to document your failed photograph. That would suggest a professional film crew and all that entails. I just can't envision such a crew sneaking into a National Park to film a commercial even if they travel light. I would guess that the issuance of the permit is in the public domain. Can anyone out there go look in the permit book and let us know?

Just saying

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Are you folk really suggesting that Canon, Inc, a multinational with billions of dollars in sales each year, made an advertising commercial without getting all the necessary permits?
    I don't think anyone suggested anything of the sorts.

Just noting that some of the video was shot inside the park, while the majority was shot outside the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I don't think anyone suggested anything of the sorts.

Just noting that some of the video was shot inside the park, while the majority was shot outside the park.

Oh...then, nevermind.