Thread: Quail panel via water canyon

Quail panel via water canyon

We are planning to enter Grand Gulch on Cedar Mesa thru Water Canyon to view the Quail Panel. Kelsey calls this the Red, White & Blue panel I believe. Kelsey's map also shows a drill hole and parking just east of Water Canyon. I believe there is a corral there also. Has any one hiked this route? Water Canyon appears to have 4 fingers. Is one a better way to go than the others? Comments?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You might find some useful information in this thread useful

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?38720

The thread is about Shaw Arch and using Water Canyon for access.

If you are just wanting to visit the Quail Panel, Entering at Step Canyon or Pine Canyon to Step Canyon would be a more direct route.

water canyon is a long way down canyon from the quail panel. water canyon is not the best entry to get to it. as stated above coming down step or pine canyon is the shortest route. another way is from hardscrabble mesa down a canyon which comes in on the south side between bullet and dripping canyon. you can go down it and see the quail panel then go up and out a steep side canyon of bullet on the south side just down stream from jailhouse spring.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    water canyon is a long way down canyon from the quail panel. water canyon is not the best entry to get to it. as stated above coming down step or pine canyon is the shortest route. another way is from hardscrabble mesa down a canyon which comes in on the south side between bullet and dripping canyon. you can go down it and see the quail panel then go up and out a steep side canyon of bullet on the south side just down stream from jailhouse spring.
    Thanks denaliguide, I was wrongly thinkig the quail panel and what Michael Kelsey calls Red, White,& Blue Panel were the same thing. We will take your advice on Quail and plan enter GG via Water Canyon From Slickhorn Rd at drill hole/corral. We also plan to hike Pollys Canyon, starting at government trail car park and going down canyon. Any experience or comments about Pollys?? About the pic you have on Bogley, I think I saw it in Blanding? newspaper. Is it You? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ravin1 View Post
    Thanks denaliguide, I was wrongly thinkig the quail panel and what Michael Kelsey calls Red, White,& Blue Panel were the same thing. We will take your advice on Quail and plan enter GG via Water Canyon From Slickhorn Rd at drill hole/corral. We also plan to hike Pollys Canyon, starting at government trail car park and going down canyon. Any experience or comments about Pollys?? About the pic you have on Bogley, I think I saw it in Blanding? newspaper. Is it You? Thanks again!
    i have dropped into pollys canyon both from the government trail and from hardscrabble mesa. both routes are very enjoyable with fun route finding. good camping at the confluence with GG and you will also be just across the creek is pollys mesa. quite a few ruins in pollys and some rockart if you look around a bit.
    nice easy day loop is from govt trail trailhead down into polly and then back up govt trail to your car. a longer hike is down polly then down GG and out deer canyon. again deer canyon has some fun obstacles to get past.

good luck with the route finding into water canyon. i remember a log that you had to use at one point to get down a bit..

blanding newspaper? nope not me.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ravin1 View Post
    We also plan to hike Pollys Canyon, starting at government trail car park and going down canyon. Any experience or comments about Pollys??
    Everything you ever wanted to know about Pollys is here:

Polly's Canyon Route Description

Down Government trail, a hike to see Big Man and out Pollys makes for a nice full day of hiking.

Big Man Pictograph Panel Route Description

Pollys Canyon
    Name:  pollys06..jpg
Views: 2413
Size:  58.5 KB

Big Man
    Name:  bigman08..jpg
Views: 2244
Size:  62.2 KB