Thread: Trip Report: High Spur 02-18-12

Trip Report: High Spur 02-18-12

Entered High Spur 9am Feb 18th with four others. Excellent trip in good weather all the way through the Corkscrew. In the end of the corkscrew in a deep section of slot there was a neck deep pool of mud and water. We had forgone wetsuits considering how dry it had been and it was impassable without wading. I went in to the waist in my b-day suit just to check, but it would have been a swim for our shortest member (aka my wife) No one else was willing to get naked and I guess I'm the local weirdo for suggesting it, so we exited the canyon just above the 20 ft downclimb and exit rap...Oh, well. Also, someone has left an old piece of yellow webbing at a down climb up canyon from there, we should have removed it in hindsight. The pothole obstacle seemed a bit deeper this time. Canyon was in great shape up til the water and a person with a wetsuit or willing to get wet could easily pass it. Roads in good shape. Got smacked by an unexpected snowstorm on Sunday and the trip turned in to a hiking trip to Horseshoe Canyon. I would not suggest a person go into this area in a snowstorm, but if you happen to be there, it is a beautiful thing to watch. This is what I have learned from canyoneering in the Roost and elsewhere: you can watch all the weather and plan all you want, but things can change very quickly. This trip could have turned very bad if the weather had gotten much worse. One day a trace of snow is predicted and then three inches falls. You cannot go into this place unprepared. It turned out fun in a different sort of way and everyone had their heads screwed on straight. High Spur should continue to be in good shape as long and more snow and rain does not fall.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Naked Canyoneering....remind me not to go with you ever.

Glad you made it out there. How was the road to the spur?
    Darin

We rode in from Green River, the road is in excellent shape. Pulled a 12ft trailer all the way in to Deadman trail. Would not advise in the snow. Still, the road is in great shape, cant wait to get back down there (wetsuit in tow this time).

Hehe, think a little nude swimming is bad? I soloed Lost Spring on a hot day in nothing but my harness and shoes..absolutely no one around...that was back when the Roost wasn't so popular..