Thread: Trail Running in Moab - Help with shoes

Trail Running in Moab - Help with shoes

I am running the Amasa 6.5mi coming up in April. I've biked and hiked in Moab but never ran. Does anyone have trail running experience in Moab that they could recommend a shoe? The two that I have my eye on are:
    http://www.backcountry.com/salomon-s...ning-shoe-mens
    and
    http://www.backcountry.com/salomon-x...ning-shoe-mens

Or could I get away with my current shoe? http://www.backcountry.com/new-balan...ning-shoe-mens

Any recommendations or thoughts, I would be greatful....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Personally, I'd just wear what you're used to. If you're worried about the technical stuff though, you might want a shoe with a bit more bite. As for which, well...

excellent. Thats what i wanted to hear!

I ran the Moab Red Hot 55k (http://grassrootsevents.net/home/) last year and it is run on all trials. There is a good mix of slick rock, sand, and jeep roads. I ran with my Saucony TR5. I would imagin and shoe will grip the slick rock just fine, it does pound you really well, no give. I would suggest something with a little bit for the sandy, rocky areas, and maybe even some gaiters if your going to be in the sandy lose stuff. I think the shoes you listed would work great. Running on the trails in Moab is a blast, just as much fun as biking on those trails. Just make sure you break the shoes in and have a great time blasting down the trails.

Most running shoes will get the job done and everything you listed ought to work. Running shoes are so personal that I will sacrifice features and aesthetics for a shoe that works for me. Works for me means I don't get injured using them and they don't have durability issues.

I generally run in the same make and model of shoe until they either discontinue them, significantly change them, or I am having repetitive motion injury issues and need to do something different. For me if the shoe is working I stick with it. My ego says buy the sleek sexy trail runners but I know if I want to be running for the long haul I have got to stick with what is working. I used to think those guys that always ran in the same shoe and bought/stocked up on the last of them when their shoe was getting discontinued were weird. Now I guess I'm just one of those weird guys.

It took me a long time to get a sense of what shoe is working for me and when one is causing me problems. I have made more than a few 100 dollar mistakes and relegated them to hiking status or day to day around town shoes.

Lastly make sure you replace your running shoes before they are worn out. Nothing worse than getting injured because you tried to squeeze out an extra 50 miles on your old shoes. Injuries due to worn out shoes tend to sneak up on you and it isn't until after the fact that you realize it was probably your worn out shoes that caused the issue.

Have fun running.
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

Gambel Oak makes some good points. I am on my fourth pair of Saucony TR5. They are not the most sexy shoe but they fit well and I haven't had any problems on trails or road. I have also liked that the price has gone down. My first pair were about $90, while my last pair was $40. They are getting a little harder to find, and I hate the idea of finding another shoe. But find something that works and stick with it.

On a different note I met a person running with the Vibriam 5 fingers on the Moab Red Hot 50K. I thought it might be the wrong shoe for all that unforgiving slickrock. Saw him again at mile 24, he had hurt his knee and was dropping. Not sure if it was the shoe, or not, but it did look painfulName:  5..JPG
Views: 240
Size:  102.9 KB.Name:  Love..JPG
Views: 212
Size:  96.6 KB