Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goblin's Lair - Closed - Now OPEN!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    isn't nate still the head ranger out there? if so, he's definitely no stranger to canyoneering. I've done multiple trips with him, but it's been a couple years now.

my guess is they are simply interested in protecting the resource, and want to make sure canyoneering won't negatively impact it. rope grooves, bolts, etc...
    I emailed back and forth with him a bit. He didn't say much, other than he would pass my comments up the line. I got the impression there are several levels of supervisors above him, especially on this issue.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I don't understand what you are saying?
    Have you ever typed and accidently hit some key that deleted a couple of words....

What I meant to say was I read the law you cited and I can't see a reason or legal authority for them to shut down the place based on what has been said here and the law you cited.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Have you ever typed and accidently hit some key that deleted a couple of words....

What I meant to say was I read the law you cited and I can't see a reason or legal authority for them to shut down the place based on what has been said here and the law you cited.
    Ah, the ambiguity of law - it's what brings home the bacon!

Is this a foreshadow of what to expect if Utah were to get the federal lands as state lands?

It looks like the Goblin Lair route will be open again in the near future. Everyone please remain on your best behavior until this route is officially reopened. The canyoneering community will also need to do a good job of policing ourselves and keeping the route pristine and free of litter and erosion if we intend to keep this route.

Anyhoo.... here is the latest from the Goblin Valley rangers.....

Shane- I think right now the plan is to allow rappelling at goblin lair by permit only. The permits (as of now) will be free and unlimited. Our concern is about safety and erosion. I know the boulder at that site is bomber but other features in the park can be deceiving. So if we do this by permit we can keep track of erosion and limit our safety concerns to that site. I'm going to draft a permit and when we have it ready we will open the site back up.

8. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Excellent. Good job leading the charge, Shane.

Tom

Goblin's Lair is now open!!!

A permit is required to access this route using technical climbing/canyoneering gear. Permits are free and are available at the visitor center/entrance station during normal business hours. A permit is not required for hikers (those not using technical climbing gear) visiting the Chamber of the Basilisk.

Goblin's Lair Route information

11. Likes Sombeech, hank moon liked this post

nice work!
    - Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It looks like the Goblin Lair route will be open again in the near future. Everyone please remain on your best behavior until this route is officially reopened. The canyoneering community will also need to do a good job of policing ourselves and keeping the route pristine and free of litter and erosion if we intend to keep this route.

Anyhoo.... here is the latest from the Goblin Valley rangers.....
    Nice Job dude! Who needs ACA when we have you.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Good work! And great cooperation with (and by) the State Park.

I guess the Park will be monitoring the usage.

Very nice!!! That's awesome news. Thanks for putting forth the effort.
    "Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible" --Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    I guess the Park will be monitoring the usage.
    That is a BIG reason for the permits.... And its not monitoring usage so much and monitoring impact inside the park (both good and bad). For those that don't know Utah State Parks have been under the gun to become more self-sufficient or get shut down. The increase in visitors this route has brought to the park was actually noticeable and considered a positive by the park.

When picking up your permits take a minute and thank the Goblin rangers, particularly Nat Martinez, as they did a good job of educating the big dogs on what was happening, how it would impact the park, and how to make this work.

Now we have this open its up to the canyoneering community to do a good job of policing ourselves and showing the park we are good stewards to maintain access. I think this route will take some extra effort from everyone as its such a beginner friendly (with competent leadership) route.

Also... for some reason kids really love this route. My kids are already bugging the heck out of me to do it again.

Strong work Shane!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Awesome work! I can't wait to get down there!
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Awesome work! I can't wait to get down there!

The rangers are leading guided hikes in there:

http://stateparks.utah.gov/blog/?p=1051
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Blog Entries
    Yup, it's a 3hr tour.

Btw, if anyone ever forgets the gps coordinates to it-just ask the rangers.

We forgot to enter in the coords into my gps before we left, and thankfully the rangers down there had it so you can rap in.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"