Thread: Dark Canyon Wilderness Questions...

Dark Canyon Wilderness Questions...

I am planning on doing a trip to Dark Canyon Wilderness trip the first week of April. We are looking at doing the Woodenshoe Buttes loop trail, and I have some questions about getting out there and conditions.

First off, I have all of the USGS maps from that region and it looks like that trail starts at a higher elevation, which makes me wonder about the snow levels out there at that time and accessibly of that trail head.

There seems to be little documentation about getting to the actual trailhead except for the maps I have that say they are 4x4 roads. Should I expect to have a 4x4 with high clearance?

Thank you very much for any help!

Eric

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Can be iffy with snow at the higher TH. May be able to get to the Sundance TH down by the river......even though we have a low snowpack you never know what we will get by then. I would recommend a 4x4.

Except for a few ruins, Upper Dark Canyon Woodenshoe isn't nearly as scenic as the lower end. The really good scenery doesn't start until about Youngs/Dark Canyon junction and down canyon from that. For that section though, early April is a bit early. You would miss out on all the wonderful swimming holes.

Early April may be too early for the upper canyon as well (in normal years it certainly is).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.