Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Arch Rope Swing

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    What was I thinking? Only Google makes money off of Youtube.

Ken

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    What was I thinking? Only Google makes money off of Youtube.

Ken
    On a side-note: Which is why Viacom is suing google over it. The more views the more money. And typically the more views, the more controversial the subject matter IE tv shows, movie clips, etc, music that isn't licensed. Making a profit off a copyrighted material is viacom's beef.

Sure google will give the "of course we will remove the copyrighted material" but with a wink wink nudge nudge.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

For what it's worth, none of us are making money off of it. Devin is running ads on the BTS video but not on the actual swing video. He's definitely going to get a lot of exposure out of the video and that's going to bring him jobs but he's not really bringing in much from the video being on Youtube. My friends and I did the video for fun. I got to watch my 57 year old mom and my Supreme Court clerk law professor jump off the arch and then I got to propose underneath it. That's all the payment I needed.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Devin is running ads on the BTS video but not on the actual swing video. He's definitely going to get a lot of exposure out of the video and that's going to bring him jobs but he's not really bringing in much from the video being on Youtube.
    Well, sounds like he's bringin' in something...

Salt Lake City filmmaker Devin Graham makes many kinds of YouTube videos for a living, including the one of a giant rope swing off of Corona Arch, near Moab.
    Commercial use permit? Hmmm....

I have friends fightin' with the forest service on having a signle photo published in a calender...can't imagine how to defend someone who's gettin' paid for a video that has over 5 million hits...

Here is an article on making money on Youtube with original content:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/bu...11youtube.html

Please do not take that to mean that I begrudge anyone from doing that. (It is just that I wish I could figure out how to do it!)

Ken

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    For what it's worth, none of us are making money off of it. Devin is running ads on the BTS video but not on the actual swing video. He's definitely going to get a lot of exposure out of the video and that's going to bring him jobs but he's not really bringing in much from the video being on Youtube. My friends and I did the video for fun. I got to watch my 57 year old mom and my Supreme Court clerk law professor jump off the arch and then I got to propose underneath it. That's all the payment I needed.
    Your mom rocks!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    For what it's worth, none of us are making money off of it. Devin is running ads on the BTS video but not on the actual swing video. He's definitely going to get a lot of exposure out of the video and that's going to bring him jobs but he's not really bringing in much from the video being on Youtube.
    Sounds like "Commercial Use" to me! Certainly in a National Park jurisdiction it would be.

The vehemence of SITLA land managers may be considerably less.

T

It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission...

The video rocks

I hope the creators of the video make a million dollars off of it and give the finger to the wannabes and nay-sayers on there way to the bank.

Carry on....

10. Likes JP, ndonaldj liked this post
    Demonizing the concept because of monetary gain?

If the video just didn't take off and got less than 1,000 hits, everybody'd be cool with it and the main focus would go back to how much damage was done to the arch.

If some teens had their cell phone video rolling at ZionS National Park Lodge filming their friend, somehow trips on a curb and lands a funny face plant... the video goes viral, they make money with google ads.... They would be making money from footage filmed in a National Park. You could argue that their intention wasn't for "Commercial Use" but I know plenty of teens who think every time they film their friends getting hit in the crotch, it's going viral.

This results from this video were hoped for, maybe even expected. But had the video flopped, making virtually nothing, the producers wouldn't be so demonized for "intending to make profit" because it failed. So it's only after a success that it's really frowned upon, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    So it's only after a success that it's really frowned upon, right?
    Any port in the storm...kinda.

The video is great. And...that's the problem. Just like 127 hours was a fairly decent film. Its like moths to the flame.

Its a bit of a "nimby" effect, to be sure.

This genie might be hard to put back in the bottle. The shine will come off the apple in a while...and it'll be yesterdays fad.

Wow! Certainly no objection here about you becoming millionaires! No objection here about doing the cool arch swing! Only a bit of concern as to where it all leads? Attention grabbers like this generally lead to negative repercussions (or maybe not;disneyland theme park in Moab?). As I stated in a previous post; 3 separate folks have inquired into buying the proper equipment so that they could drive over and "do" the swing?! Thats just here in small populace SG. The inevitability of many folks heading out to attempt this swing seems quite real? Will restrictions, regulations or denial of the public right to do this follow? Could have keeping it hush-hush insured that it would continue as normal? The internet sure does popularize cool things in a hurry. Whatever happens; it looks like a good time was had by all and good LUCK in future endeavours!

For those that are curious, here are the cameras that were used to film the Corona Arch Swing:

A Canon 5D Mark II
    Canon 7D
    Canon 60D
    IPhone 4S (for one of the shots)
    GoPro HD 1 cameras
    Epic Red One camera (for a couple shots)

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I just saw some facebook photos from some people I know, looks like they did another swing on it this last Sunday

Corona Arch Rope Swing

Good. That didn't take long. I'm glad they got shut down. I hate the commercialization of stuff like that. It's only a matter of time before someone ruins it for the rest of us...

Re: Corona Arch Rope Swing

Closed only to paid guide services? Sounds like it's left pretty much wide open.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Re: Corona Arch Rope Swing

I also noticed the arch is about to become BLM property.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Looks like the inevitable has happened. Sad to hear.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24533690&nid...&s_cid=queue-2

Quote Originally Posted by JTMiller View Post
    Looks like the inevitable has happened. Sad to hear.
    X2