Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Corona Arch Rope Swing

A quick update.... According to recent information from the BLM.... canyoneering and rock climbing are not included in the talks regarding "adrenaline sports" and acceptable land usage for area's managed by the BLM. In my opinion this is a good thing for canyoneers and climbers as I can see nothing good coming from us being lumped in with BASE jumpers and giant rope swings.

Also.... both Corona Arch and Negro Bill Canyon are scheduled to come under BLM management at years end as part of a land swap with STILA. For those new to the game. Negro Bill Canyon is home to the popular Medieval Chamber Canyoneering Route, while Corona Arch provides part of the Advanced Cameltoe Route.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This Thad James character mentioned in the Outside article has said that if he can't get permits to swing Corona commercially, he plans to try and get permits to set up swings on Rainbow Bridge. Yes...THAT Rainbow Bridge in Lake Powell.

http://www.moabtimes.com/view/full_s...at-Corona-Arch
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    This Thad James character mentioned in the Outside article has said that if he can't get permits to swing Corona commercially, he plans to try and get permits to set up swings on Rainbow Bridge. Yes...THAT Rainbow Bridge in Lake Powell.
    Good luck with that....

Talk about delusions of grandeur... I hear their are a couple of nice bridges in Bridges NM that are looking for a rope swing concessionaire.

I would be nearly impossible to get a permit for a rope swing in a National Park or Monument. Those guys can just say "no" because they feel like it.

I may be in the minority, but the first time I viewed the Corona Arch swing, I thought it was in bad taste.

For such a popular and easily accessed arch it does "hog" the arch from others' enjoyment. But using Corona Arch added to the hype and visibility of the video.

Even asking bystanders their opinion is not a method to ascertain their acceptance. Sales uses the same violation of social manners and relies on you not to rock the social boat. Go along to get along, even if you don't really like it. To really find out their opinion, you have to ask them away from the event where their answer and privacy are protected.

What really turns me off is the ego promotion style of the videos. It's not about the beauty, the safe techniques and such. It's more "We're cool 'cause look at we do".

6. Likes rockgremlin, flatiron, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by phatch View Post
    What really turns me off is the ego promotion style of the videos. It's not about the beauty, the safe techniques and such. It's more "We're cool 'cause look at we do".
    Sorry you missed out the first time - there's already been plenty of words dedicated to what douchebags my friends and I are for making that video. If you want to get it on the video-bashing, I'd suggest heading over to Mountain Project. They hate us WAY more over there and you'll probably have an easier time getting people to join in.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

8. Likes blueeyes, 2065toyota liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Sorry you missed out the first time - there's already been plenty of words dedicated to what douchebags my friends and I are for making that video. If you want to get it on the video-bashing, I'd suggest heading over to Mountain Project. They hate us WAY more over there and you'll probably have an easier time getting people to join in.

Actually I noticed Bogley was one of the few outdoor forums that supported the video's for the most part.

Personally I have enjoyed all the video's.... but then again, I understand they are still just a movie and not real life....

I hope you all become millionaires and famous from the video's, I hope folks buy you a free drink when they first meet you, I hope hot young women toss their panties your way.... and I hope to see at least a hundred more video's from ya'll.

11. Likes JP, Deathcricket, xxnitsuaxx, bjp, DOSS liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by phatch View Post
    I'd like to point out that the perspective of the "group" while filming and performing the actions during most videos are often different than the "producer" during editing the footage. Not to compare my video editing to this level, but those with me during filming rarely know what I have in mind for the final production, or the overall impression I'm trying to produce with the combined 10 second clips from each ride, surf, snowboard, or river run.

It's my assumption that many of the "swingers" were scared out of their mind before the jump, and were there with friends just to try something new. They had no idea how the final cut would be and probably assumed that their "entire jump" would be in the footage rather than just 5 seconds.

Even though the crew was very safe and respectable in the setup, the producer's goal is to promote a video/product, to reach as many people as possible.

Imagine if Devin focused more on the rigging setup and safety issues, then he would involuntarily be nomintated as the "authority" on how to rig it up, and when somebody made a mistake and was injured, they could say "I set it up exactly how they showed us how to in the video". I'm sure the group, nor Devin wanted the responsibility of answering rigging questions. And if questions came to Devin regarding the anchor integrity, rope length and dynamic rope stretching rates, he probably would have no information to offer because he was just operating the camera.

As one of the prior article suggests, swinging from the arch started soon after rappelling did. Devin just did an outstanding job of recording an even that has been taking place for decades.

13. Likes xxnitsuaxx, blueeyes liked this post
    Greetings! I think this may be the shortest rope swing I've seen these guys do -