Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Corona Arch Rope Swing

It's unfortunate that your group was falsely accused of damaging the rock so immediately, that this first impression of your irresponsibility can never be undone even after multiple times of explaining how this was not the case and having the footage to prove it.
    Not sure who you are referring to Beech'. Are you talking about the initial discussion on Petzl (which is in the above link) or this particular bogley thread?

If it is the Bogley thread, I did make the comment that there were reports that rope swings have damaged the arch. As far as I know, no one on this current discussion Bogley has said or implied that it was xxnitsuaxx's group. Who are you referring to that has made the false accusations against xxmitsuaxx? It sounds like there have been many groups on the arch swing. After xxmitsuaxx chimed in with his comment, it was also that acknowledged that some of them were already there and caused by rappellers. It has also been pointed out by Burley that the group he saw probably did groove the arch.

Personally, I though this conversation was pretty civil. xxmitsuaxx brought up his thoughts and explained that his group used precautions which were missed by Petzl. I think the point about taking the arch for too long was a good point to consider as well. I think that linking the Petzl discussion, Petzl being who manufactured the equipment that was used was something very valid to look at.

So far I haven't seen any accusations/uncivil discussion (on Bogley) concerning what happened. In the news article, yes, Bogley no. I don't see anything hank said to be accusatory either. So far no one on Bogley has accused xxmitsuaxx of being at fault for the death.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Condolences to the family and anyone grieving. There are inherent dangers in many of the outdoor hobbies that we all love. Learning from each others mistakes can be a valuable tool. Unfortunately in this case, it was a death.

4. Likes UintaSolitude liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    So far I haven't seen any accusations/uncivil discussion (on Bogley) concerning what happened. In the news article, yes, Bogley no.
    You're totally right and this was something that sombeech and I already discussed. While the media, Youtube, and Mountain Project didn't waste any time in flaming us, Bogley was nothing but civil. Most of the responses were positive and even the ones that disagreed with what we did were civil, fair, and logical. Your post was of the same high caliber and I appreciated it.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

6. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Bogley was nothing but civil.

Not sure who you are referring to Beech'. ...

If it is the Bogley thread,

No, not at all. As was mentioned before, Bogley is one of the more tolerant outdoor forums out there. Even with the popular threads like "Assault Weapons" with clear disagreements, I think even that thread has been really civil and open, as with this thread. So I didn't get the notion of vile from anybody here.

As Austin mentioned, it's multiple sources on Facebook, Youtube, and even other forums that have absolutely turned vile towards the video. In the Petzl thread, even after Austin gives the full in depth explanation, there's still some assclown that says " These guys should get their asses whipped for causing damage to the rock and diffusing malpractices in the community." It's too bad, even after extensive measures were taken to ensure safety of the rock, the knee jerk broadcasts from multiple sources trash these guys and spark comments with violent intent.

Yo.... xxnitsuaxx

Check your PM's.

Just spoke with a work mate. She, her hub and 2-3 kids were down there, at the arch, before the accident and then watched the accident. She mentioned a son and daughter in the narrative. She may have had another kid there? Son early 20's, daughter late teens. (And I should note, with all accidents, angle, view, and possible perception & bias can direct a report and opinion.)

Her statment (generally). Family was at/under the arch Sunday. All of a sudden a rope and a bag - looked like a small camel back- came flying down and just about hit my daughter. My husband immediately starting yelling at the people above..... We all backed off from under the arch immediatly and then saw the people standing on the arch. Then we saw a person (young man) jump and kind of swing and then the next instant his upper body hit and his face and body dragged across a wide section of rock. There was blood everywhere. We immediatly left the area and went to the car. This after the people on the arch yelled out that they had cell coverage and had called 911 - para medics were on the way. Our (grown) son stayed until the para medics showed up. My son said there was not much left of his face and there was so much blood. The Para medics told him that he apparently died at impact.

End of report.
    I have seen and witnessed accidents myself - terrible ones. I trust the above is not inappropriate for an adult audience. And if there are any family or relatives viewing I trust they know that all of respect the sanctity of life and are deeply sorrowful as to their loss. It's a major tragedy, a young man at that age - lights out. I'm sorry for the family's loss.

I've been to Carona numerous times over the past decades. I enjoy it most when no one else is there. I've not rapped or swung from the arch. Not an interest of mine.

A reminder I hope/trust...rapping off something, an arch for example - the skill, technique, planning and execution. Folk pay their dues in canyoneering and then move up (in difficulty). Jumping and then swinging from an arch. A different game, somewhat of a different skill set, technique and greater need for planning and safety. I suppose anyone that has this event on their radar will....do just what? I guess folk will do as they wish and plan as they will.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Jeez. That's pretty sobering.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Just spoke with a work mate. She, her hub and 2-3 kids were down there, at the arch, .
    Thanks for posting that.....

I get the feeling this weeks rope swing was not very well thought out.

14. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    This story is going to blow up big time.... it's already getting a lot of play locally and the National News is starting to jump on it. I hear it might be a big story on Good Morning America tomorrow.

Salt lake Tribune
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56...ce=twitterfeed

Deseret News
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...rona-Arch.html

Fox 13
    http://fox13now.com/2013/03/25/one-d...e-swing-stunt/

KUTV
    http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories...vid_4305.shtml

And it just made the front page of Yahoo
    http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/natur...outube-videos/

Wow, I hope that story isn't accurate.

As Austin mentioned, it's multiple sources on Facebook, Youtube, and even other forums that have absolutely turned vile towards the video.
    This is hitting all over the news (including nationally). Wait 24 hours. I bet the Youtube comments are going to grow exponentially, especially in the vile department.

Wow, I hope that story isn't accurate.
    Surely it is. That's exactly what you would expect to happen if the cord was too long.

This is hitting all over the news (including nationally). Wait 24 hours. I bet the Youtube comments are going to grow exponentially, especially in the vile department.
    Exactly. I'm interested to see the extent the criticism will go to regarding their video. As some have already said, we can count on people calling for their "asses to be kicked", and it wouldn't surprise me if some would call for legal action, ignorantly.

And hey Scott, I'm sorry that my comments are often misunderstood, especially towards you. I need to work on my "wordsmithing" a bit. I very rarely hold any ill will towards you and I know my posts have been a little misunderstood in the past. I apologize for that. -and to anybody else for what it's worth. I'm just as blunt with my best friends but I take for granted the fact they know where I'm coming from. In bogley's 9th year, I'm still working on improving my online communication

19. Likes blueeyes, DiscGo liked this post

Surely it is. That's exactly what you would expect to happen if the cord was too long.
    No, that part about someone up top chucking a test weight, without even bothering to find out if anyone below was in danger of being hit.

If my daughter got hit by something like that, well, it wouldn't be pretty.

The test weight story and the detail about hitting and being dragged after contact leads me more then ever to think someone severely underestimated how much a dynamic rope actually stretches under load. If someone standing under the arch was afraid of being hit by a light weight pack, there is not enough ground clearance for a human. And the part about being dragged is exactly would you would expect from the elasticity in a dynamic rope.

22. Likes UintaSolitude liked this post
    Crap. It is of course all fun and games until someone gets hurt. I am as guilty as anyone for vicariously enjoying this rope swing video: 17 million youtube views. I know our thoughts and prayers, as a community, are with the young man's family and friends. Many of you on this forum have seen how accidents can impact public policy. I think it is hard for authorities to clean up what in retrospect looks like a senseless accident caused by a frivolous but foreseeably dangerous activity. It would not be surprising if agencies responsible for public lands take steps to reduce the risk of this type of event from occurring in the future by barring them and related activities. This reasonably should make any canyoneer nervous, for obvious reasons, regarding wilderness access blow-back.

Ken

24. Likes Brian in SLC, Deathcricket liked this post
    Before I share a little more of what happened, or may have happened, I want to express deepest condolences to any friends or family of Kyle who may read this. Last Friday I bought a new ICG rope to use to swing Corona yesterday. I wasn't convinced I wanted to trust both my current static lines. A few weeks ago my friend Jeff and I had planned a trip to climb Castleton on Saturday and then swing Corona yesterday. His 12 yr old Ethan came with us when his climbing partner backed out. Kor-Ingalls was awesome, above my skill level but Jeff led everything and Ethan and I followed. We topped out then rapped down the north face. Yesterday morning we hiked to the arch and climbed up, started setting up anchors, etc. A few minutes (maybe 15-30) later Kyle and the others climbed up. We felt fortunate to be there first so we could do the thing. We wouldn't have waited around if another group had beat us to the arch. We took at least two hours setting up, testing rope lengths, jump angles, rubber hose placement, etc. Jeff made the first jump, didn't push off hard enough and skimmed the wall on the first drop before you tension the ropes and swing. Small lesson learned. Ethan jumped next, smooth and clean. That kid is one amazing 12 yr old. Now my turn. Jump out as far as possible, didn't feel any whip at the bottom of the free fall, swung through as high as the arch. Awesome. Jeff jumped once more to redeem his earlier poor effort. Now the what-ifs begin. For hours now, Kyle and friends had been patiently waiting for their turn. They helped us while we set up, let us use a couple of their ropes for retrieval of the swing ropes and to rap to the ground when needed. After Jeff's last jump, I climbed back up for the last time to release our gear and basically get out of their way. We were ready to go home. Why didn't they ask to swing on our setup? Why didn't I push it when I half-heartedly offered and he declined? I honestly didn't believe more than two of them would jump. It wouldn't have delayed us more than a couple hours. Most of the time, discussions like this on Bogley seem like "preaching to the choir". We are here because we are skilled and responsible to some degree and want to learn more. But this is what I should have done and maybe we can learn to do this better: push the issue if you have more experience, skills or even just years. Look in the eyes, "do you know what you're doing? You can use my ropes. Hell, you can have my ropes." I'm sorry for the indulgent, selfish nature of posting this. I don't think I've ever felt like I do today. My buddy Jeff is taking it hard. I don't know how he told Ethan. I'm sorry.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    It's unfortunate that your group was falsely accused of damaging the rock so immediately, that this first impression of your irresponsibility can never be undone even after multiple times of explaining how this was not the case and having the footage to prove it.

Some of those making the false accusations, rather than issuing a full apology for their knee jerk reactions, have turned more towards the backpedalling of "oh, we mean it's a good idea in general to be safe".

Too bad, you guys really did take the precautions, considered the environment preservation, even the potential "hogging" of the arch, and deserve every bit of success that the project has brought. It's the copycats who are sometimes not as safe with themselves nor with the environment, but yet your group gets the blame for their lack of integrity.
    Making a really great video of swinging the arch has had consequences. One of those consequences is that people less prepared and less savvy will do the same thing, but do it poorly, resulting in damage to the arch, and to themselves.

Just as I have responsibility for the rope grooves and trails on the sandpile in Spry Canyon, because I am the original publicist for that specific canyon.

Tom

Blog Entries
    I just watched the KSL vid on it, and they say the "one vid in particular" is to blame. Obviously they meant Devin Super Tramps, but they played my friend's Jeff Guest and my video instead in their clip.....just to clarify.

EDIT: just saw all of the telecasts and it looks like their 6pm was our video, but the rest of the telecasts were correctly apportioned.

So sad though.... :(

So I'm not sure how this works so maybe Tom or anyone else familiar with BLM (rather should I say, Corona arch is managed by the BLM) could they or SITLA close it down or bar access from the top, legally that is. Sure it's MY land but there are plenty of other BLM managed sites that are closed down (petroglyph sites, 4WD through Paria, etc). Please school me if you don't mind. This red tape between BLM and SITLA confuses me.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"