Thread: Canyoneering Course??

Canyoneering Course??

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if anyone quite remembers me, I wouldn't expect it. But I just returned from an LDS mission and am looking to get back into the swing of outdoor things. I absolutely LOVED my past 2 years, and if anyone would like to talk to me about it I would be very excited to do so...BUT the thing is, I have forgotten a lot of the knots/rigging/whole 9 yards that I knew before. I'm sure it is in the brain somewhere but I have been thinking that it might be nice just to take a canyoneering course and get all caught up to speed once again. I'm willing to shell out the few hundred dollars it takes to go through the ACA. So I am wondering if y'all (I went to Texas) would think this would be a good place to start, OR, is there a better way to get back into the sport?

Gracias!

cookiecutter
    better off outdoors

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Welcome back! I remember you. I made a reference to you last week actually. Who knew 2 years would fly pass this quickly? You're the one in the pic deep in though looking over Toms book with your helmet on.

The ACA disbanded recently and now a new organization has formed called the "American Canyoneers" (.org) and its in it's very very very early infancy but holds a lot of promise and potential.

Anyways, the ACA, now known as the American Canyoneering Academy (instead of Association), still teaches classes/courses. But there are numerous trainin services out there - so the question is, where do you currently live?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

haha, yep thats my pic. The person looking over the book is actually a friend, however I was taking the picture. Who knew that would stick around...

Thanks for such a fast response by the way! And currently I reside in Eastern Idaho. I will be living in Ogden after the summer. I would like to get a class in here relatively soon so as to be ready the months to come. I am willing to drive a ways, I'm two years out of canyons, I'm pretty desperate lol
    better off outdoors

Welcome home. Which mission?

I took a course from Spidey and Clark Wiscombe last fall. It was great. Checkout the ACA meet-up group. They had posted it on there and will probably have another one this spring sometime.
    Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    spidey is probably the closest instructor to you that I know of located in utah county

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    spidey is probably the closest instructor to you that I know of located in utah county
    Here's the link: http://darkhorseleadership.com/

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Here's the link: http://darkhorseleadership.com/

Tom
    Thanks Tom! And for the record, you and your darn book are the reason tha, as a poor college student, I am still willing to shell out a few hundred bucks to get back into this sport haha
    better off outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
    Welcome home. Which mission?
    Texas, San Antonio Spanish Speaking. It was awesome!
    better off outdoors

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I shot an e-mail of to Spidey via his darkhourse e-mail. Looking forward to some good things!
    better off outdoors

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    or you can tag him in this thread like this -> @Spidey