Thread: Wetsuit Recommendations

Wetsuit Recommendations

I need a new wetsuit for canyoneering. I searched the forum for any recommendation threads and came up empty. I ahve seen several posts on wetsuits scattered here and there but no one thread. (If there is/was one and I missed, feel free to shoot me).

Anyways, I have an NRS Farmer John (i believe it is 3mm?), and its rather old many holes, etc. And Im looking to replace it. I have been looking at full body wetsuits because my arms really get cold in the farmer john. But I once rented a wetsuit jacket from ZAC for a cold weather trip and that worked pretty well. So what tends to be the more popular option? Full Body, Short Arms/Farmer John, Shorty? I realize that there are many variables (speed of canyoning, location, time of year, etc etc) to determine whats best. What Im curious is what you fine folks use. Also any brand recommendations would be swell as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Hyperflex is a really good wetsuit - that's my brand.

Um...there are few wetsuit deals a couple times a year and I will buy 2 or 3 from em for usually $50 a piece.

My gear contains, a 3mm full wettie, a 5mm full wettie, a 3mm shortie, a hood, neoprene gloves, neo socks, dry suit socks, and a recently obtained dry suit from ZAC this last year when they were retiring the old ones for $200. I like the variations and would suggest that others do the same. One of my buds use a 5mm for every wet canyon (even ones with little water) and he just melts in em when he's not splashing around. 3mm allows for more movement and less restriction yet a cold barrier on the hottest days.

(I don't mean to be preaching to the choir if I am)
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I have purchased a few wet suits in my day and I agree with Jman about the Hyperflex. The Hyperflex 4/3 is my go-to wetsuit. I combine that with a 5/3 hooded vest and it works great. I have used that set up in Heaps Canyon in the fall and at Freezefest in the Black Hole on New Years Day and lived to tell the tale. I like the 4/3 for just about everything but with the hooded vest, it seals up the 4/3 and feels almost like a dry suit on the core. The suit and vest I purchased from Tom at well, here: http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/home.php?cat=261

I also have a full 3/2 for the hot but just-in-case days. I haven't put on my shorty in years.
    Life is Good

Like they said... Hyperflex all the way. The 4/3 works for most everything especially with the hooded vest for layering. I use the flow series, which is a little more money but eliminates the back zipper and keeps even more water out. I have a thicker suit (6/5/4 with attached hood, also hyperflex) I use in the winter because I lack the natural insulation that some other people have . Make sure you get a suit with glued and blindstiched seams, they seal out a lot of the water and keep you much warmer.

For clarification, Hyperflex is a component product, NOT a brand. I have been told by a variety of retail vendors in S Cal and on the east coast, that there is ONE main US manufacturer (distributor) of hyperflex (actually put together in the Far East) and then sold and re-branded by a ubiquitous host of retailers. T Jones sells a 4/3 hyperflex cyclone suit that is nice. I don't believe he sells the 3/2. A company in S Cal, (I've dealt with) ebodyboarding.com sells a 3/2 (& 4/3) hyperflex cyclone . I'd also put in one's quiver a 2-3mm top vest hood, to be used in cold water or running water canyons. I'm surprised at all the views on this. If doing desert canyons, a 2mm full body or 3/2 (for most) is going to be more than adequate. (Heaps and a cold Imlay are exceptions, as are early and late season travel in Pine Creek). If doing it all over, I'd start with a 3/2, then get a vest/hood, and then if need be a 4/3. Alternatives include a 3mm farmer john and jacket - some seem to like this better, and may be suited for mtn canyons/water. It's a big depends, and certainly body types and extreme cold water conditions can change the need for more (or less) neoprene; and the step into a drysuit, nylon or gortex is a further option. Once upon a time one could get a full body 2mm suit from Sportsman Warehouse for $50 plus tax. The 3/2 I got a while back from ebody cost approx $120.

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    I'm surprised at all the views on this. If doing desert canyons, a 2mm full body or 3/2 (for most) is going to be more than adequate.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

I own at least one of everything and I use a 2mm full body for about 90% of all my canyoneering... YMMV

Wow! I wish I could afford more than one wetsuit! I just have a 7mm full wetsuit that I got from this ebay store: http://myworld.ebay.com/tommydsports...id=p4340.l2559 . I don't know why it was so cheap, but it's served my very well so far. It is kind of thick a lot of the time, and also heavy, but at the same time, I wore it in The Subway last April (really really cold water! ) and was totally warm. I always wear regular clothes over the top of it, but it's held together really well for the price I paid for it, and I figure that when it comes to being warm in the cold water, it's always good to be safe, and if it turns out to be too warm, then I can just take it off and trust in my natural insulation to get me through it.
    Last edited by ilipichicuma; 02-14-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to put in the link
    --Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    For clarification, Hyperflex is a component product, NOT a brand. I have been told by a variety of retail vendors in S Cal and on the east coast, that there is ONE main US manufacturer (distributor) of hyperflex (actually put together in the Far East) and then sold and re-branded by a ubiquitous host of retailers. T Jones sells a 4/3 hyperflex cyclone suit that is nice. I don't believe he sells the 3/2. A company in S Cal, (I've dealt with) ebodyboarding.com sells a 3/2 (& 4/3) hyperflex cyclone . I'd also put in one's quiver a 2-3mm top vest hood, to be used in cold water or running water canyons. I'm surprised at all the views on this. If doing desert canyons, a 2mm full body or 3/2 (for most) is going to be more than adequate. (Heaps and a cold Imlay are exceptions, as are early and late season travel in Pine Creek). If doing it all over, I'd start with a 3/2, then get a vest/hood, and then if need be a 4/3. Alternatives include a 3mm farmer john and jacket - some seem to like this better, and may be suited for mtn canyons/water. It's a big depends, and certainly body types and extreme cold water conditions can change the need for more (or less) neoprene; and the step into a drysuit, nylon or gortex is a further option. Once upon a time one could get a full body 2mm suit from Sportsman Warehouse for $50 plus tax. The 3/2 I got a while back from ebody cost approx $120.
    I don't know what you mean by a "component product", but I can verify that HyperFlex is a brand of wetsuit made by Henderson Aquatic. It is a whole brand, meaning it is not a specific product (ie, one model), but a range of wetsuits of different styles, thicknesses and features, but overall with the technology of using neoprene laminate that flexes about twice that of 'normal' neoprene (which Henderson sells under a different brand name, perhaps Henderson).

http://hyperflexusa.com/categories/wetsuits/

I carry the 4/3 HyperFlex Cyclone full/full suit because I like it and it seems most suitable (in their line) for what we do. It helps that the extra-stretchy rubber means it fits a wider range of people better (especially useful for a mail-order outlet like Canyoneering USA). HyperFlex also offers a 3/2 suit in several styles. I chose the less-expensive Access 3/2 suit and it did not sell well for me, so I no longer stock it. The Cyclone is a better-made suit with stitched and glued seams and a better zipper than the Access sub-brand. The 4/3 suit and the 3/2 suit weigh very close to the same, so I see very little advantage to the 3/2 suit, other than it is less expensive so you don't have to feel so bad about tearing them up. Neoprene knee and elbow pads are a good addition to the arsenal, to keep your suit from getting torn up. I find the 4/3 full/full suit to be suitable for most of the canyons we do, with the addition of the hooded vest and/or ski underwear underneath when needed.

Tom

Tom obviously has it figured out; and after speaking with a number of sales reps and business owners in the past year, I kinda got it figured out too. Long while back Tom started selling a 4/3 Hyperflex Clyclone. In my view it was/is an excellent product and something I recommend. Thereafter I went looking for a replacement 3/2 suit hoping to find a similar Hyperflex Cyclone. There is approx a lb. difference between the two. On his site,(a while back) Tom didn't have the 3/2 and so I seached about, and in the process found that many companies were selling Hyperflex suits and that they were re-branding the suits using their own company name. So in that context, hyperflex was not business name, it was a product that the company was selling. I'm familiar with Henderson, and if their hyperflex wants to always or sometimes be listed as a brand, I don't care. (other company officials I've spoken with simply call it a line of product that they sell) My simple point was and is that interested canyoneers can look and find hyperflex product through different companies. If they want a 4/3 they need look no further than Tom/Imlay. If they wish for another size, they may need to look elsewhere? And one size (4/3) fits all, and works well in all situations? I dont' buy it. Often myself and others will use a 2mm, a 3/2, some will go with a 3m farmer john and some will ramp up to a 3 or 5m semi dry. If I'm in a zone where the suit will possibly be ripped up or torn, I choose not take my 4/3. I'll say it again. Lots of body styles and different needs. Tom and Imlay is a wonderful resource for most canyoneering product and gear. If myself or others look for a product though that he doesn't carry, I trust that's not a misdeed or crime.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Not a misdeed or crime, friend Reflection. I have a small shop and can only carry a very limited selection; and only if they sell in a certain quantity to justify the investment. I have found the 4/3 a very flexible piece, especially when "boosted" with the hooded vest and/or Capilene(TM) Polyester(TM) underwear underneath. When I don't need that much warmth, I take an older, holy 4/3 suit. When I'm worried about getting cold, I pull a brand new suit out of inventory and bring that, if my current "best suit" is too holy to be warm.

Tom

I was just at Costco and they hadBody Glove 2/1mm for $36.00. Pretty cheap and great for layering.

Re: Wetsuit Recommendations

I want to give myself props that I searched before starting a new thread. I am the worst about that.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

FWIW: lately I've been buying all my wesuits here.

Tommy D Sports
    http://www.tommydsports.com/

Great value per dollar....

I miss the team Stearns from Sportsmans warehouse days.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    I miss the team Stearns from Sportsmans warehouse days.
    You could buy one of those wetsuits for what it cost to rent.

We even had our own thread.

Go Team Stearns!
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?26944