Thread: 2012 Bogley Outdoor Recrational Diversity (BORD) Fest, please share your thoughts?

2012 Bogley Outdoor Recrational Diversity (BORD) Fest, please share your thoughts?

Since Bogley is the greatest Diverse Outdoor Recreation site on planet earth, I was thinking that we should celebrate that diversity. And what better way to do that than have a Outdoor Diversity Festival. Nothing to dramatic(or I guess it could be). I was thinking along the lines of a weekend. Now I know Bogley has had many previous group fests of different kinds. What I was thinking of here is something that involves all sides of the recreational spectrum. Where hunting, canyoneers, backpackers, atv enthusiasts, etc... can get together in one celebration of outdoor appreciation and recreation. An event where participants have the opportunity try or learn about something different. In light of recent events, there is a concern polarization amongst membership and an event like this could benefit us all. Not only help to tolerate other diverse members of Bogley , but hopefully come to accept them as friends.

I know I'm not a major contributor to the forum, but I read a lot of the posts and have been around since the UUTAH days. This is simply a notion I've had, please fill free to take the reigns and express your own feelings on possibly having an event like this. Maybe I'm just pissing in the wind, but I thought it is worth a mention:
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Hey, not a bad idea!

A big ole BBQ and volleyball or something?

Ideal Location for us Utah members would be SLC, no?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I think he is talking about having several events going on and people can participate in something perhaps out of their comfort zone, and by learning a new hobbie it will bring the different groups/personalities together and we can all be friends. It's a good idea!

Cruzing up to SLC is a little far for me. But just tossing out ideas, I would be willing to host a beginner rapelling/rock climbing class here in Saint George, helmets encouraged but totally optional. I have 6 ropes but only 3 harnesses though. So size would be limited by that factor. I also have a child's size, so 3 adults and one child. But we could conceivably borrow 3 more harnesses and have a bunch of people. Another idea is I recently got into paintballs, you can rent a complete set of noobie equip for $35 and we could have our own paintball team and take on the locals, the fields here are pretty awesome. That's something neutral where no one is an expert, so we would all be noobs and have fun. And it's a good time of year for all those activities. We could top the day off with a nice bike ride on some trails I'm sure Dave could lead that. There is even a shooting range at the bottom of Bearclaw Poppie, it's a little crowded on the weekends but we could find a spot to unload some bullets, do some clay pidgeon shooting, stuff like that. Again I only have my Mossberg, if we got like 4 or 5 guns we could take turns and share it up...
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I think this is a cool idea--maybe have a north and south BORD Fest?

I've got 2 kids dirt bikes and a couple atv's that would be fun.

I'm also a NRA certified shotgun instructor and range safety officer and would be willing to help in shooting sports.

For N Utah, I think the problem might be finding a location--one that would safely accommodate multiple activities. Maybe the West Desert somewhere?

Thanks, for the contributions to the thread, I think all of the posts have great ideas. I'm hoping to have more participation in this thread. This is a great opportunity for members of the forum to show acceptance and tolerance. Here is an opportunity to show others the real you, possibly an event to prove that people are more than trolls who reside in the political and environmental forums posting passive aggressive threads, or pro gun extremists who blast jack rabbits, etc....
    I believe people can be not just amicable, but great friends no matter what side of the isle they're on, or what ever outdoor recreating they enjoy.

Great ideas. Maybe just a lunch somewhere in SLC? We used to do those all the time and I have met many people that have different interests to mine.

Sometimes we forget that this is only the internet. It is hard for some (or all of us at times) to distinguish "online" vs real life. I do understand that through Facebook and dozens of other social sites (including this one), many people are living their lives "online" in today's digital world. We have to remember that "online" is only a small view into the life of an individual and it does not represent their entire life.

If you want more participation, invite the Canyoneers to bring their guns to shoot the rabbit hunters

Yeah, my first thought reading this was that someone who only posts in the political section is going to show up at a gun-thing and try to shoot Tom.

I like the idea of a multi-sport weekend, or at least plan a lunch somewhere soon...

Moab is a great place for a get together, along with St George. Plus they're fun to get out of the cold.

Mtn Biking, Hiking, Canyoneering, Geocaching, Camping.... or just a casual drive through a National Park and then just meet up for dinner.

I like the concept of introducing people to different sports, maybe have a CASUAL rappelling demo or clinic, or have some beginner bikers join up for a nice casual ride.

Absolutely a great idea! One little 'but' from my side, the travel will be quite far since I live in the Netherlands.
    However, I'll be in Utah around the 20th to the 30th of May, if it is organised then, I'll be present as well!
    But even without me, just do it!

Well the number is small but it's a good start. Perhaps we should require participants to bring another member they know promotes diversity but has a hard time acting on it. You know be their diversity sponsor like in AA:)

Anyways I would like to see an event where people can learn or participate in different forms of recreation, but if we have to start out with lunchs and get togethers, than so be it. Either way it's a great way to gain new friendships.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I'd be up for something: Hiking, ATV'ing, biking, geocaching, camping. I'm in the Swell (at Buckhorn Well) at present, so temperature is irrelevant to me. (and for Don: I'd leave my gun at home or at least in my truck)
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Yeah, my first thought reading this was that someone who only posts in the political section is going to show up at a gun-thing and try to shoot Tom.

I like the idea of a multi-sport weekend, or at least plan a lunch somewhere soon...
    Multi-sport? For me that would be run and hide, I suspect.

T