Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

The Map is now functional. Enjoy!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Version 14.1 is now available. I've added about 100 canyons to the Death Valley area.

The list of new Death Valley canyons is here: http://ropewiki.com/index.php/Scott_...ng_Exploration

I'm going to add some more canyons to The Map next week (Bluu Gnome, New Mexico). If there is anything you feel is missing, let me know. Peakbaggers, I'll post up the stuff you sent me, I haven't forgotten.

Does anyone know the coordinates for the SGR slot in Moab?
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

4. Likes deagol liked this post
    SGR is PIR, AIU. TMN, BTB, or GWS who has BTB.

YMMV or IMN.

I found SGR. Thanks for the alphabet soup Rob L, and for offering to help Mr M.

New Mexico is a little weak on this map... but it doesn't need to be... this NMex Slot Canyon Website is brand new and already has 53 entries: http://www.dougscottart.com/hobbies/SlotCanyons.htm ...the snow is slowing us down but we're still exploring weekly and finding new ones....

8. Likes dude9478 liked this post
    It's too big for Google Maps? I admit I haven't used the new My Maps in Google Maps very much, but I just tried to import this kml and I'm not sure Google is importing the whole file. Below is a screen grab of the message from Google. How many layers/features does this map have? How do I know I got the whole thing imported?

Name:  bigfile.PNG
Views: 1103
Size:  57.9 KB

A couple more screen shots of the map after the message.

Name:  layers.PNG
Views: 1050
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:  map.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  47.7 KB

Actually, after messing around with it a minute or two I'm pretty certain that it did not import everything. I deselected the out-of-utah layers and started looking around; I don't see North Wash canyons, Swell Canyons, Canyonlands Canyons, Zion Canyons, or Moab Canyons. Another screen shot with all Utah layers selected:

Name:  missing1.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  54.4 KB

I deleted the map in Google Maps, then re-imported it. Same problem. (Am I doing something wrong?)

Edit: Imported it to the BackCountry Navigator Pro app on my phone. It looks beautiful there. Has 807 waypoints in the app (still not sure how to get Google My Maps to tell me how many waypoints imported).

Edit II: I got the same "That's a big file!" message when I tried to import Shaggy's map.

Edit III: Google My Maps gives the option to import by uploading from the local drive or import from a file in Google Drive. I tried to import from Google Drive and still got the same "That's a big file!" message and incomplete import.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I deleted the map in Google Maps, then re-imported it. Same problem. (Am I doing something wrong?)

Edit: Imported it to the BackCountry Navigator Pro app on my phone. It looks beautiful there. Has 807 waypoints in the app (still not sure how to get Google My Maps to tell me how many waypoints imported).

Edit II: I got the same "That's a big file!" message when I tried to import Shaggy's map.

Edit III: Google My Maps gives the option to import by uploading from the local drive or import from a file in Google Drive. I tried to import from Google Drive and still got the same "That's a big file!" message and incomplete import.
    I don't think Google Maps will hold all the data for that large of a KML file. Might want to just use Google Earth. If you must have it in Google Maps, you could save the layers seperate From Google Earth and them upload them to Google Maps. Just a thought...
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Blog Entries

The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I don't think Google Maps will hold all the data for that large of a KML file. Might want to just use Google Earth. If you must have it in Google Maps, you could save the layers seperate From Google Earth and them upload them to Google Maps. Just a thought...
    Yea, that would probably be best, but a pain...until Google supports larger kml files.

Basically, you would have a Moab.kml, Zion.kml, escalante.kml, secret canyons.kml, tell-but-dont-show-canyons.kml... etc.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

15. Likes Kuya liked this post
    I was afraid of that. Lame that I have plenty of space in Google Drive but can't use the file in Google maps.
    Maps works best for playing around with maps at work. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I was afraid of that. Lame that I have plenty of space in Google Drive but can't use the file in Google maps.
    Maps works best for playing around with maps at work. ;)
    Maybe try something like CalTopo. I just uploaded the KML to my Caltopo maps and it worked without any problem.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I found SGR. Thanks for the alphabet soup Rob L, and for offering to help Mr M.
    I still don't see it on the KML. Am I missing something ??

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    I still don't see it on the KML. Am I missing something ??
    You'll probably have to wait until "Slot Machine" has the next version of the map ready. Slot Machine found the coordinates, but hasn't uploaded a new version of the kml file with it in there.

20. Likes deagol liked this post
    http://www.summitpost.org/object_lis...mit_query=+Go+

thats a long URL... summit post has some that are missing look under canyons,routes,trailheads from your map also roadtripryan has some ex. Canyoneering Upper Three Fingers Canyon - San Rafael SwellCanyoneering Box Canyon - Maple Canyon

22. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by levifackrell View Post
    http://www.summitpost.org/object_lis...mit_query=+Go+

thats a long URL... summit post has some that are missing look under canyons,routes,trailheads from your map also roadtripryan has some ex. Canyoneering Upper Three Fingers Canyon - San Rafael SwellCanyoneering Box Canyon - Maple Canyon
    If you would like to add some canyons to the map (and I appreciate the kind folks that do), please do it like this:

1. Levi canyon (GPS coords, Degrees Minutes Seconds)
    2. Fackrell canyon (GPS coords)
    3. Helmetless canyon (GPS coords)

OR;

Send me a KML map of the canyons that need to be added (with no extra canyons or duplicate canyons please).

That way I don't waste my time or lose any more marbles.

Thank you.

24. Likes Taylor, Iceaxe liked this post
    VERSION 15 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE

Special thanks to @levifackrell and the @peakbaggers for their contributions to this version.

WHAT'S NEW?

SGR Slot
    Trough Canyon
    Quarry Canyon
    Scar Tissue Canyon
    Three Fingers Canyon
    Maple Canyon
    Offshore Canyon
    Pearson Canyon
    Devil’s Drain Canyon
    Keyhole Canyon (Nevada)
    Motorcycle Canyon
    Upper Greasewood Draw
    Lupacchiotta Canyon

I've also adjusted how some of the Lake Powell canyons are labeled; closed/restricted status for a few canyons has been updated, some of the larger drainages have been labeled, and several guesses have been removed.

Enjoy!

26. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Thank you again for this!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

28. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thanks for the kind words @DiscGo ! I'm glad that you like it.

30. Likes 2065toyota, DiscGo liked this post