Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

Name:  north-dakota-jan2.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  18.5 KB

Here is one in North Dakota. I do not have the GPS coordinates. Hopefully someone else will have them. If you hit this one "In Season" it is unlike any other canyon you have done. Make sure you have good beta, as this canyon requires specialized equipment.

2. Likes accadacca, Slot Machine, wasatchghost liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is AWESOME!!! Thank you sooo much!
    cheers,

Whit

5. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    VERSION 7 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE

HELPFUL MAP TIP OF THE DAY:

BING MAPS HAS THE CLEAREST SATELLITE IMAGERY I'VE EVER SEEN. THEIR IMAGES ARE MUCH HIGHER RESOLUTION THAN GOOGLE MAPS, THEY USE ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPHS (VS PHOTOGRAPHS THAT HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO 3D IMAGERY LIKE GOOGLE EARTH). WHEN BROWSING, CLICK ON "AREIAL VIEW" TO SEE THE PHOTOGRAPHS.

SADLY, THE SUPER AMAZING MAP IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH BING MAPS. (AS FAR AS I KNOW)

General question for everyone: Is this canyon Egypt 5?

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Slot Machine;491816]

General question for everyone: Is this canyon Egypt 5?

WOW, that sounds like a good time! I'll have to work on my crack climbing skills before trying E5. Next week we will just explore it from the bottom, to see what we are in for.

And DOUBLE WOW on sharing the beta! (not being snide) Thank you Tom for taking the time, that is a very good description.

Bob
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    WOW, that sounds like a good time! I'll have to work on my crack climbing skills before trying E5. Next week we will just explore it from the bottom, to see what we are in for.

And DOUBLE WOW on sharing the beta! (not being snide) Thank you Tom for taking the time, that is a very good description.

Bob
    I am happy to share beta when I am happy to share beta. Not so happy some other times...

Power chimneying, flared downward. Requires strength AND technique.

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    We call that E5 Top
    Is this the same thing as Beaver Dam Canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    I have no idea. Is that a Kelsey name? Sounds like it, as it is entirely non-descript, and could be used to describe 1000 canyons in Utah. Kelsey = not my department.

T

Beaver Dam Canyon was named by Scott Patterson and I was under the impression that it was an AKA for E5

BING MAPS HAS THE CLEAREST SATELLITE IMAGERY I'VE EVER SEEN. THEIR IMAGES ARE MUCH HIGHER RESOLUTION THAN GOOGLE MAPS, THEY USE ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPHS (VS PHOTOGRAPHS THAT HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO 3D IMAGERY LIKE GOOGLE EARTH). WHEN BROWSING, CLICK ON "AREIAL VIEW" TO SEE THE PHOTOGRAPHS.

SADLY, THE SUPER AMAZING MAP IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH BING MAPS. (AS FAR AS I KNOW)
    Hmmm... maybe we'll have to provide a Bing Maps option huh? Let me look into that, no promises though

Wow this map is amazing. I can't wait to get out and try some canyons. Sandthrax sounds like a cool adventure. Good to finally see where the classics like Choprock and Imlay are. Little Wild Horse was soooo much fun, I can't wait to try something a little harder.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Wow this map is amazing. I can't wait to get out and try some canyons. Sandthrax sounds like a cool adventure. Good to finally see where the classics like Choprock and Imlay are. Little Wild Horse was soooo much fun, I can't wait to try something a little harder.
    Okay, I'm 95% positive this was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchghost View Post
    Okay, I'm 95% positive this was a joke.
    Just trying to ruffle panties and bunch feathers. Although it really was my first post. I guess I need to finish my profile and start contributing. I was hoping for more reaction but then I saw a new thread on risk assessment that could have been partly inspired by that post. Whatever happened to good ole 'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Just trying to ruffle panties and bunch feathers. Although it really was my first post. I guess I need to finish my profile and start contributing. I was hoping for more reaction but then I saw a new thread on risk assessment that could have been partly inspired by that post. Whatever happened to good ole 'ing.
    Well... because while you know your post was ridiculous, there are quite a few who might not because, after all, that canyoneering thing - just sliding down ropes, nothing to it. Heck, monkeys could do it!

On the note of sharing beta...
    I've been putting on image overlays on the routes for a few canyons that I've done or want to do. Now, this is using someone else's maps and without permission. With their permission is anyone else interested in these overlays? It takes a bit of time lining everything up. If people are interested I'll keep going, otherwise I'll just stick with what I want.

I have no idea. Is that a Kelsey name? Sounds like it, as it is entirely
    non-descript, and could be used to describe 1000 canyons in Utah. Kelsey = not
    my department.
    The beaver dam slot (perhaps non-caps) is we called it in the early 1990's before the Egypt numbering was published. We called it that because a beaver had built it's dam right near the mouth of the slot and it backed up a pond actually into the slot. It was more a generic thing we called it than an official name. E4 was "bloody", but it wasn't meant to be an official name either, just what we called it.

We did not do the section of E5 Tom is referring to, only the lower section (which was nasty).

Anyway in April 1988, during a Coyote Gulch trip Steve Negler told us about some canyon that is so dark that you need a flashlight to get through. He mentioned that you park at Egypt to find it, but didn't say anything else about it. In the early 1990's we went out looking for it and found (found for us I mean as others obviously knew about them) all the Egypt slots. We thought one of the Egypt slots must be it, but it wasn't until another trip with Steve in 1995 that we were looking on the wrong side of the river all this time. What is now known as Ringtail now was actually the canyon Steve was referring to.

Anyway, (along with Neon) we thought of the Egypt slots as one of our "secret areas", but then Steve Allen published them in 1998 so I let Kelsey know about them since the cat was out of the bag anyway. Neon was also a "secret haunt" among some Sierra Club members in the 1980's and probably before. It seems that few people even referred to Ringtail as Neon, possibly by mistake (I've heard one person say that Neon that requires the flashlight (?) and I contacted Kelsey with this then when we first started looking for it, asking him if he knew where it is). Earlier some people called Neon "Caverns Hollow", but in retrospect, I wonder the original "Caverns Hollow" was actually meant to be Ringtail (which was SA's name) and that people were confusing the two? I've been trying to track it all down with little luck.

Anyway Steve Negler used to be a prominent member of the Wasatch Mountain Club. Does anyone know if he's still around?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Redpb View Post
    On the note of sharing beta...
    I've been putting on image overlays on the routes for a few canyons that I've done or want to do. Now, this is using someone else's maps and without permission. With their permission is anyone else interested in these overlays? It takes a bit of time lining everything up. If people are interested I'll keep going, otherwise I'll just stick with what I want.
    I might be interested. In what way are your overlays more useful than the maps that have already been published? Can you post an example of an overlay?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    What is now known as Ringtail now was actually the canyon Steve was referring to.
    Cool historical info! Thanks for sharing Scott!

I might be interested. In what way are your overlays more useful than the maps that have already been published? Can you post an example of an overlay?

Bob
    Probably, absolutely, no more useful but, I like the look of it. It might give a little more insight to those who haven't done it on what to expect as far as elevation gains/drops.

Here is a few that I've put on. Heaps I think might need a little tweaking. I haven't done that one, so I'm not sure how it goes. But the contours looks good.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Redpb View Post
    Probably, absolutely, no more useful but, I like the look of it. It might give a little more insight to those who haven't done it on what to expect as far as elevation gains/drops.

Here is a few that I've put on. Heaps I think might need a little tweaking. I haven't done that one, so I'm not sure how it goes. But the contours looks good.
    Whoa... nice work! Yeah definately get permission from the publishers. Obviously, that is Shane's map, it's copywritten, he might not be cool with sharing that.

Cool idea however!