Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

VERSION 4 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE.

I am happy to work with the National Park Service regarding any issues with The Map. No additional markers will be added to Arches National Park after this version.

Special thanks the the people that contributed to this update. You guys rock.
    Enjoy!

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Do you want a couple Wyoming ones added?

Quote Originally Posted by jumar View Post
    Do you want a couple Wyoming ones added?
    Sure! Spur Canyon looks interesting...

Bob
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Are you the same Joseph that designed Gmap4?

If so, your software rocks.

Would you mind giving those of us that are less savy a quick tutorial on how to get a .kml file into Google Sites then into Gmap4?

Bob
    Yes, 'tis I. Thanks for the kind words.

The hand-holding you are looking for is on p.28. of the Gmap4 Help file in a section titled:
    "Place your files online via Google Sites - It's free"
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.pdf

I was just looking at your latest map. You have Insomnia and Illusions (in AZ) labeled correctly so you can remove the question marks.

Wormhole at Lake Powell is labeled correctly, so you can remove the question marks.

You are slightly off on Downward Spiral, it is located here:

Slot,

Thanks for the map! It is a great resource for those of us who don't spend our lives in the canyons, but got several times a year and want to make the most out of a trip. For myself in particular, seeing where a number of canyons are located gives me a starting point, (or camping spot) to begin a trip. From there I can then get the beta on these canyons from friends who have done them, or sites like Climb-utah and Bogley. Some of us who love canyoneering have desk jobs, wives and little kids that prevent us from going as often as many of you. Have fun!

I showed this to a buddy here at work today. He has been an avid hiker/backpacker and recently discovered canyoneering. He was blown away by all the canyons and how nice it was to see them from the air. We buzzed around in google earth mode for a while and it was really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
    Thanks for the map! It is a great resource for those of us who don't spend our lives in the canyons, but got several times a year and want to make the most out of a trip. For myself in particular, seeing where a number of canyons are located gives me a starting point, (or camping spot) to begin a trip. From there I can then get the beta on these canyons from friends who have done them, or sites like Climb-utah and Bogley. Some of us who love canyoneering have desk jobs, wives and little kids that prevent us from going as often as many of you. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I showed this to a buddy here at work today. He has been an avid hiker/backpacker and recently discovered canyoneering. He was blown away by all the canyons and how nice it was to see them from the air. We buzzed around in google earth mode for a while and it was really cool!
    Thanks for the compliments! It is good to hear that the map is proving useful to the community. Your feedback is appreciated.

VERSION 5 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE

Special thanks to Iceaxe, jumar and to those who prefer to remain anonymous for their contributions to this update!

Is there anybody that would like to share some canyons in California?

Bob

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Thanks for the compliments! It is good to hear that the map is proving useful to the community. Your feedback is appreciated.

VERSION 5 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE

Special thanks to Iceaxe, jumar and to those who prefer to remain anonymous for their contributions to this update!

Is there anybody that would like to share some canyons in California?

Bob
    There's a lot here: http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/content.htm

I would suggest starting with Death Valley canyons, as 'tis the season.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    There's a lot here: http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/content.htm

I would suggest starting with Death Valley canyons, as 'tis the season.

Tom
    *cough* *sputter* *sloshes beer onto my March edition of Cartographer's Monthly featuring my face on the cover*

Emeritus my ass, look at that content! You'll be back to being The Emperor before ya know it.

Thanks Tom.

Bob

VERSION 6 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE

This update is BIG. If you are from Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington or Canada please take a look at the canyons that have been added to your area. Please let me know if there are any errors (there are probably a few). Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm looking to expand the map to Hawaii and New Zealand. Please let me know if you have info for canyons in those locations.

Enjoy!

Bob

There's a bunch of sensitivities about several issues in New Zealand. Private land and Didymo come to mind immediately. May I advise against posting those on your map?

Thanks.

Tom

OK, I need help.....(besides the obvious). Do I save the link from your original post and access the latest version from that? I do not see a link in this now that leads to it. Is there a sticky on this that gets updated?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    OK, I need help.....(besides the obvious). Do I save the link from your original post and access the latest version from that? I do not see a link in this now that leads to it. Is there a sticky on this that gets updated?
    Yes, you must save the link from the original post to access the latest version. You should delete the old version from Google Earth before installing the new one (this is obvious when you see all the duplicated markers I suppose). There is no sticky that gets updated. Please send me a PM if you have any other issues, I'm happy to help.

Bob

There's a bunch of sensitivities about several issues in New Zealand. Private land and Didymo come to mind immediately. May I advise against posting those on your map?

Thanks.

Tom
    I think you have a valid point, although National Geographic's October 2011 article on canyoning in New Zealand would certainly have a greater impact on those issues than exposing canyon locations on The Map.

Here are the photos from those canyons:
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...er-photography

Do you have any information on the issues with New Zealand that you could educate us with? Can people visit these canyons responsibly?

Do similar canyoneering issues exist in Hawaii since the climate is somewhat similar (compared to Utah)?

Thanks for your input.
    Bob

I think you have a valid point, although National Geographic's October 2011 article on canyoning in New Zealand would certainly have a greater impact on those issues than exposing canyon locations on The Map.

Here are the photos from those canyons:
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...er-photography

Do you have any information on the issues with New Zealand that you could educate us with? Can people visit these canyons responsibly?

Do similar canyoneering issues exist in Hawaii since the climate is somewhat similar (compared to Utah)?

Thanks for your input.

Bob
    You are aware, Bob, that New Zealand and Australia are different countries? From over here, kinda close together, but separate none the less...

Info on NZ is available at the Kiwi Canyons Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kiwi_c...guid=261401300

Info on Australia is available at the Oz Canyons Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OzCany...guid=261401300 I hope to soon have a few copies of Canyons near Syndney for sale.

Hawaii has lots of private land issues, no Didymo as far as I know.

Tom

I'm looking to expand the map to Hawaii and New Zealand. Please let me know if you have info for canyons in those
    As someone who deals in the spewing of beta.... I'd advise that you stick to one geographical location.... in your case maybe the USA.

Lots of reasons for this... the first being if you make an elephant sandwich you have eat it.... or let it go to waste.

I believe you will find your map of the USA to be a large and never ending project, at least if you intend to pursue it. I mean you still have a long ways to go just to finish up the USA. You can always expand at a later date if you feel the urge.

Anyhoo.... just my 2 cents.

You are aware, Bob, that New Zealand and Australia are different countries? From over here, kinda close together, but separate none the less...
    DOH! I forgot the article in National Geographic was about canyoning in Australia. I thought that it was about Sleeping God Canyon in NZ.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
    Last edited by Slot Machine; 03-02-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Canyons Near Sydney is an actual publication, not just a snarky comment by Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    As someone who deals in the spewing of beta.... I'd advise that you stick to one geographical location.... in your case maybe the USA.

Lots of reasons for this... the first being if you make an elephant sandwich you have eat it.... or let it go to waste.

I believe you will find your map of the USA to be a large and never ending project, at least if you intend to pursue it. I mean you still have a long ways to go just to finish up the USA. You can always expand at a later date if you feel the urge.

Anyhoo.... just my 2 cents.
    Good point. If I find myself placing markers in North Dakota then I'll know this poject... and my life... has taken a dramatic turn for the worse.

Hmm... maybe I'll just limit The Map to the Western US and Hawaii. I'll include Hawaii since it is feasable for a canyoneer in Utah to go canyoneering there. Hmmm... what does my schedule look like next winter..?

Bob

Good point. If I find myself placing markers in North Dakota then I'll know this poject... and my life... has taken a dramatic turn for the worse.