Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    That link is dated 4-10-2017. So it's a year late. Try again....

We're looking for first to publicly beta, not crybaby whining after the fact.

The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

Shane, you're not paying attention. The canyons posted in the link were published BEFORE bobs trip ended THIS year and he had a chance to publish them.

Indeed after his descents but BEFORE his publication.

Just a little consistency. Not whining

I'm out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can go by is what I can research, you keep pointing me to a post from last week.

So what am I missing?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the one labeled Lion has definitely been published before. It is in many books/websites dating back more than two decades.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Dudes.

I made up the names in 2015.

We did three of them in 2016, Lion, Tiger and Cheetah.

I did not know them by any other names, and didn't even realize that Kelsey used a particular name for Lion (I thought he used a generic name, and it sort of is). I like Lion better, so I use Lion.

This year we did a bunch of them, April 1st - April 9th. Again, the new ones we did not know by any other names. I still don't, because I haven't read whatever you guys are freaking out about (because I don't care). It was a pretty awesome trip, and we used our names countless times, so I will forever know them by those names.

Feel free to call them whatever you like. Don't matter to me.

What does matter to me? Having fun. If you were having more fun than us, THEN I'd be concerned.

I did not know them by any other names, and didn't even realize that Kelsey used a particular name for Lion (I thought he used a generic name, and it sort of is). I like Lion better, so I use Lion.
    There are two previously used names for the slot. Kelsey calls it Upper West Canyon Slot. The Navajos call it Nashdoi. Kelsey's name goes back to the early 1990's, but the Navajo name is much older than that. Nashdoi is labeled on the 7.5 minute map, but most canyoneers just call it the Upper West Canyon Slot because it is easier to pronounce (Nashdoi's full name is actually Nashdoi Tii Yiyiisxini). (At the time Kelsey used the metric maps).

The canyon has been published in at least 11 books and many websites, dating back to at least 1988.

For the Navajo name, here is the screen shot of the 7.5 quad:

Name:  west slot.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  104.6 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes twotimer, ratagonia, Slot Machine liked this post
    edit-see below

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    All I can go by is what I can research, you keep pointing me to a post from last week.

So what am I missing?
    @Iceaxe Just to clarify whats being said is the Bob went on a trip last year and he posted the ones he calls Lion, Tiger, and Cheetah, and you are correct, those routes have never been publicly betaed under any other name although Bob is aware of them. The link in question posted 4-10-17 is of three canyons that we didn't do last year, we did them this year and the post is from before he published them.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    @Iceaxe Just to clarify whats being said is the Bob went on a trip last year and he posted the ones he calls Lion, Tiger, and Cheetah, and you are correct, those routes have never been publicly betaed under any other name although Bob is aware of them. The link in question posted 4-10-17 is of three canyons that we didn't do last year, we did them this year and the post is from before he published them.
    Thanks for the cheat sheet for those of us trying to play along at home.

Here's a quick and handy reference for those playing along at home and all those who have been to upper West before (so you know what canyon is being referred to):

Porcupine- Hall of Horrors
    Cheetah- Happy Ending
    Lynx- not previously explored
    Leopard- Amnesia
    Tiger- Arch Rival
    Lion- Upper West Narrows
    Ocelot- Humble Beginnings
    Sabertooth- Cosmar (Romanian for "nightmare")
    Bobcat- Full House

I will also post this list on the Upper West beta thread for reference.

14. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I don't care what name you use, that looks like an awesome canyoneering buffet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    The Navajos call it Nashdoi.
    Well this is interesting! I've been all over West Canyon over the years on backpack trips, mostly over Cummings Mesa and a few from the lake. Done the slot twice, 2000 and 2003. Mike told me there was a keeper in there but both times it was tippy top full.

We always assumed that that Navajo name was for a very large pothole that is a few hundred yards up canyon from where the slot begins...sheep could get to it. It never occurred to us that they named the slot.

We found an exit from West directly across from the entry from the Mesa...where you see "hogan" on the map. That was a nine night backpack from Rainbow Bridge to Kaibito Creek. There's also an old sheep trail along the cliffs of Cummings Mesa that bypasses the narrows...but who'd wanna do that? The sheep, I reckon...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

17. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Scott P, jman liked this post
    We always assumed that that Navajo name was for a very large pothole that is a few hundred yards up canyon from where the slot begins...sheep could get to it. It never occurred to us that they named the slot.
    That is also possible. I always thought it was the name of the slot, but it could certainly be the pothole.

Now, in a strange turn of events; after some more digging, I found that the true meaning of the word Nashdoi is actually bobcat.

See the source below:

https://glosbe.com/en/nv/wildcat

Apparently tii can also mean route or path, so the part of the name on the map "Nashdoi Tii" might translate to "Route of the Bobcat" or "Bobcat Route". I couldn't find anything on Yiyiisxini. Tii's with the apostrophe and "s" means water or cottonwood, so that is another possibility for tii if the word was meant to have an apostrophe. "Bobcat Water" is yet another possibility.

It appears that Bob (Slot Machine) was actually onto something; he just chose the wrong cat for the wrong canyon.

Personally, I'd suggest moving the name Bobcat Route (or Nashdoi-the Navajo word for bobcat) to the Upper Slot as it might even be accurate (even if it does refer to the pothole at the slot head).

I don't think anyone could object to having the upper slot named Bobcat since that might actually be the true name for the slot (though I like the Navajo word Nashdoi), or at least the closest officially named landmark.

19. Likes Slot Machine, twotimer liked this post

It appears that Bob (Slot Machine) was actually onto something; he just chose the wrong cat for the wrong canyon.

Personally, I'd suggest moving the name Bobcat Route (or Nashdoi-the Navajo word for bobcat) to the Upper Slot as it might even be accurate (even if it does refer to the pothole at the slot head).
    What a trip, huh? This reminds me of Carl Jung's Synchronicity Theory.

Perhaps Bob has done a hell of a lot more research than he's letting on, eh? What a wild coincidence otherwise!
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

21. Likes Scott P liked this post
    If you want a map change, then you are going to have to get in line behind all of the other people.

It would probably be faster to just make a new map thread and call them whatever you like.

That is a cool tidbit about Nashodi, something I wasn't aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    We found an exit from West directly across from the entry from the Mesa...where you see "hogan" on the map. That was a nine night backpack from Rainbow Bridge to Kaibito Creek. There's also an old sheep trail along the cliffs of Cummings Mesa that bypasses the narrows...but who'd wanna do that? The sheep, I reckon...
    That is a pretty nice exit. We used that one a bunch.

The sheep trail is pretty awesome, makes for quick travel. Maaaan, the views up there are to die for!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Apparently tii can also mean route or path, so the part of the name on the map "Nashdoi Tii" might translate to "Route of the Bobcat" or "Bobcat Route". I couldn't find anything on Yiyiisxini. Tii's with the apostrophe and "s" means water or cottonwood, so that is another possibility for tii if the word was meant to have an apostrophe. "Bobcat Water" is yet another possibility.
    The USGS, the folks who printed the map, go a long way out of their way to avoid apostrophes. Angels Landing. Mollies Nipple. etc. So the tii is likely a mis-typing of tii's.

Tom

The USGS, the folks who printed the map, go a long way out of their way to avoid apostrophes.
    Yes, the USGS doesn't use apostrophes at all.

For Slotmachine...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

27. Likes Slot Machine liked this post