Midget Rattler
    Big Rattlesnake Canyon
    Five for the Drive
    Six Appeal
    Fixed Big Tony / Sleepy Hollow labeling
    Observation Point Canyon
    Dos Bolsas Cajones
    Eastern Sun

I've also deleted a few superfluous markers and tightened up the placement of several others.

Enjoy!

2. Likes jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    by Rattlesnake Canyon, do you mean BIG Rattlesnake Canyon?

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    by Rattlesnake Canyon, do you mean BIG Rattlesnake Canyon?
    Yes. Fixed!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

wow, this map is awesome, thanks so much. I imported the kml file into basecamp, reexported as gpx and now have all these coordinates in basecamp and on my etrex30. very cool. I wonder how long it will take me to do all these

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    This map is insane !!! There are enough canyons on here to keep ones self busy for a lifetime !!!

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Glad to see the canyon map is still going strong. I am the developer of Gmap4 which is an enhanced Google map viewer that is displaying the map.

I noticed on the first page of the thread it says:
    "Click on the 't1 Terrain' tab in the upper right hand corner, scroll down to 'Earth' and click that. There will be a prompt that asks you to install a small plug-in. Install the plug-in. Google Earth will then appear with all the labeled markers."

Since Google has removed that plug-in, I recommend that the above text be deleted. Note that Gmap4 no longer has a choice for "Earth" under the basemap button.

Joseph

11. Likes Slot Machine, Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Glad to see the canyon map is still going strong. I am the developer of Gmap4 which is an enhanced Google map viewer that is displaying the map.

I noticed on the first page of the thread it says:
    "Click on the 't1 Terrain' tab in the upper right hand corner, scroll down to 'Earth' and click that. There will be a prompt that asks you to install a small plug-in. Install the plug-in. Google Earth will then appear with all the labeled markers."

Since Google has removed that plug-in, I recommend that the above text be deleted. Note that Gmap4 no longer has a choice for "Earth" under the basemap button.

Joseph
    @Joseph ,

Thanks for the update. I will be sure to fix that.

Since you've stopped by, I've gotta give credit where credit is due- your software has added a lot to this project. Did you know that this thread has generated more traffic than any other thread in the canyoneering world (even the crappy forums where you have to click twice to see what you are looking for)? Part of the reason is that your software works great on desktops AND portable devices.

SO, THANK YOU FOR CREATING SUCH DAMN GOOD SOFTWARE! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

-Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

13. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Got an updated coordinate for the drop in on DDI. The head of the canyon is about 100' up canyon from my point, but there's nothing interesting except a hard to anchor drop that can't? be downclimbed. This coordinate is right on the tree that you rappel in at and since the route finding there is a little tricky this one is a little better than the one you have.

N37° 26' 21.8" W111° 03' 48.9"

15. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Got an updated coordinate for the drop in on DDI. The head of the canyon is about 100' up canyon from my point, but there's nothing interesting except a hard to anchor drop that can't? be downclimbed. This coordinate is right on the tree that you rappel in at and since the route finding there is a little tricky this one is a little better than the one you have.

N37° 26' 21.8" W111° 03' 48.9"
    Thanks Tom, I'll update that on the next version. Plus I'll add BFS. Plus I'll change Scorpion West to SOS.

What does a guy have to do to get an SOS trip report around here??

17. Likes TommyBoy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    What does a guy have to do to get an SOS trip report around here??
    Aaron wants to do the write up on SOS and since I was invited along on their trip I thought it would be polite to wait.

19. Likes Sombeech, ratagonia, Slot Machine, jman liked this post
    VERSION 16.3 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE

What's new?

Lion
    Tiger
    Lynx
    Ocelot
    Sabertooth
    Bobcat
    Leopard
    Cheetah
    Porcupine

I've also added some canyons to Ouray and fixed some canyons around Escalante. Enjoy!

21. Likes scottensign, Iceaxe liked this post
    Several of these canyons have already been published with the original names, Prior to your trip. Perhaps you should update the map to reflect those names.

Upper West slots

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...F&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Several of these canyons have already been published with the original names, Prior to your trip. Perhaps you should update the map to reflect those names.
    Nah.

24. Likes Iceaxe liked this post

Super Amazing Map and Ropewiki

I am happy to see that the new Super Amazing Map now includes some of the canyons I opened myself and published on Ropewiki.com: Mist Falls, Tanner Creek, Whakeena Creek, etc.

When Ropewiki gets a location from Super Amazing Map it always provides credit to SAM (see http://ropewiki.com/Lynx for example). It would be nice to see SAM reciprocate and give crediit for the locations it gets out of Ropewiki.com, if at all possible. Especially since for some canyons, like Tanner, it's critical to have information on what is a reasonable flow and where the traverse is or you may die trying to run it.

It would be even better if some day we could join efforts... SAM and Ropewiki. Ropewiki is a collaborative platform based on Wikipedia software where anyone can contribute as equals and information gets published immediately. There are great contributors from Arizona, Colorado, California, Oregon and Washington publishing new canyons every month. I wish we had some super contributor from Utah too.

26. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Nah.

Why not?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by lucach View Post
    I am happy to see that the new Super Amazing Map now includes some of the canyons I opened myself and published on Ropewiki.com: Mist Falls, Tanner Creek, Whakeena Creek, etc.
    I’m happy that you are happy, @lucach . I’m very impressed at what you have done with Ropewiki. When we discussed the site a few years ago, I was certain that the complexity of the site would doom it to failure (you can’t have everything on one site, right??). Man, was I wrong! It is turning out to be a fabulous creation and it seems to get better every time I stop by.

When Ropewiki gets a location from Super Amazing Map it always provides credit to SAM (see http://ropewiki.com/Lynx for example). It would be nice to see SAM reciprocate and give credit for the locations it gets out of Ropewiki.com, if at all possible.
    I appreciate that you give me credit. I will do my best to give credit in my update summary in the future. On the map itself, I do not link the points to any beta source because those things would need to be updated, something I refuse to do. The Map is a simple tool designed for one purpose– to get a general idea of which canyons are in each area.

Especially since for some canyons, like Tanner, it's critical to have information on what is a reasonable flow and where the traverse is or you may die trying to run it.
    Agreed. But that is what Google is for, not what my map is for.

It would be even better if some day we could join efforts... SAM and Ropewiki. Ropewiki is a collaborative platform based on Wikipedia software where anyone can contribute as equals and information gets published immediately.
    I don’t really want to delve too deep into the beta publishing side of canyoneering. However, I will swing by from time to time and pitch in. There are a couple of very good beta writers in Utah, I’m just not one of them.

Again, congratulations on the success of Ropewiki. I’m looking forward to your future creations.

Bob

29. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Nah.

You seem awfully threatened by someone stealing your thunder. You didn't explore or publish them first.

Be careful Bob, your character is showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post

Upper West slots

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...F&share_type=t

If I'm following the naming of the West Canyons correctly and understanding the correct timelines of posting, the 'original' names were only published AFTER Bob outed the canyons under his publicly betaed names.

The post you reference is dated 4-10-2017. Bob posted a TR to these canyon on 4-18-2016. Or perhaps I missed something as I don't follow all the cayoneering forums that closely.

In my book the first to actually publicly explore and beta the canyon gets the honors of naming the canyon.

You don't get to have it both ways, you can keep the canyon secret and understand your contributions will probably get lost to history or you can publicly beta the canyon and bask in the accolade and shunning that goes with it. Pick your poison.

YMMV

32. Likes bhalvers2002 liked this post
    The canyons mentioned above were published before bobs most recent trip.

Others were fist published by bob last year and the original names came to light afterward.

I've guess I've agreed to disagree with bob on this subject but I can still ask politely for him to make a concession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please point me to the earlier public beta on the routes (before 2016) and I'll happily agree with you? If not, this is a reap what you sow type of deal.

FWIW - All the Powell Canyons were descended long before 'canyoneering' was a 'sport'. I once spent some time with one of the original survey crews for Lake Powell and they had some great canyoneering stories ( they just called it work). The entire shoreline of Lake Powell had to be surveyed before the damn could be built.

We're I'm going with this is one person's claim to fame holds little value if it's not documented.... or as my pappy always told me.... if it's not written down it didn't happen.