Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

[QUOTE=uintahiker;487651]Here's one to add to the map

Tent Rocks Slot Canyon 35

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very cool, nice work. I made a map similar to this back in like 2006 if it helps you out at all. It included links to online beta or page numbers for beta in the old Kelsey guide. It was posted in what was called the "Members only" section. It was a section created by the "UUTAH" guys (before they changed the site to BOGLEY) to encourage people to sign up and make usernames rather than browse the site as guests. Now it may be in the bigshot section? I don't know, it tells me I don't have permission to view it but maybe it will work for some of you. This should be the link, if it works for someone, feel free to attach the .kml file to this post:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5983

EDIT: I found the file on my hard drive, it includes both Canyons and hikes. It however gives away the location of some of the ruins and panels in the Members section of Climb-Utah.com. I remember Shane giving me permission to post it in the Members only section of the old UUTAH, but I'll hold off posting it here in case he is opposed to it. I can probably send it to you Slot Machine, it includes the locations of a bunch of canyons in the Pacific Northwest that would be nice to add to your map.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    Very cool, nice work. I made a map similar to this back in like 2006 if it helps you out at all. It included links to online beta or page numbers for beta in the old Kelsey guide. It was posted in what was called the "Members only" section. It was a section created by the "UUTAH" guys (before they changed the site to BOGLEY) to encourage people to sign up and make usernames rather than browse the site as guests. Now it may be in the bigshot section? I don't know, it tells me I don't have permission to view it but maybe it will work for some of you. This should be the link, if it works for someone, feel free to attach the .kml file to this post:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5983

EDIT: I found the file on my hard drive, it includes both Canyons and hikes. It however gives away the location of some of the ruins and panels in the Members section of Climb-Utah.com. I remember Shane giving me permission to post it in the Members only section of the old UUTAH, but I'll hold off posting it here in case he is opposed to it. I can probably send it to you Slot Machine, it includes the locations of a bunch of canyons in the Pacific Northwest that would be nice to add to your map.
    Yeah, it's in the Big Shot section. I forgot about your work for that one Eric. Great job on it! Maybe it's time for a merge.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks man, this is an awesome extra piece of candy you are providing me with, to prepare my upcoming holiday.
    Loaded in both Google earth, and as well on my mobile GPS.

Thanks !!!!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Yeah, it's in the Big Shot section. I forgot about your work for that one Eric. Great job on it! Maybe it's time for a merge.
    ELITESTS!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    ELITESTS!!!!
    Perhaps you should 'occupy' the BigShot section! Occupying IS the answer.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    ELITESTS!!!!
    I believe the word you're looking for is "elitists". (Nothing but love Tom; we all know that you wouldn't let that one go if one of us said it.)
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Many people are aware of Shaggy's map and it is really, really good. One way it is different from my map is that it contains a significant amount of info on canyon art and ruins.

While creating The Map, Shaggy's map was shared with me. I was informed about the reasoning behind keeping Shaggy's map in the member's only area. The concerned individual wanted to protect ruins and canyon art from vandals (understandable). Simply posting Shaggy's map on the internet would almost certainly increase the incidence of theft and vandalism at those locations.

My vision is to create a general map intended for canyoneers. No ruins, no landmarks, no specific beta, no arch bagging- just canyon locations.

I think leaving Shaggy's map in the members only area is a wise move.

Kind of like using a spell checker is a wise move.

Check out the top of this thread for the updated Super Amazing Map 3.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

interesting how protective some can be about information being posted on bogley.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    I believe the word you're looking for is "elitists". (Nothing but love Tom; we all know that you wouldn't let that one go if one of us said it.)
    Spelling wurds correctly is elitest blather!!!!

Map question-

Name:  xccgj12Jbt(1)..jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  387.4 KB

does anybody know anything about this area?

I read somewhere that the above canyons are called, Galucoma, Sinuitis and Earache? Help?

Also,

Name:  xccgj12Jbt..jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  410.6 KB

I believe this is Escalatte, I've seen several photos of it but am not certain that this is the location. Help?

Bob
    Last edited by Slot Machine; 02-14-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: had to replace an image
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

The canyons in the first picture you asked about are on Shane's site.

Very cool, nice work. I made a map similar to this back in like 2006 if it helps you out at all. It included links to online beta or page numbers for beta in the old Kelsey guide. It was posted in what was called the "Members only" section. It was a section created by the "UUTAH" guys (before they changed the site to BOGLEY) to encourage people to sign up and make usernames rather than browse the site as guests.
    I'll leave it up to Shaggy as to where he wants his map to reside. If he wants it moved to canyoneering I'll be happy to move it for him (just PM me). I've always considered what people want to share, and how and where they share it, to be a personal choice/dilemma.

More beta for the Dante's was published today. For those playing along at home, these are the confirmed names of each canyon:

Name:  4FCSbgT3y4(1)..jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  434.1 KB

Getting that question answered was a LOT of work. They will be included in Version 4.

The questions about map 1 above (warm springs) have also been answered and will be published with Version 4.

Thanks to everyone that is contributing to The Map.

Bob
    Last edited by Slot Machine; 02-14-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: info on warm springs added

Great map. If interested in adding canyons in the NW:
    http://www.canyoneeringnorthwest.com/index.html

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'll leave it up to Shaggy as to where he wants his map to reside. If he wants it moved to canyoneering I'll be happy to move it for him (just PM me). I've always considered what people want to share, and how and where they share it, to be a personal choice/dilemma.
    When I posted it I seem to remember it was decided to keep it in the members only section so it wouldn't be searchable in Google for anyone in the world to find, something like that. Unless something's changed I'm fine with it staying there.

What do you have to be a member of to get access to this "members only" data? Climb-Utah?

Quote Originally Posted by Audilard View Post
    What do you have to be a member of to get access to this "members only" data? Climb-Utah?
    I believe that's a bogley big shot section. They have a donation you can make to bogley and you get access to that stuff. I think it costs like $50 bucks or something.
    - Gavin

I think he's referring to the Bogley BigShots area. Like Iceaxe said, we'll move it out to the public if shaggy would like us to. Or like he said, he's got the files in his possession and he is free to post them up / embed the google map at any time.

A side note, Google Maps will only show a limited amount of waypoints at a time, I think it might be 100. That's why we had to use the Gmap4 on Bob's map, as it will show them all in the same shot.

Back in the old days the moderators created a "Members Only" section. I could be wrong, but if I remember right, they created it to encourage lurkers to actually make up usernames and log in when they browse the site rather than browse anonymously. All you had to have was a username and be logged in to access the members only section. Didn't have to pay anything. I posted a map similar to Slot Machines but it included links to climb-utah, or toms site, etc... to give beta on the waypoint. It included a bunch of ruins and rock art sites that I got from being a member of climb-utah.com. Before I posted my map, I emailed Shane and asked what he thought. I made the map for myself but was willing to share it with everyone but didn't want to give away locations of stuff that I only knew about because of being a member of his site. He replied that it was ok to post the map, but requested I put it in the memebers only section, since this section could not be accessed by search engine bots and the sensitive ruins and petroglyph info would be harder to access by the world outside of Bogley.

Later, the moderators came up with the bigshot idea, asking people to donate money to help cover the costs of the increasing internet traffic the site gets. In exchange you would get access to exclusive content in the bigshot sections. The old Members Only section apparently became part of the bigshot section and you now have to pay to have access to it, make sense? If you want a copy of the file, PM me and I'll send it to you, that way bogleyites still have access but it's not searchable with google and everyone is happy. Or become a bigshot and have access to it and other stuff.