Thread: Who here eloped somewhere awesome?

Who here eloped somewhere awesome?

We have a destination wedding planned for Jackson Hole in 5 months. Lots of things are already paid for but I can get refunds. 95% of my guests would have to fly in.

My dad was given a few months to live. His cancer is spreading, showing up in new places that weren't there a few months ago, and the doctors cannot do any more chemo or surgeries.

I just don't think I can handle him dying and a wedding anywhere near each other. I don't think my mom and sisters could either. We are all kind of a mess already. I'm going to have to fly home a few times to see him as often as I can afford, plus for a funeral.

My sisters were very concerned about how it would all happen - attending my wedding, dealing with a death, trying to be happy when they won't be, and for my mom it was the furthest from her mind and she was thinking she wasn't going to fly out anyway.

The time frame he was given is less than 5 months. Sure doctors aren't always right but I cannot fathom putting on a wedding while dealing with grief.

My fiance and I are telling people that we're probably going to cancel. So far there has been MUCH relief. Although they are sad for us, people have been saying it sounds like the most logical thing to do. It is sad to give up all this planning, but I am not devastated about it or anything. Just kind of a bummer, and I think I will thank myself in the near future.

So our backup plan is to go elope somewhere kick ass and make it our honeymoon. Not like spend the same we were going to spend on this wedding, but maybe $5k? Got ideas? Something where they take care of all the details and you just show up.

We're mountain people, but we're thinking of this fall perhaps. After some grieving and before Christmas is here so that would mean somewhere snowy?

This looked totally awesome minus the helicopter, but that's more than the JH wedding was going to cost! http://sweetoccasionbanff.com/packag...re.heliski.php

Hawaii seemd like an option for warm weather, but we've never been there and don't really consider ourselves beach people. However it was one of our first options.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Go to Thailand! Talk to @abirken she has been.

Also my thoughts are with your family. I can't imagine....
    Chere'

I went to Jamaica, it was nice. Plenty of time to scuba, snorkel, windsurf, sail, volleyball, swim, etc. Sandals resort has an all inclusive package including airfare for 4k. That includes airfare, food, alcohol, activities, everything. I'm not much of a beach person but I had a blast. My parents went on an Alaskan cruise to see the glaciers, they said it was amazing. But I can't speak from first hand, i only saw pictures of that.

Check your PM's.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I would go to Chile and check out the Andes mountains. That's on my list of dream vacations.

Hang in there, Shan.

"Always look at the bright side of life"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Oh Wait I have another one! How about Patagonia!! Saw a documentary on that not to long ago and it is now on my long long list of places to visit.
    Chere'

They are all looking good. That Chile photo did make my jaw drop.

I have a friend that just went to Patagonia, I could get some info from her.

I'm hauling my dress in wherever this is taking place.

Waimea Canyon on the island of Kauai. Awesome view for a gorgeous back drop and great hikes for the following days. You can drive for the ceremony or do a short hike to a secluded place. (thinking of the dress here)

I must say though that the Chili Mountain photo is spectacular.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    the island of Kauai.
    +1

Kauai has awesome hiking, kayaking to waterfalls, beaches and serenity.

Bora Bora , Tahitian weddings are awesome and there are mountains there as well