Thread: Arizona Canyoneering Trip Suggestions?

Arizona Canyoneering Trip Suggestions?

Hi Everyone,

My friends and I our in the midst of planning our annual spring canyoneering trip for the end of April. Last year we had an amazing time in escalante (choprock, neon, headless hen, raven) and this year we are thinking of trying somewhere new, so Arizona it is! We have the Todd Martin book but I wanted to see what you guys thought would make the best trip.

We have a week to do as many canyons as we can, hopefully within close range of each other, preferably wet, and maybe on the spicy side. For those of you with AZ canyon experience what are some of your favorites? What would be your ideal trip?

Also, how are the conditions in April? Any canyons we should make a point to avoid due to spring run-off?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing everyone's response.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lower waterholes canyon all the way through is a great trip with a little diversity involved.

Great canyon several raps and an option of either 1-BIG 300' rap at the end ( be careful of the rope eating crack) or several 80-100 footers to bottom out. This optional route is hard to find in any books and in person, but send me a PM if interested, I'll let you know how to locate the bolts.

Requires some type of float back to Lees Ferry on the Co river ( I shuttled kayak's) then about a 30 minute car shuttle back to the trail head. I hear you can hike it once you get across the river but that seems like a long hike and no guarantees. I haven't done it myself.

It's near Page, AZ so it has some elevation but not far from additional canyons in SE Utah. Its about 2 hours N of Flagstaff. You will need a Navajo permit prior to decent. Really easy to get you just need to be there on time. It's a full day in winter you should be fine in April.

I'm not sure of flows that time if year. I believe the canyon is normally dry with the occasional half filled pothole. Wet suits shouldn't be necessary. Flows shouldn't be an issue.

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0902wa/index.htm

http://www.bluugnome.com/canyoneer_t...nd-canyon.aspx.

( alt route around the 300'r)

One of my favorites!

The Jug of Salome Creek is a must do, and there should be some good flow thru there in April. Parker Creek is near the Jug and the two canyons can be done in the same day by fast groups. The canyons in the Matazals should be pretty good during April with some flow. The canyons that feed into West Clear Creek are awesome, but they might be a bit too cold in April without thick wetsuits or dry suits. The canyons in the Superstition Wilderness, Sierra, Headdress, Hose, are all in volcanic rock and are fun and a change from the sandstone and quartzite canyons elsewhere.

Thanks BShelton and MrAdam for the replies so far. I will look into those for sure.
    BShelton, do you think that canyon is worth purchasing a 300' rope? We could stage it, I don't think I would want everyone in the group to have to pass a knot. I think the only other time it would get used would be in heaps.... Which is definitely on the list.

Oh, and we also do have thick wetsuits, so water temp is not an issue.

Keep em coming!

You can easily do the alternate route with two 60 meter ropes or a 60 and a pull cord. Purchasing a 300' vs passing a knot is a personal option, but myself, I'm not a fan of passing knots unless I have to especially 150' off the ground. I haven't used it but i also understand there is a mid wall rap station. I actually enjoyed the alternate route myself, it has several nice raps and you have to do a little searching to find the bolts. It presented the perfect challenge with my group.

AZ has several canyon opportunities, all pretty in their own way. The Jug is nice but not very challenging, you will get wet and an easy approach and loop hike out. Definitely a must do at some point but not one that I would frequent personally. From what I understand it gets pretty popular when the temps warm up.

Second Salome Jug being pretty neat.

Very limited canyon experience in AZ (one trip for a few days is all). That said, did Cibeque twice and was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    The Jug is nice but not very challenging, you will get wet and an easy approach and loop hike out. Definitely a must do at some point but not one that I would frequent personally. From what I understand it gets pretty popular when the temps warm up.
    Higher flows in April should make the Jug slightly more challenging/fun and should deter most of the hiking crowds who jump the drop. It definitley gets crowded come May if you dont get an early start, after finishing the canyon in last year, there was 15-20 cars parked at the trailhead.

While The Jug maybe short and low on technical challenges, it makes up for it with the waterslides and scenery, IMO. I was also given the idea to do it at night with glow sticks recently...... PM me if anyone is interested!

X2 for Salome and Cibecue!

April is the perfect time to do the Jug. Big water flow makes it quite a bit more interesting. Plus, it is easy and short enough to do two laps if interested. It may be puppy kitty for some folks, but I never get tired of that place.

I am going to tag team this thread. Anything good by Gilbert/Phoenix area? I may be there in April as well. Probably needs to be somewhat on the easy side as I will have my family (youngest is 9).
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I am going to tag team this thread. Anything good by Gilbert/Phoenix area? I may be there in April as well. Probably needs to be somewhat on the easy side as I will have my family (youngest is 9).
    The closest canyons to Gilbert would be in the Superstition Wilderness. Apache Trail Canyon is one of my favorites, there is a short technical section which can be bypassed with a downclimb or bring an 80' rope and be ready to get wet to do the narrows. The rest of the canyon is scrambling over, under and thru house and car sized boulders with a couple downclimbs mixed in. The exit is all off trail, on slightly loose rock and thru some nasty AZ brush, but not too bad if your kids are experienced hikers.
    http://toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Ar...rstition21.htm

Upper Fish Creek Canyon should be pretty amazing in April with the snowmelt. No technical portions, but lots of flowing water thru some of the biggest boulders I have ever seen. Lots of waterfalls, grottos and interesting geology can be found with some scrambling and exploring. I took my 10 year old nephew thru Fish Creek and he did great and loved it.
    http://toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Ar...erstition2.htm

Fish Creek
    Name:  20..jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  92.6 KB

Fish Creek
    Name:  17..jpg
Views: 3273
Size:  107.2 KB

Fish Creek
    Name:  8..jpg
Views: 1926
Size:  111.8 KB

Thanks! Both look like a bunch of fun. I will look into these two suggestions.
    Life is Good

Thanks for the responses. I will look definitely look into the Jug. We love water slides (and cliff jumping) so if there are any other suggestions with that mind I'd love to hear them!

Kelsey lists four canyons in Arizona as being tied for his favorite canyon in the first edition of his book. Kaibito Creek, Pi

[QUOTE=bladerider;487815]Kelsey lists four canyons in Arizona as being tied for his favorite canyon in the first edition of his book. Kaibito Creek, Pi

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    the canyons are closed indefinitely to the general public by the kaibeto chapter of the navajo nation. however, through the right channels with the chapter it might be possible to do the canyons with their permission.
    Thank you Stefan. Does anyone know what those channels may be?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerider View Post
    Thank you Stefan. Does anyone know what those channels may be?
    if you have to ask then you can't go. probably takes a life long friendship. plenty of other good legal ones out there to do first.