Thread: Anybody drive a Fiesta, Rio, Accent, or other high-mileage subcompact?

Anybody drive a Fiesta, Rio, Accent, or other high-mileage subcompact?

I'm interested in buying a small, gas-sipping car as a daily driver vehicle. I'll still have the Funmobile as pictured in my avatar for other needs such as getting out in the boonies.

I don't want something as tiny as the Scion IQ, and electric/hybrids are out of my budget. The Ford Fiesta, Kia Rio, and Hyundai Accent are in the running.

Does anybody here actually drive any of those three, or something similar? If so, have you measured the mileage you're actually getting? And what is your general impression of the vehicle?

So far I've found people on web forums saying they're definitely getting at least the advertised mileage from the Fiesta. I haven't done as much research yet on the others. This thread is part of my research! So please chime in if you have any relevant experience.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    You could look into the Honda fit. Tiny car, 4 door, great gas mileage (40mph) and sporty enough for a woman! Even brand new, this is car is a steal for a point a to b work car.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    You could look into the Honda fit. Tiny car, 4 door, great gas mileage (40mph) and sporty enough for a woman! Even brand new, this is car is a steal for a point a to b work car.
    I looked at the Honda site, and they're only claiming 33 MPG on the highway for the Fit, while a Civic sedan is shown at 39 MPG. On the plus side, the base Fit is relatively nicely equipped compared to the Fiesta.

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/b...delID=FB2F2CEW

Ok don't laugh but check out the Volkswagon Jetta TDI turbo diesel. I know it doesn't look like it but it gets 44mpg and this thing seriously hauls ass. I've never driven anything like it. It is hella fast and handles amazing. Plus it isn't small and has loads of space/storage. Kinda looks like a volvo, mom wagon though, I dunno I like the look but not a lot of people do, personal choice I guess. And it gets probably better gas mileage than those POS Fords you are looking at. You didn't mention a price range but these come nicely equipped at 26k if you get a 2011ish. It's way cheaper than any electric vehicle out there IMO.

Name:  images..jpg
Views: 247
Size:  8.9 KB
    Name:  images..jpg
Views: 252
Size:  10.1 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

VW diesel's get in my book.

Nice car, but a bit over my budget! They need to bring back those old diesel Rabbits...they weren't much to look at but they were great commuter cars!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace66 View Post
    Nice car, but a bit over my budget! They need to bring back those old diesel Rabbits...they weren't much to look at but they were great commuter cars!
    True. They are a bit spendy, but cool.

The Hyundai Elantra is larger and better appointed than the Accent - and gets the same 40 mpg. If you throw in the current price of diesel this is still more economical than the VW (at today's rates it is just more than 1 cent per mile). And it won some awards for it's class this year - meaning somebody, somewhere, considering themselves some sort of experts, liked something about it!

I have no experience with the cars you've listed, but I can tell you about my car!

My 1998 Saturn SL gets 32 miles in the city and 43 miles on the highway. I paid $2,000 for it. I have 3 full years worth of expense data related to this car. Between gas, insurance, repairs, registration, tires, etc, this is how much it cost each year to own the car not including the purchase price. I have been happy with it. It has some quirks though.

2009 = $2098
    2010 = $1116
    2011 = $2061

Yep I have all this in my spreadsheet of life!

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    I have no experience with the cars you've listed, but I can tell you about my car!

My 1998 Saturn SL gets 32 miles in the city and 43 miles on the highway. I paid $2,000 for it.
    Believe me, my first choice would be to have my little Saturn sedan back! My second choice would be to buy a new Saturn sedan. I remember getting that kind of mileage, and from a car that didn't cost an arm and a leg to purchase or operate.