Thread: Pine Creek

Pine Creek

Did a nice little trip through Pine Creek yesterday with a friend, first time through for both of us (first winter canyon as well). We decided on drysuits despite the nice weather, and we ended up very happy with that choice as there were several swims. There was really only snow/ice up until the first rappel but didn't really require crampons. There was ice at almost every pothole, though not quite thick enough to hold us up--so we spent a fair amount of time swimming in the water and acting as human icebreakers. It took us just under 5 hours including lunch, but we really took our time. All-in-all conditions were great and our only disappointment was to not encounter the Bighorn carcas (maybe we swam right over it?). Oh, and I will never do another wet canyon in the winter without neoprene gloves!
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice!

I have made the same mistake of not wearing neo gloves in pinecreek mid winter

Sweet report! I still haven't gotten to Pine Creek at all! It's on my list for this summer, though.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Sweet report! I still haven't gotten to Pine Creek at all! It's on my list for this summer, though.
    Why wait

Blog Entries
    hey, looks like a great trip! and thanks for the update on candition too!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome. Good on ya getting out in challenging conditions.

The neoprene gloves work great when swimming, but are generally not safe for rappelling. When I use them, I find myself in the odd position of taking them off for the actual rappels and going bare-handed, then putting them back on immediately upon landing. (Or, at least, the right glove). It helps if the gloves are large enough to go on and off fairly quickly, even when your hands are wet.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    Why wait
    Good question! I have always had a higher than normal cold resistance. Probably more because a lot of my friends are wimp-faces when it comes to that...
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Good question! I have always had a higher than normal cold resistance. Probably more because a lot of my friends are wimp-faces when it comes to that...
    I resemble that remark! But as I recall in our recent conversations, who was more gung ho about possibly hitting water?
    - Gavin

Tks for the report. Looks like you had a great time.

Nice TR guy! Bonus points for hitting it up this time of year. I really feel bad for the dude without neoprene in that 5th pic....
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Well done!
    Life is Good