Thread: Elk Hunt

Elk Hunt

I've never really been a hunter. Mostly because I just don't like the taste of venison. When I hear the word "hunt", I usually think of the deer hunt and remain somewhat disinterested. This all changed for me a couple of weeks ago. Now, I can't wait to go hunting... for elk.

When I'm at work, it's kind of like a firehouse mentality. We each usually take a turn at cooking and most of us are pretty keen to show the others something new. Somehow a conversation was raised about game meat and I expressed that I didn't like the taste of venison. "How about elk?" one of my coworkers asked. Well, it's been years since I've eaten any but I do remember liking it. The conversation went on and eventually turned to something else and all was forgotten about. That is until the next time I was working with the inquisitive fellow and it was his turn to cook. "What's for dinner Tim?" I asked. "Elk steaks" was the answer. "Reeeaally?"

I was deep into the Paleo diet at the time and wasn't able to indulge in the huge slices of garlic bread or the mashed potatoes with sour cream in them that he had but none of that mattered when I took the first bite of the steak. "Holy shit!" I yelled out followed by a startled "what?!" from the others. "I think this is the best steak I've ever had". "Yeah, it's pretty good, huh?". Pretty good? No, this stuff was awesome. Now I'm hooked and am really looking forward to elk season.

The problem is, like I said before, I'm not really a hunter. I usually get pretty obsessive about what ever subject I suddenly decide to pursue. It seems like there's always something new that I'm after and until now, I've been too consumed with the details of other things. Now, it's elk and what better place could the information adventure start than Bogley?

I come to you as I've done before and ask for any advice that you may have to offer in addition to the following questions.

• Is there a lottery for the elk hunt?
    • Do you put in and draw for certain areas?
    • What type of rifle is best?
    • Is it very easy or even possible to get a cow tag?
    • What kind of success rate might I expect in Utah?
    • Do I need a four wheeler?

Thanks in advance.

-Beau
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are cow elk hunts in Utah, and you do have to put in and draw for them. If there are any tags "left over" you have the chance to buy them over the counter, but there are seldom any good tags left over. The bull tags are sold over the counter, except for draw units. If you are just in it for the meat, like I am, then I would suggest the cow hunts. Most hunt areas for bull are "spike only". A healthy cow is larger than a spike and the meat taste as good or better. I don't know the numbers for success, not very high though I'm sure. I use an ATV to hunt, and it works good, but not necessary. A horse would probably be best, if you have that option. As for which rifle to use, that's kind of a touchy subject, you'll probably get a lot of opinions as to the "best" one. I use a 30-06 and it works well. I would also say that is the minimum. 300 win mag or 300WSM would also be good choices. Be prepared though, if you do get one down in field, they are HEAVY. You'll either have to quarter it on the spot, shoot it on the road(best method ), or spend a lot of time, with lots of help, dragging it out.

Utah is divided into different hunting areas which include spike only areas and "any bull" units. Most of the area around Utah County is spike only. The closest any bull unit is east of Kamas. Those tags are available over the counter or online, provided, of course, that you have taken hunters safety and usually go on sale mid June. There are a limited number of each, but normally don't sell out until right before the hunt begins. The only lottery/draw tags for elk are for areas called limited entry (trophy), which is basically the spike only areas. The application period for the limited entry hunts begins soon, so if you are interested, you may want to buy a hunting licence now to make sure that there are no hiccups when the application period begins. The hunts are also divided up with archery, muzzle-loader, and rifle.

If you ask 10 people which rifle is best, you'll likely get 10 different answers. Personally, I have a Winchester 338 Win Mag and love it. Most people hunt elk with something between a 270 Win and 338 Rem Ultra Mag. Of course, there are some that swear by their 25-06 or 375 H&H Mag which are fine in the hands of an experienced shooter. The 30 cal cartridges are by far the most popular and Kokopelli's suggestions are spot on. If you don't have to have a new one, there are lots of really nice rifles on KSL.

Cow tags go on sale later in the year, check the DWR's website for dates. There is a antlerless/cow unit that includes Hobble Creek and Maple Mountain and Diamond Fork, and another in the area east of me in Salem. Very good units, if it snows. Hunters have had a heck of a time this year with no snow. Last year there was a herd on the face of Buckley that was very easy to access and the terrain so steep that the elk would slide easily to the bottom. Haven't seen any so far this year.

An ATV is unnecessary IMHO. I own 2 of them and don't really use them much during the hunt. I prefer to hike back in somewhere than road hunt. I'm sure there are a lot of people that wouldn't agree with me though. It might be a good idea to make arrangements with some of your buddies beforehand to help you pack the meat out should you get lucky enough to get one.

Good luck.

Forget the rifle, real elk hunters use a bow.
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

I am also getting into hunting. No hunters really in the family, but lot's of firearms enthusiasts. Met a guy at work that is going to teach me. Found lot;s of good info at the http://www.utahwildlife.net/forum/ forum. There is also a great podcast called "Hunt Cast" ran by a really cool, down to earth guy. He has one episode called "Deer Hunting 101" you might find interesting, where he combines lot's of good info an interviews from his shows over the years. Although you said you are interested in elk, there is lot's of good info in this episode about hunting.

I am looking at getting a Savage 110 rifle, not sure on caliber yet. They are great guns for the money from what I hear.

Good luck and keep us informed on your journey.

To this day the best meet I ever had was an elk tenderloin wrapped in bacon up in Canada. It was amazing and I would easily pay $100 for another one.
    Let's Roll

Savage is a great gun, I own a heavy barrel model 10 law enforcement .308 the trigger is one of thr best in industry. However I also own a Tikka .270 wsm just bought it this year. I have to say the Tikka for the price is my choice, if your talking for an all around big game rifle. The Tikka is so light, I shot a deer this year with it freehand no rest what so ever, it is the smoothest action next to it's elder brother the Sako. For 500.00 it is a steal. Just saying I own and love both.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Correction; I bought the tikka last fall, still used to 2011 I guess.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Savage adjustable accu-trigger is in my opinion is the best for the money. I have spent a lot of money on custom triggers and having triggers worked on. The accu-trigger is exclusive to savage at a very good price. I am picky about accuracy which has a lot to do with having a good trigger pull.

I like the accu-trigger, but given the choice, I'd rather have a CZ 550. Their single stage trigger is quite impressive. Also, given the option, I'd go for the Cow tag too. They generally taste better. As for calibers, pick one with sufficient oomph and that you can hit your target with. As everybody else can, and probably has at some point, attest to, shot placement is more important than the size/speed of your bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett View Post

• Is there a lottery for the elk hunt? Yes for trophey bulls and most anterless tags are by drawing
    • Do you put in and draw for certain areas? Yes, Other than the Spike tags that are state wide, Most tags are issued for a unit
    • What type of rifle is best? See above in other post. Opinions vary. But the popular 270, 30-06 and 300 magnums work fine
    • Is it very easy or even possible to get a cow tag? Very possible. I usually get on every other year.
    • What kind of success rate might I expect in Utah? Open Bull and Spike hunts are about 11% success. Trophey hunts are usually higher.
    • Do I need a four wheeler? No, But be prepared for a work out if you harvest one, Know how to bone out the meat and pack it.

Thanks in advance.

-Beau
    Elk hunting is a great sport. If you are lucky enough to ever draw a Limited Hunt in September for a trophy bull elk. The experience of having a bull charge in to a call or bugle and get really close is addicting.