Thread: Sterling ATS rappel device

Sterling ATS rappel device

Does anyone have experience/comments re: Sterling ATS? Just getting into canyoneering and am getting quite varied opinions for pros/cons of BD ATC, Petzl Pirana, etc. for rappeling. Some seem to love the Pirana, others say it twists the rope too much. How do they all compare to the Sterling device?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    you'll get varied opinions with it and other devices. doesn't matter what others think it maters what you think

Its very good IMO. The piranna is my fav but it's a decent 2nd. Well I guess 3rd behind my STOP, but that only does single strand so maybe doesn't count. Has a nice bend to it, although subtle makes a huge difference depending on which you side you rap off it. Comes with a lot of friction settings and places you can adjust to get a comfortable smooth ride. Also very nice if you want to ascend and have it lock you off. My only complaint is some sections are pretty thin metal, so it tends to wear out pretty quick. In fact it wont last as long at a piranna or ATC. So I would vote

1. piranna
    2. Petzyl STOP
    3. Sterling ATS
    4. Figure 8
    5. ATC

Don't own any others. So can't comment on them.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

If you are a big guy it is the bomb. There is a lot more friction available then a pirana.

Thanks for the comments and video, think I'll try it out.

Question on the video. When he attaches his auto block seems like it would be tough if not impossible to now use the hooks for additional friction?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Question on the video. When he attaches his auto block seems like it would be tough if not impossible to now use the hooks for additional friction?
    Using both hands, it would be easy enough to slip a little extra slack through the auto-block to let you wrap the horns. Might be awkward - especially, say, on a free-hanging rappel - but it could be done. Tougher, but I'd say it wouldn't be impossible - the auto-block won't lock that easily. C-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y though!

One vote for the Totem here....

Have both the Pirana and an ATS. I prefer the ATS. Tons of options and I like to rappel with either hand. Pirana seems set up for just one hand.

However...if all I ever did was non water flow Utah sandstone desert canyons....I'd still probably go with a BD ATC-XP. Just seem like they'd last longer in the sandy dirt that eats any device.

Name:  ats..jpg
Views: 4390
Size:  165.5 KB

ATS in action in Spain's Infern in the Costa Blanca...

I recently retired my piranha. Funny thing, I left it always on a Petzl Attache biner. After canyoneering this Fall, I combed through my gear looking for damage to my rope and other signs of gear wear. I decided by piranha was 30% worn and had to go. What was interesting was the wear also present on the Petzl attache biner that it sat on. Due to the rope bend, the area of maximum wear on the biner is basically hidden by the piranha. That was also worn, actually more so than the piranha itself. No harm, no foul. My message is inspect your gear!

I have bought a nice new shiny black ATS. I have raped on it a few times. I think it is going to be nice for the big raps. It does look thin so I plan to keep an eye on it.

Ken

I don't know how I missed this thread before, but I think the ATS is awesome! I weigh 250 pounds and it gives me plenty of friction, even on really long single strand rappels. I do, however, agree with Deathcricket in that it does seem to wear out pretty fast. For that reason, I'll generally just use my ATC-XP on shorter, double-strand rappels, because, as Brian said, it doesn't wear very much at all. I also recommend the ATC. The two friction settings are probably plenty for a smaller person, and even for bigger people they're great and fast for shorter raps. I enjoy the more options allowed on the ATS for the longer raps, though, when things start speeding up there toward the bottom I start getting a little uncomfortable...

Here's a picture of my ATS in action in The Squeeze:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    --Cliff

I love the ats, it's definitely my favorite device. I personally hate rapping on an atc, they are great for climbing belay but not for rappelling. Also the atc develops very sharp edges as it wears. The piranha seemed a little faster on rappel and seemed to me that it wore out faster because you can't change the rope path. The hydrobot is very fast getting on and off rope, but a little low on friction. The totem has a lot of cool options too but I prefer how the ats stays on the biner as well as the smaller size.

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    I have bought a nice new shiny black ATS. I have raped on it a few times.
    Ouch! Get a partner, sideshow Bob!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    I don't know how I missed this thread before, but I think the ATS is awesome! I weigh 250 pounds and it gives me plenty of friction, even on really long single strand rappels. I do, however, agree with Deathcricket in that it does seem to wear out pretty fast. For that reason, I'll generally just use my ATC-XP on shorter, double-strand rappels, because, as Brian said, it doesn't wear very much at all. I also recommend the ATC. The two friction settings are probably plenty for a smaller person, and even for bigger people they're great and fast for shorter raps. I enjoy the more options allowed on the ATS for the longer raps, though, when things start speeding up there toward the bottom I start getting a little uncomfortable...

Here's a picture of my ATS in action in The Squeeze:
    You're not showing much friction there, Cliff. You use it at that setting? Not a surprise then that it is fast at the bottom, since it is also fast at the top... I use the "2" setting there (not the "0" as shown) and I only weigh 190 lbs.

Tom

Like the ATS for rappels where variable friction is nice or if I'm first and want to lock off quick to fix the knotted rope. For everything else, ATC-XP. Wears down a lot slower than the ATS. Also Tom, I think Cliff often wraps the horn halfway down the rap. Usually seems to work for him... but he can speak for himself.
    - Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    You're not showing much friction there, Cliff. You use it at that setting? Not a surprise then that it is fast at the bottom, since it is also fast at the top... I use the "2" setting there (not the "0" as shown) and I only weigh 190 lbs.

Tom
    Yeah, I don't know the setting numbers, but that was when I first got it and didn't know how to use it as well. Now I generally start with the rope around the bottom left horn, with the convex side toward me. However, even without that, I found that on the higher friction mode (convex side to the rope) I had plenty of friction and never really felt like I was going too fast. But, maybe I just have an iron grip on my brake line and didn't realize it. I am pretty powerful.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Pretty easy actually. Just hold the device with the rope.. slide the autoblock down, and wrap the horns. Done it many a time.

I rather like the ATS. That said, I almost never take mine out with me. While I do like it there are devices I like more. I generally carry a Rock Exotica Totem for me. I like that I can easily clip in to either the "top" or "bottom", as well as several other features. (ATS would be my second choice for me). On my loaner harnesses I have Piranas, for simplicities sake for the noobs.

My canyoneering top 5 for me:

1. Totem
    2. ATS
    3. Pirana
    4. SBG-2
    5. Figure-8 (prefer a light rescue 8).

Top 3 for loaners/noobs:

1. Pirana
    2. SBG-2 (or other STURDY tube style device, like the ATC-XP, nothing thin-walled)
    3. Figure 8 ( I oh so wish I had some double 8s)