Thread: Hypocrisy??

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Hypocrisy??

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    "No, what I said was that the hypocrisy runs deep."

And on that--I wholeheartedly agree
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have.[1] Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.[1]

Hypocrisy is not simply failing to practice those virtues that one preaches. Samuel Johnson made this point when he wrote about the misuse of the charge of "hypocrisy" in Rambler No. 14:

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Johnson
    Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself.
    Thus, an alcoholic's advocating temperance, for example, would not be considered an act of hypocrisy as long as the alcoholic made no pretense of constant sobriety.
    Hypocrisy is in the mind of the beholder.

Seems like hypocrisy is an accusation usually leveled at persons, based on a very simplistic understanding of their claims.

For instance, I am anti-bolt. But place bolts for canyoneering in select places, especially in Zion. Hypocritical? Not exactly - a more nuanced version of my position would be:

1. I am anti-bolt.
    2. There are places where bolts are appropriate, for instance some places in Zion, and places where bolts have been well-established, and places where bolts are a preferred technology to prevent greater impacts.
    3. When bolts are placed, they should be placed well.
    4. I respect the right of everyone to place bolts as they see fit. I ask that you respect my right to remove bolts as I see fit.
    5. Generally one should respect the rules of the land manager.
    6. While I have an opinion on when bolts are appropriate outside of Utah, I am a visitor outside of Utah and do not think my opinion should carry much weight. In Utah, I consider myself a local in most locales.
    etc.

As an example - where you see hypocracy, I see nuance.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    When is an agreement not an agreement? When pictures and beta are given publicly to the community with the goal of bullying, flaunting, taunting, and/or manipulating, it breaks the agreement.
    Half of the ‘A team’ unique to the Dante’s has broken the agreement. It is null and void. I no longer feel bound by an honorable agreement. I will not stand by and be part of bullying, deceit, and manipulation. It is against the moral standards by which I guide my entire life, not just the recreational sport of canyoneering.
    I wonder how the other ‘hundreds’ are feeling, having bargained in good faith.
    Penny

That's perfectly describes hypocrisy!!!

bullying, deceit, manipulation?? Speaks highly of "your" team....