Thread: Pine Creek Conditions

Pine Creek Conditions

Anyone know specific conditions of Pine Creek, or general conditions in Zion?

A buddy and I are planning on it this weekend but have never done Pine Creek nor winter canyon swims. All I can find on previous posts suggests it will be very cold, but not sure of current water depths etc. (I'll have a drysuit and he'll grab a thick wetsuit at ZAC--good idea or dry a must?).

Any current info or past experience doing Pine Creek in the winter is appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burley View Post
    Anyone know specific conditions of Pine Creek, or general conditions in Zion?

A buddy and I are planning on it this weekend but have never done Pine Creek nor winter canyon swims. All I can find on previous posts suggests it will be very cold, but not sure of current water depths etc. (I'll have a drysuit and he'll grab a thick wetsuit at ZAC--good idea or dry a must?).

Any current info or past experience doing Pine Creek in the winter is appreciated!
    Haven't been IN, but drove past today. There is snow in Zion in all but south-facing aspects, and the cold has maintained, so I think there is minimal flow, but might be a trickle. If it warms up, that could change quickly. Lots of snow on the rocks in the creekbed, and below the raps might be agonizingly slow.

When I have done it in winter (2X), and I suspect conditions similar to this March trip: http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0703zion/index.htm

With the extended dry period, it might have dried out. With the bit of snow and rain, it might have filled up again...

Was that helpful?

Tom

I've been down in the winter a couple times. Our groups have always had wetsuits and been fine, I think the wet hands were the only painfully cold part. As long as you keep moving you should stay warm enough.

Thanks for the info. I'd have to agree the cold hands were the only painful part. Trip report forthcoming...