Thread: Running Stretches

Running Stretches

Just curious as to others' stretching routine. I usually stretch quads, hams, and calves for 30 sec each before and 1 min each after the run. Sometimes if I'm feeling ambitious I'll do a butterfly groin stretch and a cross-legged gluteus stretch.

Any pointers on type, duration, order of stretches? What about when it's cold and you don't want to stand outside your car stretching? Is it okay to do your stretches at home in the warm and then drive ten minutes to the trailhead? Most will be 3-7 mile trail runs with ~1000' elevation gain.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't believe in stretching before a run its all about a slow warmup, walk for a mile first then run, it is about the same amount of time I do all of my stretching post run as part of my cool-down.. I would change your cool down stretches to be at least 30 seconds on each stretch X2.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    I don't believe in stretching before a run its all about a slow warmup, walk for a mile first then run, it is about the same amount of time I do all of my stretching post run as part of my cool-down.. I would change your cool down stretches to be at least 30 seconds on each stretch X2.
    My sister is a personal trainer and said that stretching when you first start running for that day is like throwing cold water on a warm engine.

The most efficient way like DOSS said was a slow walk, she says.

Then when you are done exercising, stretching is vital to muscle strength and integrity.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    when I was competing at university I'd do about a mile light warm up with some dynamic stretching as part of the run. then an nearly complete static stretching routine of the body, then run, then stretch after the cool down.

lately I've been doing dynamic stretching to warm up the muscle and then static stretch only needed areas, lately that has been the calf.

What do you mean by dynamic vs. static stretching?
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

http://tinyurl.com/6wxdpze
    don't believe all that anti fad propaganda BS against static right now. both have beneficial aspects that are different from the other. I find that one compliments what the other lacks

Thanks. I prefer lmgtfy.com. :)

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    when I was competing at university I'd do about a mile light warm up with some dynamic stretching as part of the run. then an nearly complete static stretching routine of the body, then run, then stretch after the cool down.

lately I've been doing dynamic stretching to warm up the muscle and then static stretch only needed areas, lately that has been the calf.
    to expand on this if I was into serious competitive running, like a national championship prelims again, I would be doing a lot more stretching. right now i'm just running to get back in shape (lose that 15lbs from the holidays ), and building up for some long adventure run's on my bucket list. hence the light stretching, but maybe I should stretch some more my calfs are tight. YMMV

I agree with them! avoid stretching before running. There is a lot of research that suggests that stretching is unnecessary and can actually lead to more injury.

i used to do stretching once in every two week but i do it in my room with warm environment.. stretching outside in cold can cause muscle pull and other injuries