Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Canyon

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Do you need parking and river crossing, "beans"?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Drop in Here-ish bean
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

And DON"T follow Andy, bean

There--You know everything I know...
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

"And DON"T follow Andy, bean

There--You know everything I know..."

I second that!! Although, after three trips through, I've got it down pretty well now.

I've heard from a couple of sources (very recently) that the bolts/anchors in Cherry Canyon have been either pulled or beaten down to an unusable condition. Why, I don't know, but anyone planning on doing this canyon should verify anchor condition or have good anchor building skills and gear.

I've heard the same thing that the bolts are all gone, and not done very well either

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    And DON"T follow Andy, bean

There--You know everything I know...
    Thanks for the approach picture. Canyon looks pretty straight forward.

I have never seen an ACA rating posted for this canyon. What would people say is the rating? 3AIII?

I'd call it a 3AII. We did it in about 6 hours and that included hiking up the wrong drainage from the river!

And yep, most of the bolts have been pulled/chopped in the canyon, but most of them were not needed anyways.

None of the bolts were needed. People were doing this canyon just fine without them. As someone else stated in a different thread - some people just insist dumbing a canyon down to their skill level by bolting.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LVRAY View Post
    None of the bolts were needed. People were doing this canyon just fine without them. As someone else stated in a different thread - some people just insist dumbing a canyon down to their skill level by bolting.
    And it is hard to answer the question "Is this a good canyon for me to bring beginners to?".

Kinda like: if you have to ask, then the answer is NO!

It's a fairly straightforward canyon if you know what you are doing. But if you don't, then it would be very dangerous. (ie, pretty much the same statement can be made for most canyons)

Tom

as also stated in another thread. If you are "too smart" for the canyon and it has bolts then don't use them. I havnt seen them but was told whoever removed them did a terrible job and the canyons looks much worse now than when the bolts were there.

That doesn't address the issue as to why someone would bolt the canyon in the first place. If you don't have the skill set to do the canyon without bolting - go else where. There are plenty of canyons that are already bolted and are better suited for those who require them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    as also stated in another thread. If you are "too smart" for the canyon and it has bolts then don't use them. I havnt seen them but was told whoever removed them did a terrible job and the canyons looks much worse now than when the bolts were there.

That doesn't address the issue as to why someone would bolt the canyon in the first place. If you don't have the skill set to do the canyon without bolting - go else where. There are plenty of canyons that are already bolted and are better suited for those who require them.

It is kind of like any other form of vandalism or tagging. Elimination of the vandalism or tag right away has proven effective at diminishing the anti-social behaviour.

Tom

My bad on not relaying what I meant. If somebody vandalized a white wall with purple paint would the fix be to cross it out with black. If they are to be removed just do it right so that it doesn't look worse than when the bolts were there.

My bad on not relaying what I meant. If somebody vandalized a white wall with purple paint would the fix be to cross it out with black. If they are to be removed just do it right so that it doesn't look worse than when the bolts were there.
    I concur, Dr. Toyota!

Tom

I mentioned this on the facebook page where I posted the beta. We went in to pull the bolts, but didn't quite realize how ridiculous the studs were. We pulled and patched the first half of the canyon, and by halfway down all of our tools were broken. I'm trying to get back in soon to finish the job. I've been pretty busy with school stuff.

Anyway, sorry for the one unsightly half finished bolt. I'll get in there soon and get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rickinlo View Post
    I mentioned this on the facebook page where I posted the beta. We went in to pull the bolts, but didn't quite realize how ridiculous the studs were. We pulled and patched the first half of the canyon, and by halfway down all of our tools were broken. I'm trying to get back in soon to finish the job. I've been pretty busy with school stuff.

Anyway, sorry for the one unsightly half finished bolt. I'll get in there soon and get rid of it.
    Heck! Do you remember in the mid 60's when highway 91 was the access from St. George to LV and the west? If you feel that the bolts aren't needed then you sure as heck don't need I-15. Why not hike from Littlefield if you are the total environmental purist that wants things your way? Even before its opening, it was promoted as the most scenic highway in the state; a 1988 article in Arizona Highways said that the project "enhanced rather than distracted from Nature's handiwork". The Virgin River was rechanneled 12 times in what was the most expensive rural freeway in the country, at the price of approximately $10 million per mile ($49 million in 2007 dollars).[13][18]

20. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    If I could legally go about de-interstating the virgin river gorge I might give it a shot. It'd take a bit more time and equipment though. Also, the patching job would be kind of a nightmare.

Personally though, I'd start with the dams.

Quote Originally Posted by rickinlo View Post
    If I could legally go about de-interstating the virgin river gorge I might give it a shot. It'd take a bit more time and equipment though. Also, the patching job would be kind of a nightmare.

Personally though, I'd start with the dams.
    Bravo!