Thread: Backpacking Utah

Backpacking Utah

Hi. I live in CA, grew up in Vegas, and have never hiked in Northern Utah. So this summer I'm looking for a moderate to strenuous backpack trip near Salt Lake City. I'd like to spend 3-5 days, hike 10-30 miles, camp in a nice spot and take day trip hikes from there, see some nice scenery, with not many people. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Uintas for sure. They're high, remote, beautiful mountains about an hour east of Salt Lake City. Some of the other people on here will probably be able to recommend specific trails better than I can, but Naturalist Basin comes to mind. Or if you like peak bagging you could head out to Kings Peak, the hightest peak in Utah.

I second that. Hit it from dufes dude ranch up through Grandady basin-4 lake-rocky sea pass out to spirit lake lodge with many drops for your overnighters at the lakes for fresh pink meat brookies.

Take a look at Deep creek mtn range. A little closer to home and about right for setting a base camp in Granite canyon with some great history,views and wildlife in the area. It's on the Utah Nevada border and a bit remote but very beautiful. But as remote as it is and you may never see a soul out there it just is not the same as the High Uintahs. I think Haystack pk is the third largest in the state. Remote is the word here .
    No fishing but no people. Very wild.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into those spots. :)

Naturalist Basin in the Uintas is wonderful but quite heavily used. You won't be alone. But if you camp back in the meadows away from Jordan Lake you could feel alone. Lots of great places in the Uintas but I also like the suggestion of

One place I've heard rave reviews about in the Uintas is Red Castle. I've never been there, but plan on going soon. Again, you can't beat the Kings Peak trail from Henry's Fork. I'd do that one if you want to climb Utah's highest peak. There are some lakes along the trail (how many depends on your route), and a short distance away from the trail there are more.

Try it from on top very hard to find a route but beautiful. But mucho lightning in the afternoons so keep it in mind.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Quote Originally Posted by kvolk View Post
    Naturalist Basin in the Uintas is wonderful but quite heavily used. You won't be alone. But if you camp back in the meadows away from Jordan Lake you could feel alone. Lots of great places in the Uintas but I also like the suggestion of
    Suggestion of what??

Someone mentioned Red Castle, which is an excellent choice. I went up there a few years ago over labor day and ended up hiking out through 3 ft. Snowdrifts and 50 mph winds. It was a little rough but very fun.

I have been to Red Castle, it is a great choice. June, July and August are the best months to go up there, but it is not near SLC as mentioned in your post. You have to drive through part of Wyoming to get to it. I would instead suggest Granddaddy Basin or Squaw Basin. Granddaddy can be accessed by taking the Highline trail from Butterfly lake. You can stop off at Naturalist basin about 6 miles in and explore that amazing area, then head south east toward Granddaddy. You could spend several days exploring that area and then loop back to the Highline to get back.

Only downside is that it is not a very secluded area. If you really want some privacy, i would suggest going into Garfield Basin. I took a 3 day trip there and did not see another person until mile 21 on day two, and that after that no one else. I started at the Center Park trail head. I ended up coming back down the trail along Garfield Creek and exited at Swift Creek trail head where my group had left one of our cars.

TrekkerTrips