Thread: Escalante youth trip Coyote Gulch

Escalante youth trip Coyote Gulch

I am going on a youth trip as a leader at the end of July and we will spend a Wednesday - Saturday hiking the Coyote Gulch area. I am not sure of specifics yet, but the only real fear I have are the flies. I have read several reports that at certain times the biting flies ruined an otherwise great trip. I am also a little concerned about the heat.

Comments????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I have to be a smart-ass...I really can't help it.

July=hot! reminds me of the scene from dumb and dumber, "You've had those two pairs of gloves this entire time?!" "Well yeah...it is the Rockies." "Loyd...I'm going to kill you" "Harry...ahh..ugg..you're hands are freezing!" Same thing can apply to Utah and hotness. haha

J
    Bugs=tons of bugs, however, if you bring bug bed-nets or nets-just for your face as you hike - you'll be just fine (although might look a bit weird).

Otherwise it's a great trip! I'm jealous! That's a great hike!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

WOW, thats exactly why I am asking. I am worried about the heat as I dont buy that it wont be that hot in Southern Utah @ the end of July. Uggggggg.

Is there a perfect time to do this with a bunch of youth. Scorching heat and the need for a bug net just sounds like a good reason to stay home.....

May to June is a good time. I went there late May last year and it was perfect. I am too taking my varsity scouts down there in late June. We took them through the BMT, Death Hollow and Escalante late June last year and it was great as well. July is pushing it in my opinion.

So what would be the perfect time of year for this trip. Boys will be between 12 & 18 years old.

Why is there sooo little time in the summer to do things. Dang, the schedule fills up fast with stuff.....

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    march this year with not a lot of snow. most local schools have a short spring break around march

That's a 'just depends' answer. Anytime between that time is great. We only saw one youth group and only a few couples when we went. You can also go to spooky and peekaboo which is on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    So what would be the perfect time of year for this trip. Boys will be between 12 & 18 years old.

Why is there sooo little time in the summer to do things. Dang, the schedule fills up fast with stuff.....
    What school district? Washington County the last day is the 23 of May. If you are from Washco I would go the 23 of may (wed) and stay till the weekend or better yet through the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    So what would be the perfect time of year for this trip.
    PERFECT time for Coyote Gulch is October... Temps are cool, bugs are nonexistent, crowds are gone, and the leaves are changing... Sublime!

The best times are really in the spring or fall. Just depends on what kind of scenery your looking for. In the fall you will have the changing of colors, in the spring you will enjoy all the early flowers. But mid-summer would be miserably hot. The end of July is going to be very hot. If your going to go, brush up on how to treat an over heated individual. Learn about the ways to direct heat from the body to avoid loosing another kid to the heat like that scout trip in the grand canyon a few years ago. As for the biting flies, they are terrible. I've been on a few trips in which I've had to endure them. DEET works pretty well at repelling them, but you have to reapply often. Bring a big can of DEET! Good luck with all those kids! I will be hiking Coyote Gulch this year as well, however I'm going the first week of April.

Mountain Man
    I've gone through CG many times, spring, summer, and fall. At their worst the bugs are no big deal, and with repellent are nothing. My 3 trips in July and Aug were indeed hot, and the worst is trying to sleep in it. But with water in canyon, you can always soak some shirts and rags to sleep in and on. That works well.

Sent from my ICS'd Vibrant

Pop Quiz.

Can you drive a vehicle to Chimney Rock?

Just play along with me. But now we are planning to visit Chimney Rock on the way into Coyotee Gulch. We will leave from the trailhead for CG on Hole in the rock road. Make our way to Chimney rock, and then proceed to camp in the Gulch.

Would walking the road to Chimney Rock, if there is one, be a better option? I would think it would be. But then why would we not just drive to Chimney Rock?

We leave American Fork @ 7:00 AM. Wednesday morning.

I figure we will get to the trailhead @ 1:00 PM

I figure it will take 3-4 hours (3-4 miles) to get to Chimney Rock. 4:00 or 5:00 PM Is there a trail that makes this possible or will this be route finding??

Then hike to the gulch until we find a water source, prefrebaly Jacob Hamblin arch area. 4-5 hours (4-5 miles) 9:00 - 10:00 PM

I am really hopefully we dont kill someone and am trying to figure out the best way to not buy a $10,000 S&R heli ride out of the canyon.

So I figure we need to find a way to get lots of food and water to Chimney Rock as the boys are going to be well done by that point, and we will not be 1/2 way to camp yet.

I am also in charge of equipment for the group. Everyone will be responsible for their own gear, but I will need water filters, first aid, maps, GPS's etc. I know GPS will be real spotty in the canyon, but route finding while delierious sounds even tougher w/o a GPS........

I have done this type of thing before, but never with the potential for the heat I expect. Can you all throw out some advice. And yes, I know #1 is to pick another place, or another time, but it aint happening, we are going, and I am just hoping to do it w/o a major incident........

And yes, I am not at all looking forward to this......

20 boys (12-18 yrs old), 8 leaders, 7-25 to 7-27.

Thanks in advance. BIG THANKS!!!!!!

I would probably camp somewhere near the trailhead off hole in the rock and get an early start rather than hike during the hottest part of the day, or leave at like 3AM rather than 7...Ive done that before and it sucks but probably less than carrying a heavy pack in the dead heat of summer!

I am doing a hike this year where we are starting the boys at about 11:00 p.m. for two reasons. First, seems nutty enough to be fun and second, to avoid the heat of the day. Only extra gear needed is a head lamp -- depending on the phase of the moon that is. A full moon in the desert while night hiking is really cool.
    Life is Good

16. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    A suggestion that may help. Start early, early in the day, hang out and lunch and siesta during the hottest part of the day and hike in the late afternoon. This might help.
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

I am pleased to report that the certain tragedy of this trip did not pan out. The weather was freakishly cool and partly cloudy on the way in and out.

I'll do up a little TR later, but yes is was hot, but not soo hot that I ever really worried about putting any of the boys in danger. I'll take it!

Life is Good