Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Amazing Slots?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    People who share beta do so because of ego.

People who don't share beta do so because of ego.
    QFE

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

As per two different old canyons group discussions:

As per two different old canyons group discussions:

rereading post i am not sure where you start counting canyons.

Name:  Untitled..png
Views: 824
Size:  1.05 MB
    signature

Let's take a practical look into the future-

Inevitably, beta will be posted somewhere on the internet for every known
    canyon.

Fighting the expansion of canyoneering knowledge is futile. It is easy to
    empathize with some of the motives behind keeping some of this knowledge secret,
    but in the end those motives are irrelevant. Someone will eventually discover
    your favorite canyons and share that information with others.

If you don't want to share- no big deal. If you want me so stop asking questions
    and posting what I observe or discover... too bad. Bogley seems- or maybe
    seemed, like the ideal place to ask questions and share information.

I quickly realized today that any communications regarding this thread will be
    most productive if they remain public. I mean no disrespect to the people who
    have been trying to contact me. I'm simply not interested in having private
    conversations about beta.

Now back to my original questions:

To me it doesn't much matter what the names of the canyons are. I'll just call
    canyons #1-#6 by their number for now. I'm pretty sure my guesses are close to
    what they are normally called.

What are their canyon ratings?

Max rap lengths?

Any gnarly monster potholes?

Wetsuits required?

Is anybody interested in doing any of these mysterious canyons? That is, anybody
    that is capable but not angry?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    blank

[QUOTE=Iceaxe;485833]Pleaseeezzzz

Slot Machine is doing this the correct way.... he is digging out his maps and looking for potential. After he finds potential he is asking around to try and gather more information. I assume his next steps will be to take what he learns and explore the slots.... that is the same path taken by those who explored the slots before him. Just because someone was first gives them no special privilege.

And since Slot Machine has been doing his research in a calculated and methodical way I assume he will use the same approach to exploring the slots and go loaded for bear.

Now comes the dilemma for those who have beta on the routes
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Let's take a practical look into the future-

Inevitably, beta will be posted somewhere on the internet for every known canyon.

Fighting the expansion of canyoneering knowledge is futile. It is easy to empathize with some of the motives behind keeping some of this knowledge secret, but in the end those motives are irrelevant. Someone will eventually discover your favorite canyons and share that information with others.

If you don't want to share- no big deal. If you want me so stop asking questions and posting what I observe or discover... too bad. Bogley seems- or maybe seemed, like the ideal place to ask questions and share information.

I quickly realized today that any communications regarding this thread will be most productive if they remain public. I mean no disrespect to the people who have been trying to contact me. I'm simply not interested in having private conversations about beta.

Now back to my original questions:

To me it doesn't much matter what the names of the canyons are. I'll just call canyons #1-#6 by their number for now. I'm pretty sure my guesses are close to what they are normally called.

What are their canyon ratings?

Max rap lengths?

Any gnarly monster potholes?

Wetsuits required?

Is anybody interested in doing any of these mysterious canyons? That is, anybody that is capable but not angry?
    i do not remember much from dave's not dead, been quite a few years. i do remember sticking the rope at teh last rap, which is in 3 tiers i believe. like 150' total length ? do not remember anchor situation, no potholes at all when i went thru, nor water, but for a pool at bottom of final rap which i barely avoided slipping into.

Name:  daves not dead 00&.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  daves not dead r&#121.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  daves not dead r&#121.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  daves not dead 00&.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  73.7 KB
    signature

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    blank

Jason/Goof, I apologize if I misunderstand some of what & who you are referring to, but I felt I needed to chime in. I'm not looking to jump into the middle of this debate, but your last post refers to people for whom I must speak up. I had the pleasure of meeting & doing some canyons with some of the folks I believe you are referring to. I can tall you that all that I did was email & ask if they'd be willing to have me join them. I explained that I had done the canyon before to allay any legitimate concerns regarding me being over my head (it was Imlay). I was cheerfully invited, cheerfully greeted, and asked on one of those so-called "secret-handshake" canyons the next day. What was asked of me by them? Be a part of the team & have fun. That was it. They were open & welcoming, I experienced the opposite of what you described there with terms like "elitist". In addition, they have continued to be good friends who I feel fortunate to have met.

Regardless of what experiences you have had I felt that relating my experience was necessary; just because folks don't talk to everyone about everything they know does not make them elitist. In addition, I'm pretty sure that they put in a fair amount of time & effort to safely doing these canyons about which they had no previous beta (great post Penny, thanks!), and that option is openly available to everyone willing to take the time & effort.

Cheers,

Wayne Burns, professional brewer & unprofessional hiker-with-ropes

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    really, Really, REALLY weird, squabbling over holes in the ground and taking it so personally.
    The single best line of this entire bizarre thread. Thank you!

And thanks for the beta and good photos.

Name:  4FCSbgT3y4..jpg
Views: 402
Size:  434.3 KB
    So here's what I am guessing now:

1. possibly just a wash with a very short slot at the top, probably not worth
    the trouble.
    2. Dave's not Dead
    3. Inferno
    4. Paradiso
    5. Purgatory
    6. another wash

Guys

Interesting thread. So many great canyons, so little time.

That damn Google. They're ruining every thing.

Ken

Its been awhile since I have been there. I remember the handshake but was it right or left handed and did we do the secret dance before or after the handshake?

Life is Good

I mean no disrespect to the people who have been trying to contact me. I'm simply not interested in having private conversations about beta.
    I also mean no disrespect to anyone. But with this attitude, you might be depriving yourself of a rewarding set of experiences. Several years ago, I first joined one of these online sandboxes looking for info, trying to connect the dots on a canyon whose info was not yet completely explicit. I might have even been, without any justification whatsoever, a trifle demanding. The reaction from the so-called "elitists?" A gracious response. Personal time out from a busy schedule. Private conversations about the beta in question. And a variety of canyon days with people and places I never would have seen on my own. Every one of these people seemed like a great friend to have. But with friends, you can't dictate terms to them when asking for help. Cheers, and best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Cop View Post
    Jason/Goof, I apologize if I misunderstand some of what & who you are referring to, but I felt I needed to chime in. I'm not looking to jump into the middle of this debate, but your last post refers to people for whom I must speak up. I had the pleasure of meeting & doing some canyons with some of the folks I believe you are referring to. I can tall you that all that I did was email & ask if they'd be willing to have me join them. I explained that I had done the canyon before to allay any legitimate concerns regarding me being over my head (it was Imlay). I was cheerfully invited, cheerfully greeted, and asked on one of those so-called "secret-handshake" canyons the next day. What was asked of me by them? Be a part of the team & have fun. That was it. They were open & welcoming, I experienced the opposite of what you described there with terms like "elitist". In addition, they have continued to be good friends who I feel fortunate to have met.

Regardless of what experiences you have had I felt that relating my experience was necessary; just because folks don't talk to everyone about everything they know does not make them elitist. In addition, I'm pretty sure that they put in a fair amount of time & effort to safely doing these canyons about which they had no previous beta (great post Penny, thanks!), and that option is openly available to everyone willing to take the time & effort.

Cheers,

Wayne Burns, professional brewer & unprofessional hiker-with-ropes
    They may be the cheeriest group of people this side of the Mississippi- but if they are withholding information because they are taking the "this is my private slot" kind of mentality, then friendliness has nothing to do with it. They're still being elitists. Any time you deny information to people that ask, just because they didn't "go through proper channels" or "earn it", you are being an elitist.

And yes, that means Tom, Shane, and everybody else who has a website with beta are elitists in ways, because they do withhold information on certain canyons. BUT. They have also more than made up for it by offering beta on many other canyons. When you are a dick about ALL your beta, and don't offer anything to anyone, thats when you stay an elitist d-bag.

Is it right? Yes, and no. Sure, we all want to protect out special areas. We all want to feel that feeling of seclusion, and isolation when we go out, and telling others makes us feel like we are losing that. That's what the ultimate goal is, isn't it? Nobody really wants to go out into a LWH style circus environment.

But let's talk about the safety of it for a moment: what if someone was to ask about a canyon, and get nothing but a few whispers of beta about it? Let's say that person then says "screw it, I'm interested", but because he/she has NO clue what's in the canyon, and maybe brings not enough/the wrong gear and ends up trapped, hurt, or worse, killed, because certain people were being stingy with beta. How would you feel if someone died in your "hidden" canyon, all because you were being a jackass about releasing info? Yes, most of the blame lies on the person who went in, but if someone died, because you simply didn't want to drop even a little bit of beta, and you are perfectly fine with it, then you are one cold motherf&#%er.

Not releasing beta is not going to keep people out. People are always going to explore, and isn't it safer to everyone, and better to the "image" of the canyoneering population as a group, to prevent more injuries/accidents/deaths? To keep more people out of the news for rescues/deaths?

I understand completely the mentality here- it's the same with boating and new creeks, and skiing and great sledding zones. We all want them, and we all want to hide them too. It's human nature. Hide what you have. But you have to decide at some point where the line is drawn between hiding canyons for your own selfish desires, and offering enough beta to prevent someone from hurting themselves.

You don't have to post a step by step guide to a canyon when someone asks. If it's sensitive or special to you, then just give enough for people to be safe. Just say, "you will need a xx Meter Rope, expect xx rappels. Some water. Enjoy". That's more than enough right there. It will still require the asking party to explore and use their heads and skills, but even just a little word of mouth can go a long way towards preventing catastrophes.

In the end, it doesn't matter how over protective you get over a canyon or canyon system. With the ever increasing popularity in canyoneering, and the increasing skill set of the average user, there is going to be nothing but a steady increase in the number of people doing it. This is not the Escalante of the 70's and 80's. This is not Zion 30 years ago. If you cant handle people being in "your canyons", then get a new hobby and forget about this one, because it's not going to change. If you can't handle seeing people in your "hidden zones", then get out. Because nothing will stop people from exploring, and it's not like you can cap the number of canyoneers out there.

Exploring is what you did when you first found those canyons, isn't it? Surely you were told at least a little whisper on where to go look. So why do you get to explore and find these places, and have a great experience, but others don't? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.....

As a budding canyoneer, I often times come across many questions about canyons I've seen in person, on GE, or on the map. Sometimes my questions are answered, and sometimes they aren't. It's part of playing the game. In the end, when people want to be d-bags, then so be it, and I will just go find another canyon to explore, because there are so many places in the wilds of the Colorado Plateau that you can always find what you need. I don't get mad when people deny me beta. I just file them under the category of "Jerk-offs I will never associate with", and then move on. I'm not going to berate you on being a d-bag, obviously you are fine with your actions and that's all there is.

A good example I have is not a canyon, but an area you may have heard of called "The Wave". I'm sure there's a small, crusty population out there that daily bemoans and begrudges Mike Kelsey and others from bringing their "special zone" to the public's attention. However, with all the beta out there, and the thousands of people that have been there, and the millions of pictures, we [my family and I] went out there one day, and you know what? We had the place to ourselves, and it was INCREDIBLE. My appreciation wasn't diminished because it was a "known" spot. My experience wasn't altered because I knew people had been there before. In fact, with the help of a map, and some basic directions, we were able to go right to it, and not have to spend precious daylight wandering around looking for it. We knew to look for other neat features nearby too. In the end, the large amount of beta actually helped me enjoy the day more.

Shane, Tom, etc- Thank you guys SO MUCH for everything you do to provide beta to the group. Nobody has asked you to do it, and every time I look at one of your websites, I'm stoked that you have offered what you have. I know there are canyons you don't list, and that is your choice, but like I said, you more than make up for it with your willingness to distribute beta on others. You choose your battles, and 98% of the time you are friendly and approachable, and that more than makes up for anything you withhold, at least to me.

Slot Machine- don't let a few jerks get you down. Keep up your explorations, and keep that positivity coming. It's people like yourself that redeem canyoneers as a whole, from the d-bags who want to keep everything on lockdown.

I know people will rag on me for jumping in and not being a "veteran canyoneer". But bottom line, I've been through this debate many times in my life. Just exchange "slot canyon" for "steep creek" or "pillow lines" or "waterfall" or "sled zone". It's all the same. And in the end, just MY opinions. Nobody elses. In the end, I will tell ANYbody ANYthing about ANYwhere I have been. Why? Well that's just it. Not "why". But, "Why not?" My pride and ego are not going to prevent me from potentially keeping people safe, or from showing somebody something incredible. But that's just me, and I only speak for one.

-End of Line-

Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    But with this attitude, you might be depriving yourself of a rewarding set of experiences.
    I do realize this, maybe I should clarify-

If you are trying to contact me to go for a hike I'm VERY interested in talking
    privately. I understand that hiking with certain people in the canyoneering
    community can be very fun and rewarding, however I refuse to behave in any
    strange secretive way in order to share their company.

If you want to work out a deal to stop the progress of this thread I'm not
    interested at all.

If you want to send beta privately to be posted on this thread, I will be happy
    to do so without revealing your identity.

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    In the end, I will tell ANYbody ANYthing about ANYwhere I have been. Why? Well that's just it. Not "why". But, "Why not?" My pride and ego are not going to prevent me from potentially keeping people safe, or from showing somebody something incredible.
    Excellent point. Awesome post. Thanks.

I think the "elitest" attitude is in many cases a myth, assumed by people who spend too much time on internet forums assuming the intentions of canyoneers they've never met or interacted with face to face. Generally everyone I've met doing canyons are open and are all about sharing places they hold dear. I think it's just a matter of differing opinions on what the best way to share canyons is, many peoples main motivation being to keep canyons from being "destroyed," not because they want it for their personal playground (what ways a canyon can be destroyed is also a topic where many different opinions abound, some consider placing a bolt destruction, others feel it's ok to carry a g-pick and hammer out hook holes to get past obstacles).

In my observation, there are three main trains of thought on sharing beta. The first is to share beta in an organized manner using ethics set aside by the canyoneering community so the author of the beta can plead with all using their info to follow those ethics (Shane's site and Tom's Zion guidebook are good examples of this approach). The second I've seen is the show don't tell idea. Basically I can take you to a place I found, you can take your friends, just please don't broadband the beta on an internet forum so every redneck and Mike Kelsey follower can read it and start chipping g-pick holes etc... If I show you the canyon can easily be done without bolts, holes, or significant rope grooves... when you come back you will show your friends the same. This idea is not a matter of keeping the canyons your own personal secret spot, it's viewed as a way of showing everyone who goes into them that they can be done safely with minimal impact to the environment. The third idea is to post beta about every canyon everywhere because it is our land and we all have the right to recreate in it. I believe many sharers of beta have thought this at one point but after seeing the damage that has been done in some canyons by a FEW irresponsible souls (I really believe this is an issue of a few messing it up for everyone), their desire to throw beta out on the internet for ANYONE to read drops significantly... some would possibly even consider it irresponsible to do so.

Contrary to the belief of some, there is no secret handshake, no special vodoo, no initiation, just send your fellow canyoneers emails asking to get invited on trips and believe it or not, you'll probably get invited, have a great time, and meet lots of new friends. Go to freezefest and you'll meet many of these elitists and probably become friends with them and get invited on lots of future trips. You'll also probably expand your skill set as many of these elitists are very willing to teach new and awesome ways to get past obstacles that you and your group of friends never thought of. I never saw where Tom was discouraging Slot Machine to do these canyons, he just warned that aside from Dave's not Dead, they are not so easy and doesn't want anyone getting in over their heads. Tom also pleaded that he keep them as clean as possible, bolts and G-picks aren't needed in them, but there are places where one might think they are. He's just looking out for him and the canyons.

In surgery we have a number of folksy expressions that are little nuggets of professional wisdom like: Better is the enemy of good. One of my favorites is: Painful lessons often times relearned. I think this latter saying is applicable to this thread.

From the outside, share but don't tell canyons may seem like elitist BS. However this is ad hoc solution to what happens when natural resources are loved to death. The lesson of Edward Abbey's Desert Solitude is that developing natural lands by paving roads and calling them a National Park is the surest way for them to be loved to death. Do we have any doubt that paving the Hole in the Rock Road and making the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument a National Park would wreck the very character that makes it such a special place. No we don't even as this eventuality will be inevitable. If you publicize a canyon on the internet, you should not be surprised to see rope grooves, bolt gardens, and other canyoneering detritus when you return.

Personally, I am still busy getting to the awesome and painfully well described canyons out there. I for one am not ready to throw myself down a canyon for which I have no information. As a personal choice, I do not believe that would be a safe one for me. At the same time, I embrace that it is still possible for this type of exploration by intrepid souls. Does that mean I am missing out on amazing canyons that are on the "secret handshake" list. Probably.

I think it is commendable that the very individuals responsible for popularizing canyoneering also recognize that the pristine experience they had in the canyons they popularized is no longer the same and are taking steps to limit or at least slow the process that is inherent when canyons are widely publicized.

Hypocrisy? Some might view it so. Respectfully, I would argue that rather than hypocrisy, it represents insight and wisdom. Wisdom comes when you realize that what you have done in the past is not working so you try something else.

Rather than pounding their chest about how great their canyoneering prowess, these individuals are taking personal responsibility to help preserve some of the last pristine places on the Colorado Plateau. I for one would rather see this type of ad hoc solution than one that involves standing in a lottery with a 100 people to see it I will get a permit to hike Neon canyon.

Ken

At this moment this thread has been viewed 1,388 times?
    Another Canyoneering topic thread; 10 Canyons for Noobies has nearly 9,000 hits.

Listen! This is the voice of your Grandmother: "Where are your manners?"

Come on! People are reading this stuff! Some of you fail to even sign your name to your post(s)! If this diminishing kind of dialogue occurred in a face-to-face setting, there would likely be guns, knives, bloody noses and all would be sent to the principal's office. Your parents would be called, your granny saddened and expulsion warranted in many cases! Who among you would dare to say such nasty things to someone's face?!

Whatever the motives behind the 58 posts in this thread, it saddens me to know that this kind of ingredient now is in the mix I call The Collective Canyoneering Community. Am I totally naive in my thinking here? I joined Bogley in 2009 (as carverbc) and the Yahoo Canyons group a bit later. Since that time I have enjoyed several hundred canyons and met more than that number of canyoneers. I have not met ANYONE that I can match up with the nasty names nor the insulting insinuations that are being tossed around here. Where are all these nasty people hiding? One would think that I would have bumped into at least a few. In the real world (out in the canyons) has anyone met any of these nasty folks? Really? E-mail me in private, I would like know if I'm lucky or naive.

Whether a canyon is found, shared, not shared, put into a guide book, bolted, ghosted, it pales in importance in my personal view to the importance of the lessons we learned in kindergarten or from your Grandparents. Rudeness and bullying need not be a part of a civil discussion.

There has been 2,353 views of the thread American Canyoneers Need Your Input. Even there, a fledgling volunteer attempt to benefit our community is assaulted. Come on folks! Who among us doesn't hold each of the folks on the iBod there in very high esteem? Come on! WHO?

Some folks have done a stellar job of posting varied view points with respect. Many have tried to moderate the tone when it got nasty. I applaud those efforts. This post follows two more eloquently put than mine.

The others? I invite you; next time you speak to your Mom or Grandparent, maybe your 3-year-old, or your wife/husband listen to the tone in your voice. I suspect that when/if I meet you out in the canyons, I'll hear that same tone. I look forward to that.

Respectfully,
    Jenny (Luella and Edna's Grand daughter)