Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Amazing Slots?

Super Amazing Slots?

This drainage caught my eye while cruising Google Earth. From left to right,
    does anybody know the names of these 6 slots (if they have names)? Is there any
    beta on this area? Slot #6 doesn't look like a slot from space, more like a
    sandy wash. They appear to have a nice road that leads straight to the edge of
    the drainage, I assume it's not for the view...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

far left = daves not dead, can find it here - http://www.ajroadtrips.com/go/t/utah...l/davesnotdead . i give it a 5 out of 10. teh others i don't know. i heard the next one east of daves not dead is the highlight of the complex. don't pass up a hike out onto good hope mesa to look off the edge over lake powell and the surrounding country. nice.

Name:  daves not dead 00&.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  daves not dead 00&.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  daves not dead 01&.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  70.5 KB
    signature

Cool! Nice pics! It is always nice to find a reassuring cairn in the middle of
    a technical canyon. I'll be sure to check out the view from good hope
    mesa. Jason, thanks for the info!

From left to right:

1. Dave's not Dead
    2. ?? (the best one?)
    3. ??
    4. ??
    5. ??
    6. looks like a sandy wash.

Anybody else?

My detective work today uncovered some revealing stuff:

I found Anton Solovyev hiked a canyon on Ticaboo Mesa called Paradiso (Rated
    3AII)
    http://www.solovyev.com/outdoors/outdoor-resume.html

I also found that 13'er Girl hiked this same Paradiso
    http://www.13ergirl.com/paradiso/paradiso.html
    AND a canyon called Inferno.

Oddly her Paradiso and Inferno links read the same thing:
    *** The content of this page was removed on 8/29/11 due to the outrage of unkown
    member(s) of the canyoneering community ***

This REALLY sparked my interest. Outrage? Demanding a legit climber/canyoneer
    modify her website? Really?

Oh yeah, aren't these the very same names of Dante's books? What about
    Purgatorio?

So I Google: Purgatory and Ticaboo and discover Purgatory on Alan Silverstein's
    http://silgro.com/trip_reports/2008....well.htm#Sep17

And I Google: Dante and Canyoneering and discover Dante 5 on Luke Gaylan's
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11622...ums?banner=pwa

So here's what I think: Since Dante's Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso were
    written in that order, I think the missing canyons go by those names in that
    order.

From left to right:

1. Dave's not Dead
    2. Inferno
    3. Paradiso
    4. Purgatory
    5. Dante 5
    6. sandy wash

Can anybody verify if this is correct? Is there any beta on the Dante's? They
    must be good if they inspire "outrage... in the canyoneering community".

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    blank

Quote Originally Posted by juaquin.phoenix View Post
    Bro, you gotta lot of free time for internet canyon investigation? Perhaps you should be out doing canyons and building relationships instead of broad-banding canyons that others toil and sweat helped pioneer. I don't know anything about these slots but there's probably a decent reason why they haven't been put out there. Moreover, you seem to be wanting to burn your bridges before their even built.
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    From left to right:

1. Dave's not Dead
    2. Inferno
    3. Paradiso
    4. Purgatory
    5. Dante 5
    6. sandy wash

Nice detective work. You have to love Google Earth.

You are free to post whatever you wish and ask questions as these canyons belong to all of us. If folks choose to help you or not in your quest that is their prerogative.

And when I hear the words pioneer used in regards to Lake Powell canyons I have to chuckle. Before the dam was built every inch of the shoreline had to be surveyed. The surveys were done from both river and rim. And those survey crews followed the miners and Anasazi that came before them.

You might find this useful when researching Lake Powell, it contains some good stuff.

http://silgro.com/LakePowell-hikes.htm#DougsSoundCave

It's from a hiker, but adventurous hikers know where the slots that stopped them are located and normally have good intel.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Nice detective work. You have to love Google Earth.

You are free to post whatever you wish and ask questions as these canyons belong to all of us. If folks choose to help you or not in your quest that is their prerogative.

And when I hear the words pioneer used in regards to Lake Powell canyons I have to chuckle. Before the dam was built every inch of the shoreline had to be surveyed. The surveys were done from both river and rim. And those survey crews followed the miners and Anasazi that came before them.

You might find this useful when researching Lake Powell, it contains some good stuff.

http://silgro.com/LakePowell-hikes.htm#DougsSoundCave

It's from a hiker, but adventurous hikers know where the slots that stopped them are located and normally have good intel.
    x2, what he said. I would even volunteer to help you explore these bad boys and post trip reports, but they are a little out of my range. I only venture that far when I know it's a damn good canyon and worth the 4.5 hour drive.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Seriously, what are you talking about? Are you saying because some boater saw them or some surveyor walked past them, they are fair game for any 'Goblin's lair' beginner with google maps? This outlook has and will get someone killed or injured. Don't diminish the work of others for your own reasons!

JP
    Quiet down noobie.

Seriously, what are you talking about? Are you saying because some boater saw them or some surveyor walked past them, they are fair game for any 'Goblin's lair' beginner with google maps? This outlook has and will get someone killed or injured. Don't diminish the work of others for your own reasons!
    Pleaseeezzzz

Slot Machine is doing this the correct way.... he is digging out his maps and looking for potential. After he finds potential he is asking around to try and gather more information. I assume his next steps will be to take what he learns and explore the slots.... that is the same path taken by those who explored the slots before him. Just because someone was first gives them no special privilege.

And since Slot Machine has been doing his research in a calculated and methodical way I assume he will use the same approach to exploring the slots and go loaded for bear.

Now comes the dilemma for those who have beta on the routes…. Do you share the beta with Slot Machine, and in doing so share your ethics and ask him to respect those ethics, or do you let him explore on his own, bolt if he desires, and brand the routes with his own ethics?

blank

blank

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Shane makes the point on Lake Powell that.....
    Actually that was NOT my point at all.... my point was either share your beta with Slot Machine and entangle him in any secret handshakes you wish and he agrees too..... or.... get the hell out of his way and stop trying to hinder his right to enjoy the slots as he sees fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Bogley is generally a welcoming place, but certain members go out of their way to make sure everyone knows they are the biggest a** in the room.

Tom
    I must ask, is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black? I have always wondered what the "A" in the elusive "A Team" stood for. Thank you for clarifying Tom. By the way, I can sell you a rope to use after your initiation into our secret organization..........

I am with Ice, canyons are for all to enjoy. Tom, at some point your secretive nature regarding these canyons will blow up in your face and the rest of us will have a difficult time holding back the "I told you so....."

Slot Machine, please share your trip report after exploration. You should not be required to provide a secret handshake for admission into the A** hole team.....

Can a mod trace the IP of Juaquin and Patagonia, I bet they are the same. Tom's alter ego. No way there are two elitest "A-team" pricks raging in the same thread.

Edit: Wait another new guy! Now who is this? *I swear it's not me*

blank

blank

Super cool trolls in this thread!

There are plenty of beta-ed canyons out there. Its nice to have some places that are still free of publication.

Exploration is awesome too! Just make sure you are going in there with a very broad range of skill-sets and ready for things that make you want to press the panic button on your spot. Not all canyons are as human friendly as the Irish ones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Can a mod trace the IP of Juaquin and Patagonia, I bet they are the same. Tom's alter ego. No way there are two elitest "A-team" pricks raging in the same thread.

Edit: Wait another new guy! Now who is this? *I swear it's not me*
    DC, I generally like you, generally most of the time. However, please refrain from name-calling at newbs.

Bogley is a welcoming place, please use more discipline next time. Angry Dialogue, contentious-dialogue, etc. is fine - - - - - name-calling is NOT okay. Unless its in the Rubbish Bin.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"