Thread: Lower Hackberry (GSENM)

Lower Hackberry (GSENM)

Been thinking about some 2012 plans so I hope someone can help me out with this one! I would like to break my daughter (she will be three by then) into an easy backpack trip. I have seen hackberry and hiked up a short distance and think it would be fun to hike up a couple miles (2-3) set up a base camp, etc. I have a couple questions

1. Does anyone know the typical biting insect season for Hackberry? I hiked yellow rock in may two years ago and gnats ate my wife alive is this the same in the canyon? Horseflies?
    2. I understand cattle are sometimes in the canyon are there good springs for other than the stream for water filtering? How far up canyon from trailhead are these springs?
    3. How much of a problem is quicksand?
    4. I would assume there are some good sandy benches/beach areas for campsites?
    5. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

1. Does anyone know the typical biting insect season for Hackberry?
    Typically ~mid-May through mid July, but shorter (and sometimes earlier) in dry years and much longer in wet years.

2. I understand cattle are sometimes in the canyon are there good springs for
    other than the stream for water filtering? How far up canyon from trailhead are
    these springs?
    There are some springs just up Hackberry from the Sam Pollock Junction, but that's probably ~4 miles in. There are probably some springs in the Cockscomb Narrows as well, at the Navajo/Kayenta contact. The creek water in Hackberry itself usually isn't that bad since it get filtered through the sand. I would filter any non-spring water though, but unless it's raining the creek is clear.

3. How much of a problem is quicksand?
    None at least not in any of the several trips that I've been there.

4. I would assume there are some good sandy benches/beach areas for campsites?
    Once you are through the Cockscomb Narrows, thre are plenty of campsites in Hackberry. The ones just above the narrows tend to be grassy and progressively more sandy as you continue up canyon.

5. Any other suggestions/thoughts?
    It may be too far, but if you have the time and it isn't, see if you can get into Stone Donkey and into the slot there. It may be too far for your 3 year old though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I was there in May and didn't have any problems with bugs -- but granted I may have just been lucky. Quicksand wasn't a problem either.

One other note -- I wouldn't recommend going up to Sam Pollock with a little one. There are many boulders to scramble over and then one ledge where you want/need to have very sure footing.

- Jamal

One other note -- I wouldn't recommend going up to Sam Pollock with a little
    one. There are many boulders to scramble over and then one ledge where you
    want/need to have very sure footing.
    http://www.summitpost.org/kessler-s-...m-age-3/286259

On a more serious note, I think the rockfall in Hackberry is actually not far below Stone Donkey Canyon and quite a ways above Sam Pollock?

Or are you speaking of going up Sam Pollock Canyon itself up to the arch? Definately not a route for small kids.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Yep, I was recommending to NOT go up Sam Pollock side canyon all the way to the arch. Big boulders at the bottom and then this ledge up closer to the arch:

Name:  PollockLedge..jpg
Views: 332
Size:  82.1 KB

When I was there the rockfall in main Hackberry had a pretty easy trail winding through it.

- Jamal

PS -- Kessler is such a cool name, Scott.

Yep, I was recommending to NOT go up Sam Pollock side canyon all the way to the
    arch.
    Excellent advice for sure!

First off thanks for the advice, second my daughter is no Kessler although she is steadily improving and only ends up on my neck/back for about 1/2 the hike!