Thread: iPhone Flashlight Helps Save Lost Hiker

iPhone Flashlight Helps Save Lost Hiker

THE GIST
    • A Maryland man lost while hiking on New Year's Eve used his iPhone to signal his location.
    • He called for help using the phone and then used the phone's flashlight to help a helicopter locate him.

The iPhone flashlight helped a lost Maryland man signal a helicopter for help.
    Apple

iPhone to the rescue!

A Maryland man lost while hiking on New Year's Eve is thanking modern technology for his rescue, MyFoxDC reports.

Christopher Tkacik wasn't alone out in the woods, he had his best friend and hiking companion with him, his dog named Boo. The pair are back home in Mount Airy, Md., safe and sound, rescued with the help of his smartphone by helicopter after being lost in the woods.

Tkacik and his pooch were hiking in Gambrill State Park when they crossed the same creek for the fourth time and knew they were lost. He called 911 and the sheriff sent a helicopter.

At home, his wife Aysem sent Tkacik a text message.

"At 5:23 p.m., I ask,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

how long before it becomes a comercial? Gotta an app for that? (Minus the map part.)

Actually the SAR helicopter pilots I have talked to say even the display light on a cell phone is a great rescue tool. If they are searching in the dark with night vision glass the cell phone display lights it up.

Good

Good - i love the touchscreen although it takes some getting used to. The voicemail functionality is AWESOME...you no longer have to dial a number, put in a password and hit 1 to listen. The SMS messaging is cool too -- it;s keeps a running dialogue rather than a new message for a single contact. The Itunes viewing and photo images are nice

Bad -- i'm used to smartphones/pdas so the lack of programs like excel and word are a little disappointing. Also, although i was an att customer already, none of my contacts can be transferred over. I have to completely type thme in manually -- annoying. I am also afraid of scratching the screen -- because you use the screen so much the plastic / hard case like I have for my ipod don't make sense